RC lexan body airbrushing

Old 12-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default RC lexan body airbrushing

Does anybody have any pointers for someone new at airbrushing.
I going to paint my lexen body, but I can't find any good literature out there on how to begin
Old 12-05-2003, 05:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Take the east route give the body plus some cash to Kevin up here in Edmonton.

http://www.kmaynespaint.com/
Old 12-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Theres a good page on rctech that has some detailed examples.
HERE!

Dennis
Old 12-05-2003, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Hey you dont need to pay someone to have a good paint job just take your time. i know lots of people that like to paint for the fun of it . im sure some of them will give you some great pointers. me i am not very good so the only thing i can say is take your time . but there is some great painters out there im sure will pass on some info.

p.s. not bashing anyone who gets paid to paint ,i pay for alot of my body's to be painted there is a difference between a good paint job and a pro paint job . but everyone has to start somewere .
Old 12-05-2003, 09:02 PM
Company Representative

What kind of airbrush? what kind of paint? How many colors? What colors? I'm going to be doing up a couple of new sedan bodies here real quick. If you want to come over for some tips and help drop me a line.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Its a badger airbrush, I just got it. I was hoping I could get something done before WOW and the Red Deer races.
I have done some basic 2 color blends with arisol before.
But this is my first time using airbrush and masks.
I am going to do some practicing on clear plastic first before I waste a body, I have just never used masks before and just want to try to do some cool designs.
Really looking to forward to world of wheels, it was a blast last year. So is it going to be on road and off road?
Also let me know if there is anyting I can do, maybe design some or something. I can do that for free of charge, and really good deal on the printing too.
Just let me know.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:55 AM
Tech Adept

If you've never worked with an airbrush before, I would very strongly suggest that you go to your local fabric store and grab a couple wads of cloth from the 'offcut' bins. (or just use a couple old t-shirts) Use those to practice on. Just tack 'em up on a board, load the airbrush and have at it. This will give you a feel for what the gun can do, and how to control air, paint, distance, angle all at once. The reason for using cloth is that it is much more forgiving than the hard surface of plastic - the air can go into the fabric taking the paint with it rather than bouncing prematurely off the hard surface, creating loads of overspray and being highly prone to spidering.

Before you do that though, you should probably break the airbrush down a couple times, just to familiarize yourself with its construction. You don't need to take it any further down than to remove the nozzle, needle, and trigger - leave the air valve and rear packing intact; you never really need to mess with those unless the gun gets REALLY gummed up.
This is all just so it's easier when the time comes to clean the gun.. you'll know where everything goes and you won't have to peer at it through paint residue.

I really really need to get some how-to's up on my site.. lots of work though with photos and the like. Anyone have thoughts on where it would be most crucial to begin? (most helpful for widest audience)

I do go on, don't I.

Anyway, practice, and have fun!

[edit] - actually, Dennis' post regarding the HauntedMyst article is probably the most helpful thing you can get. On top of that, there's a whole section of the R/C Tech forum dedicated to bodies, painting, and detailing. Check it out.. loads and loads of info there.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Tech Rookie

If you need to practice on Lexan, rip over to Sabic Polymershapes (there's one in Edmonton) and ask them for some offcuts of lexan or lexan film. They usually have quite a few handy.

I work at KMS Tools and we used to have a Lexan practice panel that you could wipe off and reuse... don't know if we still have it... would be @ kmstools.com/hobby-tools-15000000/airbrushing-15010000/accessories-15010100/
Old 05-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nathant View Post
If you need to practice on Lexan, rip over to Sabic Polymershapes (there's one in Edmonton) and ask them for some offcuts of lexan or lexan film. They usually have quite a few handy.

I work at KMS Tools and we used to have a Lexan practice panel that you could wipe off and reuse... don't know if we still have it... would be @ kmstools.com/hobby-tools-15000000/airbrushing-15010000/accessories-15010100/
Did you notice the previous posting dates? They're from 2003.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah wow flashback.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by goatman View Post
Yeah wow flashback.
Lol, yeah, didn't even notice...

Actually just came back to post cuz I checked stock and Red Deer has 2.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

When I first read this post, I thought Larry was going to try to paint again.

We have been over this Larry, you are not allowed to paint bodies any more.