Trukz Calgary - 1/10 Scale Off road Racing

Like Tree7Likes

Trukz Calgary - 1/10 Scale Off road Racing

Old 05-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Default TRUKZ

Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike View Post
Hi all,

Just to elaborate a bit on the different classes I thought I might try to relate them to the on-road classes that alot of people are familiar with. Keep in mind that this is just how I think about these....others may rightly disagree

2wd Buggy: These are kind of like the 2wd pan cars (1/12th and WGT) in that they require the most driving skill to be fast. They require more precise inputs and a more delicate approach to driving. Having said that I personally think they are the most fun and the most satisfying to drive fast ! They are relatively simple to build and maintain and when they break they are easy to fix.

4wd Buggy: These are much more like touring cars in that they are heavier, more stable (than 2wd Buggies) and require a much more "point-and-shoot" driving style. As Rick pointed out above they are more complex so they are more work to build and maintain and there are more parts to break but they aren't any more complicated than a Touring car and they are easier to drive than the 2wd buggies, especially if traction is low.

Slash: These are the Tamiya Mini's of the offroad world. They are easy to start with, simple and incredibly durable from what I've seen. I don't actually have one (yet!) but from what I understand, they're relatively easy to drive and I believe that parts are readily available when they do break (which is rare).

2wd Truck: I don't really know that much about these as I've never owned one but I believe they are much like the 2wd Buggies with bigger tires and truck style bodies. I would expect that they'd be somewhat easier to drive than the buggies (but probably not as easy as the 4wd buggies).

Anyway, that's my take on things. Whichever class you choose (choose more than 1!) 1/10th scale electric offroad ROCKS! I am very excited that this is going ahead

GREAT ANALOGY MIKE, THANKS THIS WILL HELP ALOT OF DRIVERS FIND THE RIGHT OFF ROAD TO GET. THAT WAS GOOD

BRAD
Old 05-11-2009, 03:37 PM
mfd
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey

Just a quick reminder about the track prep night this Wednesday. If you are planning on coming out please bring a broom, shovel, and gloves if you can.

I will have some extras. We are meeting at 7:00pm.

Also the club is looking for a few race directors for the off road part on the club. I work every 1st and 2nd monday night and can't commit to every Saturday becasue of family. It would be great to have 3-4 people who would be willing to run 1-2 monday night races and 1-2 Saturday practices a month.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks

Aaron
Old 05-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Tech Master

Default truckz

Originally Posted by mfd View Post
Hey

Just a quick reminder about the track prep night this Wednesday. If you are planning on coming out please bring a broom, shovel, and gloves if you can.

I will have some extras. We are meeting at 7:00pm.

Also the club is looking for a few race directors for the off road part on the club. I work every 1st and 2nd monday night and can't commit to every Saturday becasue of family. It would be great to have 3-4 people who would be willing to run 1-2 monday night races and 1-2 Saturday practices a month.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks

Aaron
I AM GOING TO TRY AND GO EARLY IN DAY AND GET A BIT OF A START ON IT FOR YA

BRAD
Old 05-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Aaron and Mike,

Thanks for that summary. I think everyone whos new to this electric offroad thing appreciates it.

Just wondering, other than a few guys already having some vehicles to run, is there any plans to talk with PM Hobbycraft to consider a group buy thing? I think the 2wd associated buggy is in the $280 range, 4wd buggy $480 range, and the slash is in the $250 range. I know if I was going to buy one, I would want a Chassis, body, batteries, servos, and some spare parts that usually break the most or should have like extra tires. I think that price alone, most people will be looking at the 2wd buggy or slash but I could be wrong. Also, you mention it would be okay to run them all together (except slash) anyways. You would also have to consider what the local hobby store stocks the most parts for (associated parts are plenty).

If you want, I can ask them next time Im in the store (later this week?) and see what they can offer. Is there anything else an electric offroad vehicle needs?

Will try to make it out Wednesday to help out.

Ivan
Old 05-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There are a lot of lower-cost 4WD buggy options out there too, which is a much more controllable class of car for entry-level drivers.

For example, HPI markets the Cyber 10b, which is a plastic composite version of the full-race Hotbodies D4, and even uses the same suspension parts. I picked one up for Emily at PM for $280. Similarly, there are Tamiya options like the DB-01 chassis buggies (Durga, Baldre) which are plastic versions of the top line TRF501X, and in a similar performance class as the Cyber 10b. Kyosho also markets a cheaper version of their Lazer ZX-5 as well. On the cheap end of top-level, the Losi XXX-4G+ is at PM for $329 (I know Scott L's opinion on Losi , but it is a full blown race-ready machine, and my car of choice )

Also, even though there is 19 turn motor limit, using 27 turn stock motors instead will still be fast enough, and even easier to control for beginning off-roaders. This is even more important in the 2WD classes.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I have a Kyosho ZX5 package that I'll be selling soon. Full carbon plus a NIB spare kit. Parts galore.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Wow. You guys are making it real hard for me to resist the dirt!!

I won't play 1/8 scale but... 1/10 scale electric is the schizz. I used to run 2 and 4 wheel buggy and had a blast with it for many years and that was with brushed motors and 1500 mah ni cads! I can't imagine how great it'll be with brushless and lipo.

Kudos to the KARZ crew
Old 05-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SUNA View Post
I have a Kyosho ZX5 package that I'll be selling soon. Full carbon plus a NIB spare kit. Parts galore.
From one collector to another - send me a PM when you figure out a price for that bad boy...
Old 05-12-2009, 05:52 PM
mfd
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey

Lots of activity on this thread which is great.

Scott W is right, there are lots of lower priced models in most manufacturers lines that will perform well on the track. I am an associated guy so I like the RC10 series and there RTR are pretty good.

As for a group buy and parts, I usually go to PM but if people are in other shops please feel free to let them know what we are doing. KARZ has had a big effect on the amount of Mini and TT01 cars and parts that go through the till and I hope that TRUKZ will as well. I am hoping it will become as popular as KARZ and know that 2wd electric is stil alot of people's favorite class to run.

I will also ask PM about some group buys next time I am in there. Maybe a club price on a new Slash?

Thanks all.

Hope to see people out on Wednesday night.

Aaron
Old 05-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hprt View Post
From one collector to another - send me a PM when you figure out a price for that bad boy...
Will do. I also have a ZX5 RTR going up for sale soon too. And all my Tamiya and Futaba stuff.

Aaron...I'd be interested in a Slash. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Companies like MRC and Academy reproduce identical products to the Associate line of RC10's. I believe in some cases Associated parts can be used on their buggies as well, don't quote me on that though.

I've been shopping for a B4, and another alternative is the internet. You have to watch currency conversion, and shipping cost, but I managed to find a B4 for $215.00. That's for the Factory team buggy. If you want to go with just the standard kit it gets even cheaper. PM hobby currently list the same product for close to $280.00 + GST.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

I've looking into the 4WD buggies. I'm kinda leaning the towards the B44, just cause I'm biased toward Associated products.

Can anybody give me input on the Hot Bodies, Tamiya, or Kyosho 4WD buggies.
I looking for the good, the bad, and the ugly. I've been looking for an excuse to buy a Kyosho product for a while now.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Tech Regular

If there's enough interest you TRUCKZ consider a modified class?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Looks like I may just have to load up my E-Jato and take a drive!
Old 05-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

hmm...maybe you should have added a raincoat on the list of items to bring to do the cleanup...I'll still plan on going unless I hear different.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.38 average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service