2007 WINTER NATIONAL!

Old 03-14-2007, 05:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Take Claritin or Benadryl when you are racing. There are no allergens in smoke, but it does heavily irritate lungs, which opens you wide open for infections. I get what you are talking about being in a house of smokers for just a couple of hours, never mind Red Deer. Taking those pills before being around any kind of smoke, including going racing on Sunday's, has been a 100% improvement.

Originally Posted by Skully
As much as I look forward to this race every year and enjoy it, I regret to say, this was my last Winternats Nothing against the organizers, RDRC, or any of the competitors. My body just can't handle that weekend for some reason and I always get brutally sick. Been trying to break a fever of 102 for the past 2 days. Don't think you'll totally be able to keep me away; just be an observer from the stands next time around.

Would like to thank SimpleRC and RCDepot for suppling me parts/fuel. Dick for lending me a servo and then giving me a kick in the butt to install it. Boozer for pitting me when he could. Budz for helping me pit Dick, there was no way I could done that without your help. And whoever else I'm forgeting.

Team GForce, you guys/gals totally scored big, and totally deserve it. That was awesome. And then to recieve that picture from you, that totally blew me away. I was feeling pretty bummed out having broke early in the B main, but that picture from you guys turned my weekend around. As Dale said, I'm sure there are others that have done the same and gone beyond what I have done. That picture will be proudly displayed on the door of the trailer. Thank you

See everyone this summer for CORCS. Back to bed with my ice pack and cough medicine with codeine
Old 03-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Madhacker love the video.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Muswagon
Take Claritin or Benadryl when you are racing. There are no allergens in smoke, but it does heavily irritate lungs, which opens you wide open for infections. I get what you are talking about being in a house of smokers for just a couple of hours, never mind Red Deer. Taking those pills before being around any kind of smoke, including going racing on Sunday's, has been a 100% improvement.
good tip I've goten sinus infections in the past after racing indoors. I have another BIG indoor race to attend this weekend, guess I'll take a Clariton each morning before hitting the track. How does the Clariton help prevent infections?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Warlock
Madhacker love the video.
Thanks!

If ya like the soundtrack, you should thank my good friend Dan Labelle (DiscoDan) for that... I'm not normally all that great at chosing music. The tunes really make the video.

Last edited by MadHacker; 03-14-2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:10 PM
Tech Elite

http://www.jamminproducts.com/

Scroll down a bit and check it out!
Old 03-26-2007, 02:03 AM
Tech Rookie

nice jump from me lindsay wiebe from team gforce when i landed in pit lane
Old 03-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Default My Experience at Winter Nats!!!

Dudes,

Friend of mine asked me to post my report to the winter nats on rctech, so here it is. Sorry for the long post!

"Sitting amid more than a hundred or so rc racers, numerous spectators, it occurred to me and the crew (from Manitoba) that we were somewhere very special. Nik Moxley, Stuart Thompson, Neil (Can't remember your last name), Greg McCorrister and myself were considered to be sitting at the center of the Canadian Offroad Nitro Racing RC scene.

It all began some three months ago with a simple PM to Nik and Stu, knowing that they were interested in attending. So you wanna go, that was all I had to ask. Sure, getting there is they say, the easiest thing to do, but to no avail, the gremlins popped up before we even got underway.

"Sorry, we do not accept pre-paid credit cards", in a slightly sarcastic voice, said the attendant at Enterprise Rental Cars. Just then the thought of OMG, what are we gonna do? Well, better get a hold of Nik and give him the skinny and try Stu later as he was still at work.

I arrive at Moxley Rentals and start conversing with Nik’s dad. It appeared that our situation did not amuse him at all. Just then I thought to myself, just get him to tell Nik to call when he gets in. Later on I found out that Nik was helping Neil shovel off his roof.

Within 10 mins of receiving Nik call, my beautiful, caring and totally understanding wife (Raunchella) says to me, "Just take my van", then I knew we were saved. I can't say enough about my wife she is the best.

