Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
2010/2011 WCICS Official Thread >

2010/2011 WCICS Official Thread

2010/2011 WCICS Official Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Had a blast in Edmonton - kudo's to the team up there for putting on a great race!

And kudo's to Ivan, who (if my arithmetic is correct) completed 1793 laps in qualifying and in the mains.

I'm sure he was closer to 2000 if you include warmup laps, and practice.

Amazing.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks to everyone in Edmonton who put on a great race (as usual!)

I had a blast racing and socializing....that's why I love the WCICS series!

I can't believe how close most of the racing is in this series...how about 9 seconds between 3rd and 11th in qualifying for Touring Stock...amazing!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 11-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Talking

Really glad I came down for this race. Planning on showing up for the Calgary round next. Wish I could show up for more.

To the Edmonton crew, amazing job guys. You could set your watch by the amount of time between heats. At the end of the day you weren't tired because things ran on time. The track was very challenging. Took a lot to get the cars setup and the driver's used to it.
Huge thanks to Peter and Wayne for the setup tips. I'd still be pulling what's left of my hair out trying to make my cars driveable, never mind competitive if it wasn't for you guys.
And thanks to everybody I raced against for their patience as i seemed to hit everybody that came within 2 feet of me while i was getting my cars sorted out in qualifying.

Can't wait for our indoor season to start up here (January???) so I can be better prepared for the next round.

Cheers everybody.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
WOW, the bar has been set pretty high for the next race. AWESOME job by all the crew in Edmonton. Good to see old and new faces, hope everyone had as much fun as I had. Hope to see everyone in Lethbridge.

Oh and if everyone does show up in Lethbridge, those pits could be cramped. (Ivan might have to leave half the fleet at home, and Josh will have to share a table this time, lol.)

lol, Gary, you know I can squeeze into tight places when I need to!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
WOW, the bar has been set pretty high for the next race. AWESOME job by all the crew in Edmonton. Good to see old and new faces, hope everyone had as much fun as I had. Hope to see everyone in Lethbridge.

Oh and if everyone does show up in Lethbridge, those pits could be cramped. (Ivan might have to leave half the fleet at home, and Josh will have to share a table this time, lol.)
Actually Gary, I only got half the table to use and a spot on Joe's table to put 2 cars on (Thanks Joe!). Apparently Susan's laptop and work stuff was more important than getting all the cars up and running. But I made it work.

Ivan

ps. post your T3 setup when you get a chance please. It sure look planted in the finals against you. May run mine in Lethbridge cause changing motors/gearing/speedo settings in a photon is just too much work between Stock/SS.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dog Bone
Had a blast in Edmonton - kudo's to the team up there for putting on a great race!

And kudo's to Ivan, who (if my arithmetic is correct) completed 1793 laps in qualifying and in the mains.

I'm sure he was closer to 2000 if you include warmup laps, and practice.

Amazing.
You have too much time on your hands Miller.

Ivan
Old 11-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

I had an awesome time in Edmonton as well. Thanks to all responsible for putting it on.

Honourable mention to Greg from Grande Prairie for lending me an ESC after my little mishap. Thanks Greg!

Can't wait until Lethbridge see you all there.

However, I was a little disappointed in seeing a young girl crying because of comments made to her on the driver's stand. Way to drive newcomers away from the hobby fellas.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Talking

Originally Posted by Timbulb
I had an awesome time in Edmonton as well. Thanks to all responsible for putting it on.

Honourable mention to Greg from Grande Prairie for lending me an ESC after my little mishap. Thanks Greg!

Can't wait until Lethbridge see you all there.

However, I was a little disappointed in seeing a young girl crying because of comments made to her on the driver's stand. Way to drive newcomers away from the hobby fellas.
Anytime Tim.

And the incident with the young girl definitely was not cool. Even more unfortunate is that she wasn't the only one who had to deal with bullying on the driver's stand.

Peter Tozser never said one unkind word on the driver's stand when he had to deal with my meagre driving abilities in quallies. If guys like him keep unsportsmanlike remarks to themselves maybe the rest of us should deal with our frustrations in a professional manner also.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Great job by the Edmonton crew this weekend. Mandie, outstanding job on the mike all weekend.

One suggestion for the WCICS to adopt for next time: to do a pre-sort for qualifying, based on either some form of past results that make sense or even just having racers mark a preference on the entry form as to which qualifying heat A, B or C they'd prefer to be pre-sorted into.

