Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Carcar

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.81 average.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Jim,

I think Mini was held together by you cuz it tanked when you left. We ran it on Sundays but this year I want to encourage beginners to go to USGT instead of Mini.

If you got Mini, bring Mini and we'll run Mini (I'm in !)
Old 07-14-2018, 08:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hard to believe someone unstable could bring stability.
THEBIGBULL likes this.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default My thoughts...

Haven’t posted in a while. Been sitting back and absorbing everyone’s opinion.

Here’s mine and that’s coming from someone who actually runs ALL the classes (at WCICS/ATS) and at Carcar (given 2 class max I can only pick and chose). Gonna do my best to keep it as condensed as possible.

Bottom line: Why mess with something that works for our club. I get the 17.5 is getting faster argument but that’s a good thing. To me that means hopefully you’ll want to drive even faster and run modified TC. If you want to go slower, run 21.5 USGT. That’s your beginner class, 17.5 TC is your step up (or second) class and Modified is your hardest to drive class. At the end of the day whatever is voted for by our club I’ll be happy to run whatever new rules cause I don’t mind buying that 1 new/used motor I plan to use for the entire season.

Random thoughts:

- Slow 17.5 TC down to make it easier for beginners?... Then what the hell is 21.5 USGT for? If really that is your argument, replace 25.5 for USGT.

- It’s being sold as: If you have 21.5 TC and 21.5 USGT you can run 2 classes with 1 chassis and I’ve read someone selling this idea can do this change in “less than a minute” 4 tire swap and body change. Love to see this happen in race days that include a battery change and tire saucing regimen considering there are guys running with hour breaks and have trouble getting their car ready for their heat. Not dissing anyone. I sure we will see the "oops I've got the front glued tires on the rears accidentally" fail in no time.

- At club level, I really just want to see good numbers. I think if we stick with 17.5, there’s nothing wrong with running 21.5 USGT together (if not enough numbers) obviously with some pre-sort. At the end of qualifying, you’ll run with similar timed guys anyways. Same with modified TC, what’s wrong with using a slower motor like 13.5 and work your way to a 5.5 or whatever.

- It’s a step up to modified….in an ideal world yes but the reality some guys just like stock (slower) speeds and at the end of the day if said racer is having fun then that’s the key. Who cares about the Western World never having a chance against those Europeans who aren’t fixated on these slower stock classes and aren’t against handout motors.

- Handout Motors: I’m all for it. Yes I’ve heard all the arguments. But let’s say in an ideal world, Whatever stock motor (17.5), one manufacturer, locked timing, set gearing to avoid high temps, claiming rules, basically same speed, why would anyone not want that? It would be hard press to find anyone (I know of one budget racer ) in the top 10 even in our WCICS series in 21.5 USGT / 17.5 TC who didn’t use more than ONE motor in their car the entire season AND / OR have a dyno / motor tester / stator tester. Just an observation. Kinda like in F1 only 3 teams (6 drivers) have a chance of winning but I would find it more entertaining to see if everyone had the same car and make driver skill a bigger factor like Indy car. But I’m definitely in the minority for this one.

- Why Tamiya Mini or F1 for that matter isn’t as popular as it should be….many reason but hate it when I hear it costs as much as a TC to make a competitive Mini. Just sad hearing that.

- I remember USGT originally being sold that it was an alternative to 17.5 Stock “BS” to make a fun class you can use older chassis with realistic bodies and even include 2wd cars!… and look what’s it become…what’s the fastest 21.5 motor of the month and what is the fastest body? How can you possibly have fun with a “realistic body” that’s different than anyone else? Or a 2wd car that doesn’t handle like an Awesomatix? Or why would you try an old chassis in this class like a TT01? …. Oh the guy still having fun in the B Main!!!

- 13.5 12th scale to 17.5 12th scale change? Really? That 8 minute marshalling is even gonna seem longer than it already is.

Last thoughts: Having fun in this hobby is the key to growth and numbers. However what fun is to one person is different for others. Some do it needing to win, some like tinkering, some like the social aspect, some like the speed, some just like the track time. I think the club’s goal is to provide the best environment for these things to occur and minimize some of the negative aspect that would do the opposite.