After an evening of van preparation at Nik's shop I head home around 10pm to start finishing putting my REVO and GT2 back together. 4:30am arrives and I think I better get some sleep. Just over an hour later I get up and start throwin stuff into the van.

We all meet at Nik's shop on Osbourn around 6:15am and to our surprise, No Nik, No Neil. We sit and wait, PATIENTLY! Once they arrive we get all the lugage and gear packed into the van and car topper. 7:35am arrives and we are under way.

Time flies by (17 1/2 hours), after long discussions about the current state of RC'ing in Manitoba, cig breaks, whizz breaks and passing by what is probably the most spookiest town in central SK, we finally arrive at our destination, Red Deer, AB. Home of the Winter Nats.

I instructed our driver, Greg (The Godfather), to get us to the Agricenter. I wanted to see if they actually build the track the way I rendered it. Nope, it wasn't right, but man oh man was it beautiful nonetheless. We talk to a few of the people there, introduce ourselves and then head to our rooms for a long deserved beer and rest. But to no avail, we start shop talking and continue to run on adrenalin. Finally get to bed around 1am local time.

Rrriiiiiiinnnnnggggg, Rrriiiiiiinnnnnggggg, Rrriiiiiiinnnnnggggg, Rrriiiiiiinnnnnggggg, it the wake up call. 7:30am, repack the van, head out for breakfast and end up at Denny's. Best darn brecky I’ve had in a long time. Guess we were not the only ones out for sustenance before practice. A few tables away Team Eat Dirt racing out of Ontario and so I go to introduce myself. Exchange pleasantries and go back to filling my now totally empty stomach.

Under no fan fair we arrive at the track about 10:30am and start haulin in our gear. We decided to set up at the first chance we had. As a result, out pit tables ended up being right beside Team Jammin with Jammin Jay at the helm, Marcus Neuspeed of the Kyosho Team and the Matty Mat show (RC Traveling Parts Store). Gotta say that these guys are truly what RC’ing is all about. Not only do they know there stuff, they are not afraid to share it. (More on this later)

During the weekend that we were there I witness dozens of people just walkin up and receiving tips on set up and racing lines. Jammin Jay is the man. Not only did he take the time to help my traveling companion Nik to set up his CRT Truggy, he even showed Nik how it could be driven! I think he was on the stick of Niks CRT for about ten minutes. You should find a link within this thread to see how it was done, driving the CRT I mean. And when you view it, listen for the big “SNAP” after landing the quad. Seems Jammin Jay snapped a rim. Once the run was done, he graciously autographed the rim for Nik!!!!!

The track itself was just totally amazing. Fast, slightly technical in the infield and wickedly setup. By the end of the practice it was apparent the tire of choice by the drivers was the Pro Line Holeshot. Fortunately, Matty Mat and Cory D’s crew ( www.TrackSideRC.com - www.TheHobbyRoom.ca ) had plenty in stock to be purchased right at the track. For the entire set including rims, the cost was $72 and well worth the coin.

After a day of practicing, breaking, fixing and finding our set up, meeting fellow RC racing enthusiasts, we headed for our rooms around 11pm. It was a rough day as the “white whale” was put to the side because of breakage and not enough time to repair it. Just glad to see that the CRT of Nik’s was ready to do battle, minus a servo waiting to be replaced. Both Stu and Nik were still repairing and getting ready for the mornings qualys. As for me nothing was required other than finding the tune for my engine so I stowed my stuff in a friends trailer at the track.

Rrriiiiiiinnnnnggggg, Rrriiiiiiinnnnnggggg, Rrriiiiiiinnnnnggggg, Rrriiiiiiinnnnnggggg, went the wake up call again. “Hey, let me sleep, I’ll walk over later” Greg replied when I told him it was time to get going. I needed to get to the track ASAP to retrieve my gear out of my buddies trailer. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, a new headache was just setting in, not from the nitro fumes but from the beers I had the night before. We all packed up and headed to the track around 7:15am. Arrived at the track, attended the drivers meeting and began the process of controlled practice till noon.