Having it mixed across the board makes it frustrating for both the racers constantly having to make room for the faster cars, and also those racers trying to get around slower cars.
I agree that dealing with traffic is part of racing, but I think it would be more enjoyable for everyone if the pre-sort was closer than simply random.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maniac mechanic
Anytime Tim.

And the incident with the young girl definitely was not cool. Even more unfortunate is that she wasn't the only one who had to deal with bullying on the driver's stand.
I agree, that kind of stuff should not be tolerated, which race was she in?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There was a lot of talking and laughing during that race, it was also a race no one took seriously. So what ever comment was said was taken taken the wrong way. She raced with us all weekend and it wasn't anything new. Anyhow I don't know why I feel the need to explain anything here.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc pete
Great job by the Edmonton crew this weekend. Mandie, outstanding job on the mike all weekend.

One suggestion for the WCICS to adopt for next time: to do a pre-sort for qualifying, based on either some form of past results that make sense or even just having racers mark a preference on the entry form as to which qualifying heat A, B or C they'd prefer to be pre-sorted into.

Having it mixed across the board makes it frustrating for both the racers constantly having to make room for the faster cars, and also those racers trying to get around slower cars.
I agree that dealing with traffic is part of racing, but I think it would be more enjoyable for everyone if the pre-sort was closer than simply random.
I brought up the presorts last year and at the final meeting.
I thought the vote was to resort after the 1st round of qualifying?

Also was it just me or did anyone else notice how smooth the driving was after the resort in the 3rd qualifier...............

And this is on page one of this thread voted in for this year, but not followed......

2. Qualifying is to be pre-sorted based upon standings as follows; changed from current random sorting at all events:
a. The first qualifier of the season will be sorted based upon the total final point standings of the previous WCICS season.
b. The first qualifying round of all following races is to be pre-sorted based upon the current WCICS point standings.

3. Resorts will be done after every round (1, 2, 3 & 4); changed from resorts after rounds 2, 3 & 4 only.

This is also why using rcsignup would help, so the RD could set up the heats faster then on Friday night or Saturday morning.

On a side note could the hosting club make sure tires are available for purchase with the correct signatures on them.
IMHO as long as your able to register, tires should be made available to buy. Even if the person responsible for selling/signing them goes home early on Friday night. Thanks.

Last edited by chongo; 11-09-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by safaridog
There was a lot of talking and laughing during that race, it was also a race no one took seriously. So what ever comment was said was taken taken the wrong way. She raced with us all weekend and it wasn't anything new. Anyhow I don't know why I feel the need to explain anything here.
Guilt maybe?????
Old 11-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rc pete

That issue was identified, and the reps had a meeting about it afterward. That was indeed voted on at Calgary, then when we switched to the reps voting structure it was, unfortunately, not captured in the rule set.

So we reconfirmed with an official vote (no Lethbridge rep was available but the Edmonton, Calgary and Sask reps were unanimous) for the following:

1. First round of qualifying will be sorted based upon the current points standings. With this issue addressed we will still have 2 rounds before a resort so that if someone has one bad round, technical failure, or misses thier first round they don't get dropped to the very bottom (i.e. Pete breaks a part and ends up at the bottom of the D qualifier). If you've had 2 bad rounds, then I'm sure you understand what's going to happen on the resort. This is slightly modified from what was voted in Calgary, due to the above reason.

This also gives incentive to make all the rounds, as if you miss a race, say Sask, you'll be dropped down the points and be grided lower in Calgary.

2. The "mains" heat structures (which needs to be a balance between awarding points for the series, as well as ensuring that everyone has fun) will be the following:

Heats will be structured according to a 50% rule. When the number of racers in the last heat is at or below 50% of the max number of cars in a heat, the last 2 heats will be split, and if there is an odd number of cars, the faster heat will have 1 more than the slower heat.

Specifically, for Calgary, Edmonton, Sask where there are 10 cars:

10 cars, you run 1 full heat
11 cars, 6 in faster heat, 5 in next heat
12 cars, 6 in faster heat, 6 in next heat
13 cars, 7 in faster heat, 6 in next heat
14 cars, 7 in faster heat, 7 in next heat
15 cars, 8 in faster heat, 7 in next heat
16+ cars, 10 in faster heat, 6+ in next heat

For Lethbridge it would be:

8 cars, you run 1 full heat
9 cars, 5 in faster heat, 4 in next heat
10 cars, 5 in faster heat, 5 in next heat
13+ cars, 8 in faster heat, 6+ in next heat

This balances between making sure the last main doesn't have 1 or 2 people in it (we've seen that happen in the last couple of years), with also understanding that we're racing for points, and it is possible for the guy who qualified 10th, to end up winning that race.

