Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
2003 Canadian Roar Nitro Off-Road Nationals >

2003 Canadian Roar Nitro Off-Road Nationals

2003 Canadian Roar Nitro Off-Road Nationals

Old 12-06-2002, 07:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default 2003 Canadian Roar Nitro Off-Road Nationals

This is where we can post information and exchange ideas about having a 2003 1/8 and 1/10 Nitro Off-Road Canadian Roar Nationals.
Old 12-06-2002, 10:21 AM
Tech Regular

So we're talkin east and west? This would be a rather huge event......excellent.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:41 AM

Thumbs up nats

HI chris Nats in reddeer YAHOO' lets do it. I will help you if needed . seeya
Old 12-06-2002, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

FYI -ROAR track affiliation form for the Red Deer track has been filled out and will be sent tonight. Further more I am going to try and contact Phillip Chong who is the acting director for Ontario. He may have some usefull insight into our proposed race.

This will be some work for sure but is very do able.
Old 12-06-2002, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think a National race is what we need.
A little off topic for a moment.I have been giving some serious consideration to running for ROAR rep. as I have the desire to make racing work for us the racers the way it should be and to bring organized ROAR racing back to western Canada on a more regular basis.Racers in western Canada have shown the desire to have organized racing so I believe we can do it everyone together to make racing successfull here.If anyone has any info for me how to go about running for rep I would most gladly accept any help.
Old 12-06-2002, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

Start here bro http://www.roarracing.com/join/index.htm
Old 12-06-2002, 04:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Inferno - me too I emailed T-Rex and volunteered... he was not very receptive as my membership is currently lapsed. There was an election just last month and there is now a new exec. They are going to ask why we didn't maintain our memberships and vote HA HA. I just sent in my renewal form.

Anyway - we can make this happen. RPM69 who are you? We are definately going to need some helpful volunteers to make this happen.

For sure we need:
A non-racing race director
A non-racing technical director
A non-racing referee

By non-racing I mean they have to be an experienced racer willing to not race at the nats to do these things... ideally someone like Martin or an on-road racer. I have a few people to contact. Nationals guidelines also recommend/require this.

Anyway - I'm glad to see there are folks who want to help out. I'm sure we can put on a great event!
Old 12-06-2002, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

Hey guys

Just throwing my name in the hat for helping out. Not sure how much my schedule will allow me, but every little bit counts.

hmmm RPM69....theres only one person that can be

Chris...do you still have a couple servos for sale? Let me know.

[email protected]

Mike
Old 12-06-2002, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Chris:

Check your email..

Old 12-07-2002, 01:35 AM
Tech Master

There are some issues about being a ROAR member that have been brought to my attention as of a few hours ago.The first and biggest one is there are some regions which ROAR's insurance does NOT cover so in effect ROAR insurance may not cover us as we are out of country for their insurers and this debate from what I hear is currently ongoing.Secondly and another important issue is I have heard there is a section of MAAC specifically for RC car enthusiasts.I had previously spoken with someone once about something along the lines of Canada becoming it's own governing body and becoming a member of IFMAR.In order for that to even become something to work on there would have to be an insuring party such as MAAC is for model aircraft in Canada.As we know this will probably be next to impossible as TRexx is VP or something like that in IFMAR and would probably bias the decision in favor of dis-alowing a seperate Canadian sanctioning body.I do not know the man personally but I have heard from enough influential people that he is not in favor of doing anything for Canada.
If I get appointed as a ROAR rep I would like to see ROAR do something for us besides take the yearly fee and hand us a magazine.If a new governing body is created through something like MAAC or something similar then I welcome that with the hope that it will serve Canadian interests as its #1 priority just as ROAR has for Americans.I have nothing against ROAR, I believe they are looking out for their own.It's just too bad they don't see us as part of that.If they want to know why Canadians don't renew memberships they need only look to their own policies and relationships with us.
I look forward to a governing body for organized racing in Canada that has our interests at heart no matter what organization is involved.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-07-2002, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

Inferno, I see your point and have also heard many of the things you refer to. But until I speak or know for sure where ROAR stands on these issues, I will stay on track with it.

If you are saying what I think you are, you speak of maybe starting our own sanctioning body for Canada. Finding an appropriate insurance supplier and getting a true Canadian "recognized" series. I would be all for it but would be a huge undertaking, rule book, IFMAR, clubs, tracks, memberships etc.

Because I don't know enough about ROAR (other than they have a bad rap in Canada) I can't really offer much of an opinion on if it is or isn't a bad idea. I'm sure one of us will get ahold of someone of importance fairly soon and much of this will be resolved. You never know it might be fairly simple to register with ROAR and race. Here's hoping.
Old 12-07-2002, 09:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Inferno - you are right, there are issues. When Nascar checked in to the Roar insurance issue for our Nat we were given a legal opinion that Roar's insurance would not cover us.