Once the qualy’s got underway the day just seemed to fly past. At the end of the round 1 quals we were in the following positions. Stuart Thompson - 38th 1/8 Buggy, Nik Moxley – 19th Truggy and DNS MT, Lawrence McCorrister – DNS MT, DNS 1/10th GT. Round two was schedule to start the next morning so the rest of the night was taken to repair both my trucks I broke or could not start from the practice session earlier in the day. Nik and Stu followed suit, repairing of course. We headed back to the room for what was to be a few beers and goods nights rest but unfortunately for Nik and Stu, Neil had something to say about that!

Saturday mornings was the same as the first two, up and add it and rush to the track and be ready for round 2, 3 and 4 of the quals. GT was first and once again I experience engine trouble, new motor refused to start and then started then died. MT was better this day, won my round 2 qual by time of 7 in 4:24 but to my shegrin the throttle servo let go before the 5 min mark resulting in the time I had. Finished this round in 18th spot. Stu ended up in 47th and Nik broke at the 2:46 mark of this round.

Round three results were as follows:
Stu, - 8 in 4:34, 49th
Nik – 10 in 5:02, 10th
Me – Broke at 2:03 mark in MT and broke at 3:26 mark in GT.

Round Four results were as follows:
Stu, - 9 in 5:28, 51st position which put him in the F-Main
Nik – Broke at 3:09 mark but previous qualy time held him at 16th position for B-Main
Me – 8 in 5:07mark in MT finished at 20th for the B Main and DNS in GT for the B-Main.

Qualifying day was pretty hard on us all, breakage and tuning issues hurt us all day long but I wouldn’t be anywhere else cause man we were having the greatest of times. Stu, Nik and myself were hanging with old and new friends, talking shop, looking for Greg most of the time and always needing some part. Luckily we made enough friends and had enough coin to repair our rides for the next days’ mains. I was not only hoping for myself to play the bump up game, but Stu and Nik as well. Time would tell all!

The next morning Stu, Nik and Neil went off to the track, in order to have breaky and run Stu’s main. Unfortunately Stu broke at the 3:50mark of his main. The bump game was out of the question now. I managed to sleep until 11ish and just in time cause Stu came back around that time and off to the track I went.

“Clean em out”, announced Buddha announced and away I went. Was making great progress, pulled off 9 laps in 5:12 then all of a sudden I had no brakes at the end of the front straight. Wham, right into the temporary plywood fence the hosts installed the day before. End result, cooked throttle/brake servo, broken front right rocker post and a bruised ego! Oh well, I was having a fun time and realized that I was just as quick as the quickest MT’s out there. Oh well, I’ll be back next year for damn sure.

Nik was next to go. It was very apparent that he was driving one hell of a race but the breakage problem reared its ugly head again while in third position. Only two others were in front of Nik at the time. Both of who are sponsored racers out of Calgary and whom I met last September when I was out there at the CORCS finals. I went running across the track yelling as best I could to get Nik’s attention to go and fix his truck. There was still 14mins remaining in the main, more than enough time to change his broken part. As luck would have it, the computer crashed and the Truggy B-Main was restarted from the beginning!!!

This time around, the breakage unfortunately happened again and at the 2:10 mark of the second attempt of the Truggy B-Main. Nik was in 3rd again, this time behind Ontario based Team Eat Dirt’s John “Chewy” Baker and Jammin Canada’s Navaz Walji out of Calgary. One of Nik’s servos let go and it ended his day. As they say, that’s racing.

We stayed to the bitter end and watched the awards presentations. The most amazing thing that happened at this race was more on the humanitarian side. For those of you who have not experienced racing outside this province of Manitoba, there is this group called Team G Force in the province of AB. Locals in AB and BC call them the “G Force crew”. I had the pleasure of meeting the “BURGANDY” golf shirt toting kids while in Calgary for the CORCS finals in which they, more specifically, Dale ‘The Man behind the scenes’ Constantine, changed my fried spur gear in order for me to finish the A-Main.