On a personal note, almost exactly this happend in Edmonton to myself. I was 8th in 12th stock, actually assumed I would be in the A, but with 16 they split it in half. My B winning time would have put me in 3rd in the A (of course it would have been a different race, who knows what would have actually happened).

Before anyone complains, yes, there are a multitude of different ways to do this, and it changes the balance between making sure the guys racing want points (and yes, we're aware Snowbirds, ETS, IIC, etc fully stack all the mains and if that leaves 1 guy in the last, so be it), and the guys that just want to have fun. This is what was discussed, voted, and decided. If you have questions or comments, please talk to your WCICS rep directly. They're listed in the first post of this thread.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Decided to repost everything here for easier reference:

Your current WCICS reps are:

Edmonton: Ian de la Salle
Calgary: Josh Carter
Regina: Kevin "Dadda" Phillips
Lethbridge: Dave Cole & Chris Clifton

WCICS Dates:

Edmonton: November 6 & 7
Lethbridge: January TBD
Regina: February TBD
Calgary: March TBD

WCICS Summary Table (apologies for the formatting, the forum keeps collapsing my table so it's crammed together)
Class Weight (g) Tire Motor ESC Boost Battery
1. TC Stock 1420g Jaco Blue 17.5 No 2 cell ROAR lipo or 6 cell
2. TC SS 1420g Jaco Blue 13.5 Yes 2 cell ROAR lipo or 6 cell
3. Tamiya Mini 1200g Tamiya Silver No 3600 Lipo or NiMH
4. 1/12 Stock 730g Open Tire 17.5 Yes 1 cell ROAR lipo
5. 1/12 SS 730g Open Tire 10.5 Yes 1 cell ROAR lipo
6. WGT 950g WGT Tire 13.5 Yes 1 cell ROAR lipo
7. Touring GT (rules as per WCICS site)

And VTA is now included in the Touring GT class. Currently the rules are:
7. VTA 1450g HPI VTA Spec 21.5 No 2 cell
Note: these are what the currently running VTA guys in Alberta are running, the follow the early 2010 rules, which were recently changed to 25.5 motors. For this year, the above rules are in place.

1. First round of qualifying will be sorted based upon the current points standings. With this issue addressed we will still have 2 rounds before a resort so that if someone has one bad round, technical failure, or misses thier first round they don't get dropped to the very bottom (i.e. Pete breaks a part and ends up at the bottom of the D qualifier). If you've had 2 bad rounds, then I'm sure you understand what's going to happen on the resort. This is slightly modified from what was voted in Calgary, due to the above reason.

This also gives incentive to make all the rounds, as if you miss a race, say Sask, you'll be dropped down the points and be grided lower in Calgary.

2. The "mains" heat structures (which needs to be a balance between awarding points for the series, as well as ensuring that everyone has fun) will be the following:

Heats will be structured according to a 50% rule. When the number of racers in the last heat is at or below 50% of the max number of cars in a heat, the last 2 heats will be split, and if there is an odd number of cars, the faster heat will have 1 more than the slower heat.

Specifically, for Calgary, Edmonton, Sask where there are 10 cars:

10 cars, you run 1 full heat
13 cars, 7 in faster heat, 6 in next heat
14 cars, 7 in faster heat, 7 in next heat
15 cars, 8 in faster heat, 7 in next heat
16+ cars, 10 in faster heat, 6+ in next heat

For Lethbridge it would be:

8 cars, you run 1 full heat
9 cars, 5 in faster heat, 4 in next heat
10 cars, 5 in faster heat, 5 in next heat
13+ cars, 8 in faster heat, 6+ in next heat

This balances between making sure the last main doesn't have 1 or 2 people in it (we've seen that happen in the last couple of years), with also understanding that we're racing for points, and it is possible for the guy who qualified 10th, to end up winning that race.

These are the rules and classes for this season. Any discussion of what you like or don't like should be directed to your rep, but understand these rules are fixed for the next 12 months.

Thanks to all the reps for the work over the summer, let's go racing!

Josh

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.