To cut to the poin there are only 4 reasons to join Roar from my perspective:
1. IT IS THE ONLY WAY TO GET A CHANCE TO RACE IN THE WORLDS. PERIOD - END OF STORY. IFMAR only recognizes the 3 founding blocks ... we belong to Roar. There is no way to start our own and be recognized. We'd have to have our own worlds...
I have an email from IFMAR stating this - when I get home I'll post it.

2. They have been around a long time and are the "name-brand" for organized R/C racing in North America.

3. They wrote the rules that almost everyone follows; sanctioned or not

4. Rev-up lets you know what is going on.

Those really are the only reasons for Canada. I know Roar are working hard to give more value... and hopefully there will be other reasons in the future.

As far as Nitro-only goes, we're hoping for a good turnout because of the huge interest and large number of cars sold recently. It seems to me we should get 30-40 racers for each class... more if we advertise well.

This all assumes we get sanctioning... which is by no means a sure thing yet.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:08 AM
Tech Master

I can see a compromise between the idea of our own sanctioning body and that of a ROAR affiliation.Under the insurance and help of (lets say MAAC) we could begin our own governing body that is directly affilliated with ROAR and falls within their geographic area.
If ROAR has any interest in Canadians becoming part of what they have to offer and collecting any monies from us for any membership fees then the price should be adjusted accordingly as we are not paying for insurance because we are exempt from being insured.I think having a race that has large turnouts such as National events should have insurance just because of the reason you would buy insurance, the inevitable is bound to occurr and it happens in a split moment.
Now I know it would be a huge undertaking to begin on such a task of building a governing body for Canada,but the benifits heavily outweigh the load of the burden in the end as long as enough people want this and are willing to do something about it.
Now lets say theoretically Canada came up with its own governing body and the popularity amoung Canadians to join in memberships grew to numbers never seen before by ROAR for this region.Would this not tell IFMAR something about Canada as a country with a strong community of RC enthusiasts?
I do know of many RC owners that have never bought a membership due to the cost and lack of venues to justify the cost of a membership for ROAR locally.If we could come up with something here in Canada it would probably be similar in cost Canadian dollars to that of a MAAC membership for a year and this will cover you for liabillity insurance.
The debate has been rehashed time and time again as to whether Canada should be a part of ROAR but the question should be ,should ROAR be a part of Canada?.We have the abillity and resources to do great things here and we should not have to accept dictation from another country that does not even fully support us as the rest of their members are.
I realize I could get raked over the coals for having views such as these but I know I am not the only one here in fact I would say I am part of a majority in this country that knows what is going on.
Basically my point is racers al the way from the local club guys and gals right up to the pro's can benifit in some way by us having our own gov. body if not at least to have insured members which is very responsible to say the least.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Guys - thanks for all the off-line email. Everyone has valid points...

It seems that there is a lot of concern over having a Roar Nats now. The last on-road one almost killed Terry and I to put on. I'm thinking maybe it is not worth it and we should direct our efforts 100% on the Canadian series? At least for the series we have already agreed on everything.

I'll be talking/meeting with Delmo next week and we'll see if/what the Red Deer club wants to do.

I also have heard NOTHING from Roar in 1.5 weeks. Not even a "we got your email and are thinking about it..." I'm thinking of calling Rick to see what's up. It might just have to do with the recent elections...

Anyway - for now this remains an idea ...
Old 12-08-2002, 03:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Cool 2003 Nats.

OH MY GOD, YOU MUST HAVE BEEN OUT INTHE SUN TOOOOOO LONG WITH OUT A HAT CHRIS ANOTHER NATS.

Just kidding. It is lot of work as you know , we had quite a few volunteers that busted their humps to make it the success I believe it was. As to roar Nats I don't know at this time or just how relevant it is . The frustration you and Paul had dealing with ROAR took away a lot of the fun of organizing the event. They don't seem to understand or "care " what it takes for a club to put on such an event. PLUS the financial burden on the club and your and my Visa ( paying up front for motors and tires) It took the club 6months to get its money back, which would probably never happened with out HOBBY DIRECT'S help. Check the roar web site "ELECTION RESULTS" . Total votes 455 7.9%of membership. 1 vote from Canada. Roars world wide membership is just over 4000 . Does that tell us something about the state of our hobby or sport or what ever it is .
But most of all I believe we do this for fun and I do have fun . I try to participate with the club and help when and where I can. More later, good luck I will help where and when I can.

THE OLD FART LIVES!!!!!!!!

PS. The asphalt nats had nothing to do with my bypass surgery or did it. HMMMMMM. Later . Terry

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.