Looking forward to the AGM (especially if there's free pizza and pop) and our coming indoor racing season.

Ivan
Old 07-18-2018, 11:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+1 for ivan
Old 07-19-2018, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher

Last thoughts: Having fun in this hobby is the key to growth and numbers. However what fun is to one person is different for others. Some do it needing to win, some like tinkering, some like the social aspect, some like the speed, some just like the track time. I think the club’s goal is to provide the best environment for these things to occur and minimize some of the negative aspect that would do the opposite.

Ivan
well said
canadian_eh likes this.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Here’s mine and that’s coming from someone who actually runs ALL the classes (at WCICS/ATS) and at Carcar (given 2 class max I can only pick and chose). Gonna do my best to keep it as condensed as possible.

Bottom line: Why mess with something that works for our club. I get the 17.5 is getting faster argument but that’s a good thing. To me that means hopefully you’ll want to drive even faster and run modified TC. If you want to go slower, run 21.5 USGT. That’s your beginner class, 17.5 TC is your step up (or second) class and Modified is your hardest to drive class. At the end of the day whatever is voted for by our club I’ll be happy to run whatever new rules cause I don’t mind buying that 1 new/used motor I plan to use for the entire season.

Random thoughts:

- Slow 17.5 TC down to make it easier for beginners?... Then what the hell is 21.5 USGT for? If really that is your argument, replace 25.5 for USGT.

- It’s being sold as: If you have 21.5 TC and 21.5 USGT you can run 2 classes with 1 chassis and I’ve read someone selling this idea can do this change in “less than a minute” 4 tire swap and body change. Love to see this happen in race days that include a battery change and tire saucing regimen considering there are guys running with hour breaks and have trouble getting their car ready for their heat. Not dissing anyone. I sure we will see the "oops I've got the front glued tires on the rears accidentally" fail in no time.

- At club level, I really just want to see good numbers. I think if we stick with 17.5, there’s nothing wrong with running 21.5 USGT together (if not enough numbers) obviously with some pre-sort. At the end of qualifying, you’ll run with similar timed guys anyways. Same with modified TC, what’s wrong with using a slower motor like 13.5 and work your way to a 5.5 or whatever.

- It’s a step up to modified….in an ideal world yes but the reality some guys just like stock (slower) speeds and at the end of the day if said racer is having fun then that’s the key. Who cares about the Western World never having a chance against those Europeans who aren’t fixated on these slower stock classes and aren’t against handout motors.

- Handout Motors: I’m all for it. Yes I’ve heard all the arguments. But let’s say in an ideal world, Whatever stock motor (17.5), one manufacturer, locked timing, set gearing to avoid high temps, claiming rules, basically same speed, why would anyone not want that? It would be hard press to find anyone (I know of one budget racer ) in the top 10 even in our WCICS series in 21.5 USGT / 17.5 TC who didn’t use more than ONE motor in their car the entire season AND / OR have a dyno / motor tester / stator tester. Just an observation. Kinda like in F1 only 3 teams (6 drivers) have a chance of winning but I would find it more entertaining to see if everyone had the same car and make driver skill a bigger factor like Indy car. But I’m definitely in the minority for this one.

- Why Tamiya Mini or F1 for that matter isn’t as popular as it should be….many reason but hate it when I hear it costs as much as a TC to make a competitive Mini. Just sad hearing that.

- I remember USGT originally being sold that it was an alternative to 17.5 Stock “BS” to make a fun class you can use older chassis with realistic bodies and even include 2wd cars!… and look what’s it become…what’s the fastest 21.5 motor of the month and what is the fastest body? How can you possibly have fun with a “realistic body” that’s different than anyone else? Or a 2wd car that doesn’t handle like an Awesomatix? Or why would you try an old chassis in this class like a TT01? …. Oh the guy still having fun in the B Main!!!

- 13.5 12th scale to 17.5 12th scale change? Really? That 8 minute marshalling is even gonna seem longer than it already is.

Looking forward to the AGM (especially if there's free pizza and pop) and our coming indoor racing season.

