Like Tree9Likes

2018/2019 WCICS Official Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Default 2018/2019 WCICS Official Thread

Congrats to all the racers from our 27th Anniversary season! Already looking forward to another season of racing in Western Canada, lol! As always, we'll again have the rules out MONTHS ahead of time, giving racers lots of time to prepare for next season.

I'm really happy to report almost of the club reps and the WCICS Exec continue unchanged into this new season, which is great and I think shows how well everything is working in this series! Huge thanks to the WCICS Team for an outstanding year!:

Korgae Scales (Competition Director)
Luke Pittman (Website)

To all the club reps and clubs that put on such great events, great job guys!

Most importantly HUGE THANKS to all the racers!

Sponsors

PROTOform: WCICS Title Sponsor
Motiv RC: WCICS Live Platinum Sponsor
Sweep Racing: TC Spec Tires
Great Hobbies: TC Stock Class
RC America/XRay: TC Mod Class
Reedy: 12th Mod Class
ATD Hobbies: Tamiya Mini Class
CRC: 12th Stock Class
Gripworks RC: F1 Class
Blinds Plus: WCICS Scale Spec (USGT/CTA/GT) Class
Catch 22 Media: Official Website and WCICS LIVE!!!
Best Western Hotels: Official Hotels
Discount Vehicle Rentals: Official Vehicle Rentals

Season Schedule

The very tentative schedule is below, and I'll be filling in the date confirmations when the remaining clubs have confirmation of their venue bookings.

NOTE: Every club could have venue booking issues, so the dates are just early estimates until it says CONFIRMED:

September Sept 28-30th: Stuart Johnson, Edmonton, AB CONFIRMED. NEW LOCATION: Millennium Place 2000 Premier Way, Sherwood Park
October 19-21st: Danny Buck-SarCar, Saskatoon, SK CONFIRMED
November 30-Dec 2nd: Earl Towsend-Kelowna, AB CONFIRMED
January 11-13th: Blake Bell-IROCC, Victoria, BC CONFIRMED
February 8-10th: Lance Radke-Fastraxx, Regina, SK CONFIRMED
March 1-3th: Jason Mardon-TVRCRC, Kamloops, BC
April 5-7th: James Ryan-CarCar, Calgary, AB CONFIRMED

Weekend Schedule

Friday: Setup, registration, practice and Drivers Meeting 9pm.
Saturday: 3 rounds of qualifying, (note: resort after EVERY round). The final qualifying order set Sat night after round 3 will be kept for all the mains on Sunday.
Sunday: Any Shootout/Deathmatch runs, then 3 full rounds of mains, tons of RACING!

Rules

Full rules will be posted on WCICS.ca website when they become official on Sept 1, but here's what was discussed and voted on at the AGM:

Here are the new rules for this season. The mains format has been very well received, and so now we're rolling out triple mains for everyone! Also, even though it's our policy to follow ROAR, we resisted changing the stock motors last year. But thanks to the motor companies finding even more power, and better black carpet setups, the stock classes have gotten even faster, so now the stock classes are just too fast for beginners, and moreover TC Stock and Mod are almost identical lap times.

1. TC Stock motor changed to 21.5 turn
2. Scale Spec minimum weight reduced to 1380g
3. 12 Stock motor changed to 17.5 turn
4. 12 Mod changed to no timing/boost ("Blinky")
5. ALL mains changed to triple mains (A to Z mains)

We also discussed presorts, and as we continuously improve the series the reps are working with Korgae and Luke to refine a pre-sorting algorithm to simplify the process and reduce the amount of manual work the RD has to do.

Discussion

From the talking with racers in Calgary on Sunday, most of the changes are welcomed, the ones that had the most comments are the motor changes in TC and 12 stock; so here's some of the discussion that went around this. The combination of black carpet (and improving car setups allowing us to carry more speed on black carpet), motors getting even faster, and the continuous advances in batteries (HV, Graphene, etc), has substantially increased the speeds of stock. TC Stock has closed the gap to Mod so much it's now only a couple tenths slower. That’s too fast for a beginner to step into! ROAR changed last year and we held off for an extra year, but motors have only gotten faster, so the vote was that it’s time to make the change.

A couple side benefits (YMMV): You can take that hot 17.5 motor from your TC Stock and put it in your 12 Stock! And now a racer can use one chassis for TC Stock and Scale Spec, two of our biggest classes, with just a body and tire swap! And from testing, the ride height and the weights (now that Scale Spec is 1380g) are almost exactly bang on with just the wheels and body change, so with the same chassis in less than a minute and you're running in 2 big classes!

That's about it for now, as soon as the snow melts we'll all be off doing summer stuff, so if you have any questions please ask your local club rep as I won't be online much. All the club reps were present and involved in the decisions in the meeting, and can give you any details.

As always, this is a non-profit series, and everything here is a direct result of the hard work of all the volunteers (reps, RD's, tech, WCICS Exec, WCICS Directors, club exec, etc). If you have comments, keep it in mind and be kind! This season was exceptionally polite and considerate, we love it and want to keep the good feelings rolling!

