Los Angeles RC meetup

Old 08-31-2016, 12:35 AM
Tech Addict

Default Los Angeles RC meetup

Hi all,

Is there any regular place that people come together in Los Angeles to race RC? If you know of any informal/formal meetups to drive cars, I'd appreciate it. I don't think I am the only one looking to drive, so if you know, please spread the word!

Location,
Time,
Day of the week,
Type of vehicles,
Fee?

I am pretty new to RC in LA, and would like to know where people just show up, talk shop about RC and drive.

I live pretty central like Jefferson Park, West Adams, Culver City adjacent, 15 mins from downtown. But I would be interested to know if people come together on a weekday/weekend afternoon/evening in a big parking lot, or set track anywhere in Los Angeles to bash cars. 🤣

Los Angeles is a big city, I know. I am just trying to find people with a common interest.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2016, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 4roller View Post
Hi all,

Is there any regular place that people come together in Los Angeles to race RC? If you know of any informal/formal meetups to drive cars, I'd appreciate it. I don't think I am the only one looking to drive, so if you know, please spread the word!

Location,
Time,
Day of the week,
Type of vehicles,
Fee?

I am pretty new to RC in LA, and would like to know where people just show up, talk shop about RC and drive.

I live pretty central like Jefferson Park, West Adams, Culver City adjacent, 15 mins from downtown. But I would be interested to know if people come together on a weekday/weekend afternoon/evening in a big parking lot, or set track anywhere in Los Angeles to bash cars. 🤣

Los Angeles is a big city, I know. I am just trying to find people with a common interest.

Thanks!
what type of RC do you have or run or want to run ?
Old 08-31-2016, 08:51 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BigC2007 View Post
what type of RC do you have or run or want to run ?
I have a Tamiya XV-01 rally car set up slicks,sway bars, and lowered suspension for street. I know it's not your usual light weight competition chassis or even club racer. But it does well in dusty, dirty and rocky parking lots situations where most exposed belted TC drivers shy away from. I'd also like to see how it holds up against other road cars on road like surfaces. Prepped track or otherwise.

I am even interested in driving with monster trucks converted to street, minis, full on mod TCs open class, drive what you brought type scenarios.

I see that there is GLAACRC (or something to that affect) who drive every Sunday? Down in central Atesia off the 110 mostly nitro. And U(vc?) Raceway up in the valley also Sunday. And the Tamiya track way down in Orange County also Sunday. An indoor drift only track in Covina?

Those are mostly farther from me. But I'd like to know if you know of any other places.

The only other RC I've seen remotely in my area (once) was a guy in my neighborhood, Crenshaw and Adams ripping what seemed to be road car at the gas station parking lot, pretty late at night. He was driving on the big busy street and said gas station lot. Looked like a recipe for squashed car with all that traffic, but had a big smile on his face. Hah.

I mostly drive up and down on my little dusty street in front of my house, never really being able to drive full speed, in fear of smashing into parked cars, but would like to try driving on a set track, no matter how busted up it is. Rally FTW 😎

Last edited by 4roller; 08-31-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

URCV is probably your best bet, you can practice all day for $10. Some people will race, some will not but you can run from 10am to 6pm almost every Sunday and a bunch of Saturdays. The track is pretty well prepped and safe to drive full speed

GLARCRC races twice a month, they run a pretty tight show so I don't think you could get away with unlimited practice except when they do run, they setup on Saturdays and you can practice for I believe $10 all day with whatever you want and the track is huge!

I don't know of any private meetups, I know people in FL do a ton of drag racing for money in random office complexes but I don't know of anything even remotely like that here.

I live somewhat near you, and yeah it just takes me 30 miles to get to any track.. It's unfortunate at best.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I live in the same area, I wish there were something closer,but oh well. I am going to try to get back into racing soon, will probably go to the tamiya tack or TQ some Saturdays to get some practice, hope to see you guys some day.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrod View Post
I live in the same area, I wish there were something closer,but oh well. I am going to try to get back into racing soon, will probably go to the tamiya tack or TQ some Saturdays to get some practice, hope to see you guys some day.
Try these:http://www.tqrcracing.com/

http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/tcs.php?article-id=557

http://www.revrace.com/index.cfm
Old 09-01-2016, 12:53 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the links.