Ivan
Normally I like to stay out of Ivan's cross hairs (as well as other club's discussions), but I'll bite.

A 21.5 TC can do the same lap times that a 17.5 TC could 4 years ago. With the motor rules stabilizing, this is roughly the speed that most of North America feels it should be, judging by the switch over to 21.5 TC at most large national events. In the same vein, the step up to modified now is no different than it was a few years back when we brought the class back into the rotation.

Regarding USGT's issues; that's just spec racing in any form. Most people race to try and win, and if this motor or that motor gives you 5%, or if running that barely legal P-Zero lets you run flat out through the sweeper, then there's going to be people that do that. When they win races, it influences the guys further down the order to do the same thing to try and make up time on THEIR rivals. Go to any racing club in any part of the world that runs any sort of a spec series, and you could take what I said and apply it almost exactly.

17.5 1/12 is a great class to learn how to cut close lines. It rewards running tight lines and the massive grip but low speed makes it easier to do.

Quoting again for emphasis.

Just my 2p.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

In the AGM the 'general' feeling I got was that it was bridge to far to drop USGT to 25.5 this year given the motors are relatively new and the majority of people hadn't bought, tried, or driven one yet. We elected to stay 21.5 and let people choose TC or USGT, or both. Imo, 25.5 should be seriously considered next year. Sometimes slow change is smart change.

Trevor
Old 08-18-2018, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

Hello Race Fans
The new indoor R/C season is fast approaching. CARCAR will be holding its AGM on September 5th, 2018 at the Calgary horseshoe Club at 6pm. we will be tentatively starting our season and having the first club race on Friday September 28th ( to be confirmed ) an agenda will follow, but if you would like to have something on the agenda please forward the topic onto myself at [email protected] and will we be sure to add. if you have any questions please let us know and we look forward to seeing you all there and the looking forward to the new season.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

do we have an agenda as of yet?
Old 08-31-2018, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Morning Chris

I did not receive any items to add to the agenda so what will be covered will be as follows ( no particular order and might have 1-2 more items)

- wcics Rep and date
-ATS series update and date
-carcar financials
hsc update
external promotions
class review and schedule
carcar schedule
elections
misc items
Old 08-31-2018, 10:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sweet Deal! Thanks Kerry
Old 09-12-2018, 10:19 AM
Tech Adept

Random thoughts:

Ivan
totaly agree with Ivan

Last edited by RevolutionM; 10-21-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RevolutionM

totaly agree with Ivan just hoping everyone can come up with a decent set of rules I'm not buying a motor and tires for this guys track then switching to run every other track then switch at Wiccs for that makes no sense and why I opposed it at one 10 and have been black balled because of it. I want to practice no run the same setup so I can get better not constantly change and then struggle to get the car working again. I don't work in town so I can't put in the time most of the guys do just my 2 cents

Ron.... Do you realize the person you are referring to can still see all this?

I don't understand your need to go on and on about it. The motor and tires are in place because Ryan is running a Spec points series. If you don't want to run spec, race mod TC and usgt, straight up..... I'm fairly certain you were at One10 just as much, if not more than myself last year. Not to mention you had no issues going just as fast as I was. Your out of town/new to the hobby argument is pedantic and not an excuse for you to treat Ryan like he's gone and kicked your dog.

If you had maybe approached Ryan in a polite manner instead of immaturely calling him a cry baby, while doing much of the same, over a public Facebook post, or carrying on something that could have been answered with a few private messages rather than crying and pouting on Facebook, I'm sure you would still be allowed at One10. But because you continually drag One10 and "this guy" into a constant rag fest, Ryan has a full right to kick you from a community page in my opinion. You don't support the decisions of the track, you trash his name in attempt to make yourself feel better, and you want respect from him and the people who race there!?

My 0.02.......
Old 09-12-2018, 05:25 PM
Tech Adept

Double post.

Last edited by ColinH; 09-12-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:34 PM
Tech Adept

Triple.....? Post? Weird .

Last edited by ColinH; 09-12-2018 at 08:15 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.81 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.