Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
2008 CORCS Leg #2: Grande Prairie, AB >

2008 CORCS Leg #2: Grande Prairie, AB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 CORCS Leg #2: Grande Prairie, AB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 1.24 average.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

Not sure what tire's we'll all need for next weekend, but right now it is definitely a Holeshot track for the first time ever!!! At least for truggy and MT. Not sure what the buggy guys are using yet.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

brad says holeshots
Old 06-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Tires tried thus far in 1/8th buggy:

M2 crimefighters- not so good
M3 bowties- decent at best
Werks stubs- ok, but the rubber is a bit to hard
Inside jobs M3- ok, if the track was just swept moments before
Holeshot M3- Very good, wear- not sure yet
Werks Lugz- No good

Best so far were the Holeshots. If the track surface breaks up then we'll probably need to goto something with a larger pin. Right now the surface is very smooth and hard with a layer of dust on top.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

What kind of maintenance (if any) will take place on the track over the CORCS weekend? (water, sweep, etc?)

The GP track surface sounds very similar to 'The Hank' raceway in Spokane (hard surface, layer of dust on top). It was a very fun track to race on, but it would have been better if it was at swept between races (or rounds). It's very easy to do...every marshal cone has a broom, and the marshal simply sweeps the dust off to the sides around his/her area. It wouldn't be very time consuming, so long as the marshals head out to their corners right away. At The Hank, the drivers were given 15 seconds to get out to their marshal spots....if they weren't there (or if they didn't have a sub), a lap was taken off their best qual A bit harsh, but extremely effective. We didn't have to wait around for marshals or call for any volunteers. I like a Race Director who runs a tight show and doesn't fool around....which I hope is a universal feeling

Here's a video of my MT race at The Hank, so you guys can compare the track surfaces for any similarities or differences: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iId9BeJimpM . As you can see in the video, I was having some traction issues. This kind of surface is tricky when it comes to tire choice...but holeshots were the tire choice when I was down there.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What the plan was is to water it huge on friday and saturday nights after all the runs mainly that way the track will stay similar for everyone. We will have brooming sessions to get the dust knocked off and if it gets to a point we will water it throughout the day but we will have to see how things are going and how tight time is. Yes i do agree having a tight ship ran is always best that way everyone is happy with what times it will be done and we would like to get everyone on thier way at the earliest time possible cause 75% of them will be travellers.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maniac mechanic
Until it get's dark ( between 11 and 12 ) or until we think it's getting too late.
Don't have a set time to shut down Friday night but due to residential being so close it will probably be between 9 and 10. Any last minute track prep will take priority of course.
Yes, I have asked the city this question and the answer was that we are subject to the same noise bylaws as everyone else... so 11pm is the latest for a nitro vehicle, however, as Jay mentioned above, we're planning on drenching the track with water each evening after the day is done.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ok, so a quick update on the track surface. It is getting a bit rougher, so holeshots aren't the only tire to have. When it is dry crimefighters are hooking up quite well. The surface isn't developing a lot of ruts, which is nice. Komodo 2 might also be a good choice as the weekend goes on and the track develops more and more little ridges and increases in coarse-ness throughout the race weekend. For 1/10th Ifmar studs in red will probably work well, but holeshots should well also. For MT/Truggy crime fighters will be a good choice.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Dont I look the fool spending $250 on tires to find out what I have allready works just as well or better Grummble grummble grummble. I guess i can sell em NIP.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HaulinBass
Dont I look the fool spending $250 on tires to find out what I have allready works just as well or better Grummble grummble grummble. I guess i can sell em NIP.
It's so hard to know just what to use, eh! LOL! With all the work being done on the track, and the changes in the track surface over time it's probably best to bring a good selection of tires as it could be anybody's guess what the surface is going to be like. If it ends up moist, then it's a whole different track than when it's dry. As you well know it totally depends on the weather and a whole bunch of other factors, so I don't think you've wasted your $250 on tires, if you hadn't bought them, and the surface ended up needing them, you'de be kicking yourself! Hahaha!
Old 06-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

In terms of MT's/Truggies, I have always been safe by bringing the following tires with me:

Crimefighter LPR's
Losi XTT's
Bowtie MTR's (for the bumpy tracks)
Holeshots

So long as you have one type of tire for each possible track condition, you'll be good to go.

Last edited by MattDickson; 06-25-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

2 days left. Bring your sunscreen, expected temp on Sat 29c! with lots of sun.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Yes 2 days left and as Perry had mentioned its supposed to be in the mid to high 20's for the weekend but definately prepare for windy situations.. for some reason BC blows and it gets windy here. I will be at the track side about 9:30 am to do any final preps and touchups and i will be there for the day.

Jason
Old 06-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

I apologize if this question has been asked, but is there power outlets or a place to plug in an extension cord at the GP track? Thanks
Old 06-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Well the computer system is going to have its own generator.. but we have been loaned by Halliburton a 8KW tow generator that we will have and we can split the power up with extension cords.. but bring your own cords we should have enough power to supply everyone with for chargers and such.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Sweet deal Thanks Jason

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 1.24 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.