Search

Spektrum or Futaba Radio????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Spektrum or Futaba Radio????

Would just like to get some input from some people that used the Futaba 3PK/4PK or the Spektrum DX3R/DX3S systems. Trying to make a choice between the two, and have done some research but still am undecided. Would like to hear pros and cons of each.

Thanx
Tim
Old 03-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I looked at both the futaba and Spekrum systems and decided on the Spekrum DX3R. I've had it since last summer and I am very happy with it.
I would go to the LHS and see how they feel in you hands, that might help you make a decision as well.
I do know the the DX3R is faster in response time compared to the DX3S as it is built as a Racing system.
I would also consider the Airtronics M11, I heard good things about it as well.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Adept

Default 4pk / Spectrum

I know a couple of guys who have had some problems with offroad Nitro using the 4pk so I bought the Spektrum for offroad. There seems to be a heat issue with the receivers.

I use the 4pk for onroad electric and onroad nitro (receivers are not enclosed with the onroad nitro chasis) and love it, so it all depends are what you are doing with it.

I also would have a look at the KO Mars radio. Lots of guys are loven that radio as well and is very reasonably priced.

Just my $.02 Hope it helps.............
Old 03-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Tim,
I think a lot of your decision might have to come down to price. The Futaba is bigger dollars but compared to all the radios I have used (M11, EX-10, and Spektrum) it is the best fit for my hand. I use the drop down/angled wheel adapter which gives it the same feel as my old KO with a lighter weight. The Spektrum to me is too light and has no "substance" to it, but I know Emma wanted to keep it when I offered her the KO instead due to its simplicity. I know there have been issues surrounding the Futaba receivers overheathing, but I think this issue has been resolved and problems are minimal.....I guess we will see in a month or so when offroad starts up.

I have yet to have much hands on experience with the 4PK yet but I am excited to try the FASST C2 setting that speeds up servo response with digital servos. Not to mention the menus are really easy to navigate. Best of luck. I will be making it out this Friday for a final night of onroad racing so if you are around come by and check mine out.
Later,
Kane
Old 03-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Tom, the problems were with the 603FS receivers, not the 604's.

I am running the Futaba 3PKS and a 4PK. I really like the feel of them in my hand.

The earlier Spektrum DX3R's had an issue of losing bind as soon as the power was shut off. It has been addressed and corrected in the new ones.

It really doesn't matter what high end system you go with, they're all going to have up's and down's. Most of it is finding something comfortable for you. I tried the DX3R for a night or two and just couldn't get into it. So I went Futaba and love it.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's Tim, Scott... not Tom... lol ( Jane.. Joan.. it's all the same... lol )

Go to the next local race and pick up all the radios in a short period of time and see what feels best to you. My .02...

Doug out...
Old 03-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits

Most of it is finding something comfortable for you. I tried the DX3R for a night or two and just couldn't get into it. So I went Futaba and love it.
That says it all!!

I bought the DX3R because my chubby fingers didn't fit the trigger of the 4PK nicely.
I tired a 4PK during a race night and found my left hand started to hurt after a 5 minute run.
Sure the 4PK has more features like a vibrating timer, but the DX3R felt great to me.
Comfort is everything.

Originally Posted by Gordkoff
It's Tim, Scott... not Tom... lol ( Jane.. Joan.. it's all the same... lol )
I believe he was talking to Mr. Weston and correcting him on the Futaba receiver heat issue in off road.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Chongo is right, I was talking to Tom Weston on that one.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Regular

Thanx for all the unput guys. I have held both of the controlers and didnt mind either to much. I will have to check it out at the next race again just to be sure. I was previously leaning towards the DX3R and I think that is the way I will go. Thanx for all the input.

Tim
Old 03-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Its more fun to make fun of Scott than stand up for him...
Old 03-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mickey Silver
Thanx for all the unput guys. I have held both of the controlers and didnt mind either to much. I will have to check it out at the next race again just to be sure. I was previously leaning towards the DX3R and I think that is the way I will go. Thanx for all the input.

Tim
Your welcome, if your serious about the DX3R there's a reasonably priced one in the Buy/Sell thread. (not mine)
Old 03-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
Tom, the problems were with the 603FS receivers, not the 604's.

I am running the Futaba 3PKS and a 4PK. I really like the feel of them in my hand.

The earlier Spektrum DX3R's had an issue of losing bind as soon as the power was shut off. It has been addressed and corrected in the new ones.

It really doesn't matter what high end system you go with, they're all going to have up's and down's. Most of it is finding something comfortable for you. I tried the DX3R for a night or two and just couldn't get into it. So I went Futaba and love it.
Actualy Scott the problems are with the 604's as well.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

The one for sale in the but/sell thread is a local racer here in Edmonton. He also has it posted on our local site www.rcracersedmonton.com . I have sent a pm to him to purcahse that radio. How would I know if this is an earlier model that had binding issues? (DX3R)

Thanx again guys.
Tim
Old 03-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Mickey Silver
Would just like to get some input from some people that used the Futaba 3PK/4PK or the Spektrum DX3R/DX3S systems. Trying to make a choice between the two, and have done some research but still am undecided. Would like to hear pros and cons of each.

Thanx
Tim
i have the dx3s seems ok just im not sure about the need for the temp and rpm don't have time to look at when you are racing and you can not hear the alarm when you do over heat but seems to work good
Old 03-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by T.Weston
Actualy Scott the problems are with the 604's as well.
I've been reading a bunch of different forums about this. Where are you getting this from? The one forum I frequent would make this issue very well known and I haven't heard anything.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.