What about NORRCA ??

Old 01-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Default What about NORRCA ??

Hey everyone

There was some talk a while back about having NORRCA become our new sanctioning body...what was the end result of that?

Who else in Canada is interested in seeing NORRCA replace ROAR???
Old 01-13-2004, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Replace ROAR ? what has roar done in canada ?
Old 01-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The real question is what is a american based race organization going to do for a bunch of canucks? Is there no Canadian based organization out there?
Old 01-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Other than MAAC, no there isn't a Canadian organisation. (MAAC is the Canadian R/C Flying governing body, and they DO have a R/C cars rep).

And the answer re ROAR is.... they haven't done anything for Canada at all - that's been the problem all along. They just take our money and tell us to like it or leave it. So most of us left.

At least NORRCA seemed interested in working WITH the Canadian clubs to come up with a set of rules that would work in our (much smaller) environment. Unfortunately, nothing seemed to come of it.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:41 PM
Company Representative

I guess my question would be why do we need one? What benifit would there be to being under a different US orginization? After years of dealing with US based orgs, I guess you would have to sell me on why we need it. Now a completely Canadian orginization recognized by IFMAR, that I would be glad to endorse. The question is who wants to do the work for the next 4 to 5 years to get the org up and running, get all of Canada on board and go through the process of contacting IFMAR and convincing them that ROAR does nothing for us?
Old 01-13-2004, 10:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well said
Old 01-13-2004, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Default that's the problem

I agree with Gary, but he said it, who wants to organize it? That would be the only benefit of going with NORRCA, someone has already done all that work.

As for why, it was mainly to be recognized by IFMAR so it would mean something winning a Nats...you get a spot in the Worlds.

If we can get a completely Canadian org. going, great, but in the meantime what was the options with Norrca?

just want us to check everyting out and not go burning bridges.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

So you know my fisrt reply was sarcasm. i know roar has done nothing and will do nothing for canada.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

I say we're doing great on our own right now. Why complicate things.

And if anyone has the coin to go to the worlds... you can always find a way. They never fill all the Roar spots... If you have experience and have won a few events you can always find a spot... but be prepared to pay a lot of $$ if you are not fully sponsored.

Frankly the atmosphere we have now in Wester Canada is awesome and very fun oriented. We have more races going than we can attend and ... well its just damn fun. Why change it??? Lets keep going for a few more years.

Now HOSTING a worlds - that I would be into... show all these sanctioned places how its really done. Del - hint, hint 2006 Worlds... BTW. we'd be a shoe-in ... theres never been a worlds in Canada.

my 2c
Old 01-14-2004, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I contacted NORCA on three occations. Twice the President himself told me he would make sure that an information package would be sent out....I don't have it yet!! Apparently NORCA is busy building relationships in their home country and that is understandable. I would like to see a Canadian Governing Body that, when set up would oversee Regional and National level events as well as give guidelines to clubs in regards to rules that will be in use for the year. I would like to see this so that an IFMAR event could be attended by a National Champion...if IFMAR recognized the new "Canadian" sanctioning body. I'm not sure what Chris is talking about, when he says anyone can attend a Worlds event if they've got the $$$ but he has been in the hobby and industry for much longer than I, so I'll take his word on that.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

John:

Re: $$ - what I mean is that the Roar team is never full. They always have more places than racers. If you are a good racer and have the $$ to pay for the trip you can probably get a spot. *IF YOU'RE A GOOD RACER*

As far as IFMAR recognising a new sanctioning body - that won't happen... ROAR is North America ... I've been down this road before and it was not plesant at all I got redirected by the IFMAR pres to the IFMAR vice pres who was Pres of ROAR ... and he tore me a new one...
Old 02-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Wow I just happened across this. I would like to personally invite the Canadian racers and tracks to join our new organization. You can get all the details about it on our home site. We already have one Canadian track on board and would love to have others. I have an entire new concept that I am presenting. I think you will like it. We are just expanding into a world org, so please take part.

You can check us out at www.radiocontrollednation.org

Everything is free the first year. Give us a try, you have nothing to lose. Feel free to ask my any questions you may have.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Just to clarify a few things...

1. ROAR is the North American IFMAR affiliate. There is no other. Not even NORRCA.

2. NORRCA does sanction many major races within North America, including their own "Nationals". Outside of ROAR they are probably the most influential "sanctioning body" on this continent, but they are NOT, and cannot be, affiliated to IFMAR.

3. The only way to get an IFMAR affiliation is through ROAR. We had hoped a while back that ROAR would consider allowing a national organisation to affiliate THROUGH them, in the same way that the British National organisation is affiliated to IFMAR through the European governing body. However ROAR has made it quite clear that they will not allow that type of system - if you want "IFMAR", then you must be "ROAR" in North America.

IMO, forget the "Worlds". As chammond says, if you want it you can probably get it - buy a ROAR membership, and apply for any unfilled spots.

However, for the rest of us, we do still need a sanctioning body of some sort. At the moment the WCORCS people seem to have a good thing going, with a viable Western Canadian Championship. But that doesn't cover everything, not by a long shot. An example - Edmonton holds a "Canadian National On Road Championship" race. The problem is that it's simply the name they use. It has no legitimacy whatsoever. ANY club could do the same. A sanctioning body would control this aspect.

Right now we're getting by on co-operation, but that won't always be that way. Sooner or later someone will want to put on a major race that will conflict with someone else's (by title, if not by date).

It seems to me that WCORCS has already gone some way to becoming a sanctioning body. Why not go the whole hog ? Or as another idea, see if you can affiliate with MAAC to be their official presence in Off Road Racing in Western Canada ? Maybe the Western Canada Indoor Championships people could do the same for "On Road".

Or is that asking too much of "co-operation" ?
Old 02-02-2004, 04:17 PM
Company Representative

Baby steps Ren. We are starting to make inroads to making a Canadian Org, it will just take some more time to let things fall into place. I can't go into major details, but hopefully in the next few years we will be under our own banner with Ifmar recognition.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Teamanager and anyone else,
Edmonton will no longer hold, "National" events as long as I have anything to say or any influence on the direction our club takes. I agree that calling a race a National event without any formal recognition of the event is silly. It is for this reason that I took on the responsibility of organizing this summers' race, that is aptly named the, 2004 Canadian Asphalt Invitational. Please see our webpage for further information about this race as it will be the largest onroad race of its' kind to ever be run in Canada!! http://24.86.120.97/Invitational/schedule.aspx We are actively contacting clubs out east and intend to atract the best racers from arround the country with $600.00 of prize money, prizes gallor, incredible raffles and the best track in Western Canada not to mention two ROAR National Onroad Champion drivers from our fair city that will test the skill of any driver from east to west!!

I hope to see you all out here this summer....register soon as there are only 150 spots available!!!!!

John Hughes

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service