They are a great group of kids that participate in a church based organized team that must go through driving school in order to race. These kids are no ordinary kids as they come from low-income families in which they would not have any means of access to our great hobby and be able to compete in these types of events.

I can’t quite recall if it was before the awards were presented or during but the fact of the matter is Team Jammin Canada Driver Navaz Walji and Jammin Jay Halsey presented a complete RTR 1/8 scale buggy to the G Force Crew from the Canadian distributor of the Team Jammin Product. It was a wonderful site to see. The tear in the eyes of those young racers and fellow racers was just mind-boggling. Too top it all off, Jammin Jay stepped up to the plate and announced that he was sending additional RC’s to the G Force Crew. I think he announced two more buggies and three truggies. I could be wrong though, cause I too was caught up in the joyous occasion. I was on the drivers stand along with Buddha in a state of shock. And yes, the tears were flowin’ too.

That’s one of the main reason’s why I enjoy this hobby so much. Sure there’s disagreements and arguments from time to time but overall its about being with other people that enjoy this thing we call RC’ing as much as I. And to top it all off, I won an award as well. Brought home the “Hard Luck Racer” trophy, which is still sitting in my kitchen as I write this “report”.

As for the beginning of the trip home, we were graciously allowed to pull the van into the Argicenter and pack up all our gear. My personal thanks go out to the event organizers for this one. 17 ½ hours later, seeing a 50ft plus tall concrete dinosaur, driving all night through a near blizzard conditions, nearly getting lost we made it home with smiles and laughter on our minds.

The only thing I can say now is that I can’t wait until next year. See you all at Winter Nationals 2008, should the creator allow it.

-Budz
Old 03-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Tech Elite

Great story! Thanks for the post!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Tech Regular

BUDZ anytime you want a part for that Revo just ask! We had a blast at the Winter Nationals and for many of the same reasons you mentioned, skip the headache though.

Like the time we broke the rear of our Jammin Truggy and Kevin Thomson and family were right there to give us a new one. Its great to be a part of "I'll beat you on the track and I'll help you get there!" or "if your not having fun I'm not having fun" attitudes!

Yes Jammin Canada did give us a Truggy. They have been working on the project since last year at CORCS Red Deer.Thanks again to Navaz and Mike and and and and.... We were taken back by the kindness for sure but more so by the feeling that everyone there was a part of making it happen. Jammin Jay and crew in turn added one more Truggy and two buggies to the list!! Wow.

Also a highlight was watching the A main Monster truck knowing we had more parts going around the track holding other trucks together.I think some of our parts finished 5, 7th and 9th!! Then to top it off to see team members in the pits getting it done for others as if they were a team drivers.

Several of those trucks/ buggies are set aside for the new chapter that is starting up here in Red Deer in another low income area. When they get old enough to purchase their own I bet it will be Jammin, right Navaz!!

First Freestyle is in Grande Prairie May 26th. There will be about ten this year and we will keep you posted!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Free style in Grande Prairie? Im IN i didnt get to make it to the winter nationals and i am kicking myself daily for it although my truck did show up with Brad Comis driving it and i am always willing to break....errr.. play with my stuff? Would be a good kickoff to the spring startup.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:11 PM
Tech Master

Yes I'm sure many members of GPMRA would love to get involved is some way. If you could pass along any more specific details I will forward info to our president. Hope we can help
Dan Labelle
[email protected]
Old 03-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Tech Regular

You bet Dan! Sent you an email. TTFN
Old 03-28-2007, 11:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Team GForce
You bet Dan! Sent you an email. TTFN
Thank you for the quick reply Dale.. talk to you soon, it sounds like a fun day
Old 03-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

I forwarded the info to all of the GPMRA members.

Thanks,
Old 04-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Tech Regular

Default Looking for Manufactures of Winners Trucks and Bugs

Hey all,

I'm doing a bit of research for a friend of mine I was wondering if anyone can give me the manufactures of the top 20 in each of the classes run in Red Deer.

For example - I know Dave won MT with a revo but what was the other dudes rides.

Please help.

Regards,
Budz

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.