Have a great summer and we'll see you in September for some great RC racing!

Josh
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2018 WCICS Rules.pdf (1.03 MB, 0 views)

Last edited by IronRing Racing; 10-17-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Please keep the replies clean and constructive
Old 04-09-2018, 07:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Big thanks to the club reps and proxies (Brent, Danny, Earl, Jon, Lance, Trevor) for an efficient and productive AGM meeting. It's not easy to navigate through the constant change in our industry, especially with seven different viewpoints from seven different clubs in seven different cities. These guys gave some really thoughtful analysis to next year's changes, all with the goal of trying to improve the series for all the racers at all the clubs in all the cities. Add in insights from the Exec team (Korgae and Luke), and Josh distilling all our various thoughts/opinions down to the root topics, and you have a fair bit of cooperative reasoning happening. Thanks guys for working through it professionally and productively.

Looking forward to 2018/2019!

Blake
Old 04-09-2018, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn View Post
Please keep the replies clean and constructive

lol
Old 04-10-2018, 03:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just a friendly note - going forward for next season all racers will be responsible for making sure their name is entered correctly at every race they attend if they want their results to count for points.

The only two correct formats would be:
Luke Pittman
Pittman, Luke

Incorrect formats would be:
@Luke Pittman (no odd characters)
#Pittman, Luke (again, no odd characters)
Luke Pittman2 (no numbers)
Pittman Luke (incorrect name format)

I've been encountering this issues all season and it creates a lot of work for me after the fact. For next season it is entirely your responsibility. If you check the heat sheet and your name is not one of the two acceptable formats then you'll need to talk to the RD and ask them to correct it. Not me. Not Luke Pittman. The race director.

Thanks!

Last edited by lpittman; 04-10-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lpittman View Post
Not me. Not Luke Pittman. The race director.
Such a hard a$$
Old 04-11-2018, 09:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by big_ads View Post
Such a hard a$$
Ladies and gentleman, looks like Adam Balk has volunteered to manage points for next season! Big thanks to Adam!
big_ads and irvinew like this.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Talking

Just a friendly note - going forward for next season all racers will be responsible for making sure their name is entered correctly at every race they attend if they want their results to count for points.

The only two correct formats would be:
Luke Pittman
Pittman, Luke
So you want everyone to register as Luke Pittman? That's one way to win all classes J/K of course!
big_ads likes this.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:53 PM
Tech Adept

Ladies and gentleman, looks like Adam Balk has volunteered to manage points for next season! Big thanks to Adam!
Atta boy Adam!
Old 04-16-2018, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by eevul View Post
So you want everyone to register as Luke Pittman? That's one way to win all classes J/K of course!
lol, poor Luke, but that did make me laugh!
Old 05-12-2018, 08:54 PM
Tech Rookie

I have a question for 1/12 mod. Is their an turn limit on the motor? Is it open tire or crc spec?
Old 05-14-2018, 06:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 91blackbird View Post
I have a question for 1/12 mod. Is their an turn limit on the motor? Is it open tire or crc spec?
1/12 Mod is open motor, open tire. The only change that was made to the class for this year was to not allow timing in the speed controls similar to the stock classes. We will be checking 1/12 Mod cars for blinky mode in pre-tech at the events.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I really like these changes and think the TC Stock will be a much better class as a result. Our home club has made the switch to 21.5 motors for stock, and we (well the fast guys anyways) are actually running faster laps than they were with a 17.5 motor. Should be a fun 18/19 WCICS season coming up!
Old 05-26-2018, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CamLS View Post
I really like these changes and think the TC Stock will be a much better class as a result. Our home club has made the switch to 21.5 motors for stock, and we (well the fast guys anyways) are actually running faster laps than they were with a 17.5 motor. Should be a fun 18/19 WCICS season coming up!
What's the lap time difference between the 21.5 stock and usgt? In the states it looked like 1 tenth by the top pros.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You can run faster because you don't have the chance to make high speed mistakes. 21.5 makes for a predictable race pretty much every time whereas 17.5 made you drive smarter because it was faster and harder to control. Yes i agree that 21.5 is a smarter choice for those getting into the hobby and getting into competitive racing. If we ever wanted a true "stock" class, we would be running handout esc's and motors with locked timing. Gives no one an advantage and everyone runs the same (similar to ETS), Yes i understand that A.) that wont be feasible for us as it costs an arm and leg to set up (we would need like....50 or more...plus we would have to think how many would blow up so spares would be needed too.) B.) If we did just motors with locked timing that may work better, but electronics are always getting better and ESC's do soooooo much of the work that it would just become a speed control war all over again (remember the tekin boost days?)

My thoughts? if your a fast dude then come play in mod. One of the reasons stock is soooo close to mod (my thinking) is that not many people practice full time with a mod car or take mod as the fun second class. If more people took mod as serious as stock, i don't think we would see such close timing gaps.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service