Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sawzall

2022 Hobby Stores in GTA

Old 05-21-2022, 02:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default 2022 Hobby Stores in GTA

I've been getting back into the hobby after ~15 years and am building a 1/10 touring chassis for USGT and a 1/10 drift chassis. I've gone to a bunch of different hobby stores recently, and just wanted to note my experience with the ones i've gone to.

Hobby Hobby (Mississauga) - Very helpful people and lots of inventory (I don't know how they get so much stuff in such a small place!). They've been great at helping me get some spare parts for my touring chassis and pointed out a few parts that I might want to look at later on.

Advance Hobbies (Scarborough) - This is a sneaky good shop. They carry all sorts of Tamiya hop-ups and seem to have chassis when everyone else is out of stock. Their prices are also probably the best around.

Skycraft Hobbies (Burlington) - Super helpful, and were great on the phone. Even though they were busy, they helped me figure out the best motor/ESC combo for my cars and have been super responsive in ordering a few parts for me.

Great Hobbies (Mississauga) - The nicest shop i've been to in the GTA, and nice people. Carry all the essentials, and their inventory status online is great.

Elite Drift Shop (Quebec) - Yes, I know they're not in the GTA let alone the province. But out of all the shops i've talked to, these people know their stuff when it comes to drifting. Ordered a chassis and some other parts from them and definitely will order more.

Last edited by sawzall; 05-28-2022 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-28-2022, 01:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Adding to the list:

XtremeRC (Oshawa) - Regularly place orders with Amain, so they're quick to get stock in. Seems like they're more buggy/truck/drag racing oriented, but are capable of helping out with Touring cars. Also have an indoor track (for buggies).
PetRock likes this.
Old 07-19-2023, 11:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sort of in the same boat as you. Used to race at Hobby Hobby in the summers every Sunday when they used to host no-road races in their parking lot. I know they no longer host (I think hosting just became a little too much work and effort for Tom).

I do know that Hobby Hobby is still around, not too sure if they focus more on off-road vs. on-road anymore.

I'm considering getting back in too and have been for a little while, but there are no reliable on-road tracks in the GTA and if I come back I wanna do 1/8'th on-road but with the price of land in the GTA, I don't think we can expect much in terms of a track unless someone works out an agreement with a large commercial tenant or landlord that has a large parking lot.
Old 07-20-2023, 10:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shaginwagon13
Sort of in the same boat as you. Used to race at Hobby Hobby in the summers every Sunday when they used to host no-road races in their parking lot. I know they no longer host (I think hosting just became a little too much work and effort for Tom).

I do know that Hobby Hobby is still around, not too sure if they focus more on off-road vs. on-road anymore.

I'm considering getting back in too and have been for a little while, but there are no reliable on-road tracks in the GTA and if I come back I wanna do 1/8'th on-road but with the price of land in the GTA, I don't think we can expect much in terms of a track unless someone works out an agreement with a large commercial tenant or landlord that has a large parking lot.
There are a few places that you can look at racing in the GTA. Not sure about 1/8 scale, but definitely 1/10. Phoenix (https://www.facebook.com/PhoenixRCRaceway) is a good indoor on-road carpet track with a bunch of different classes. For off-road, Skycraft (https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100092586877231) just created a new track which looks pretty cool.
Old 07-20-2023, 10:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

1/8'th is a no go in the GTA, I have looked. Its just not viable with the price of land and really not being able to race outside in the winter months.

I have been to Phoenix, honestly though electric isn't my thing. I would go back to 1/10 on-road nitro but that too looks like its gone from the GTA unless its in a parking lot and a couple people just banging around.