What kind of cars is everyone else driving?

Do these places mentioned here and above accept any car to practice? And with any motor/esc?

I am running. Hobbywing xerun v3.1, 13.5t motor and a ROAR approved 5000mah lipo. I can set it up blinky and other. I am not too familiar with classes, though, if I was to race, what would specs are acceptable for novice? #turns, etc?
Old 09-01-2016, 01:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by multiracer2 View Post
Nothing wrong with Tamiya if you have a Tamiya car, otherwise you are not able to run with their weekly program.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:18 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the links.

Do these places mentioned here and above accept any car to practice? And with any motor/esc?

I am running. Hobbywing xerun v3.1, 13.5t motor and a ROAR approved 5000mah lipo. I can set it up blinky and other. I am not too familiar with classes, though, if I was to race, what would specs are acceptable for novice? #turns, etc?
17.5 sedan is the most popular, 13.5 is also acceptable since you have it and you can likely get away with it for a race or two but you'll want a 17.5 as you get better, the next step for competition will be there at 17.5 for a little while.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:04 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the links.

Tamiya is open for practice Saturdays(as long as u have a Tamiya Car ) for free, u just give a $5 donation for the Generator, EZ up, table, power cord & chair is recommended. Ur XV01 is ok for practice, but not sure if part of the recommended chassis if u decide to race TCS. No practice if there is an event like TCS, Reedy, Tuning Haus, etc. TQ Rc is open for practice Wed to Sunday with the exception of their regular Summer and Winter Series races(Sundays). It is indoor carpet and u just need to bring ur self and the car.LOL. Revelation is a parking lot track , they have practice on both weekdays and weekends with the exception of Club racing on weekends. Best to bring EZ up like Tamiya since outdoor. Please check their websites to be sure on the schedules, etc. Hope this helps. With the exception of Tamiya, the other 2 tracks accept all brands, although TQ accepts only 1/10 scale and below and electric only, while Revelation also runs 1/8 and nitro aside from 1/10.BTW, Tamiya does not have an on site Hobby Shop . TQ and Rev does.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:12 PM
Tech Addict

Here's one more. Cal Raceway in Orange, CA

Nice outdoor track, a lot smaller than Tamiya though. No on site Hobby Shop

http://calraceway.com/
Old 09-01-2016, 10:56 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the information all.

I talked to one hobby shop owner in K-town (Galleria Hobby) and he himself said he wanted to open a track somewhere central. But real estate prices are far too expensive for such a thing. Maybe that's why most of these tracks listed are way out in suburban towns, where land and rent is cheaper.

I guess if I was to go anywhere I would have to make a day out of it rather then say show up after work for a couple hours.

The 10 freeway is absolutely atrocious after work. For all the tracks that California has, none of them are in LA proper.

I'll have to check out the Tamiya track or URCV sometime, they seem to be the closest ones to me.

If anyone is doing meetup, they should post. I'd love to check out some other people's rides.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Local best track for bashing or racing is Revelation Raceway. You can run anything you like here. Check out Revrace.com
I usually go there every saturday if my wife allows me.
Revelation raceway stay open late until 11:00 pm on tuesdays, thursdays.
I'm located in K-Town, and it's 40 minute drive, about 39 miles.
I will be there tomorrow morning. If you see a guy with ikea bag, that's me lol.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:42 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm also in the central LA area, near you. It's pretty sad that there are no tracks in the city. I went to TQ racing once and it's pretty nice, I'm just not really willing to spend 3 hours on the freeway in a day to get in a couple hours of track time.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:49 AM
Tech Addict

If I show up at one of these tracks, I am sure they have a fee. But can I just drive whatever car I brought, assuming a road car on a road track.

Or do I have to adhear to the right kind of tires, motor, etc?

I guess open practices are open. What are novice classes like?

Anyway. I hear you, driving 2 hours for 2-3 hours of play time seems a little excessive. One may as well just drive on the street.

Socal is one of the meccas of RC. At least it was back in the 1990s. I remember as a kid, reading RC Car Action magazine and looking at all the hobby shops and tracks in SoCal, wishing I lived here. Now I do, and there are far and few shops and tracks.

Someone might just need to pull a GLAACRC and take over a parking lot at USC or something.

*Nudge*

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.