Wiki Posts
Search

ENCINO VELODROME RACING

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I know Holiday Weekends are tough for some racers, but I am shooting to put our next VELO race on THANKSGIVING WEEKEND. I hope to have details locked down in a couple days, but for those who might ask "WHY WOULD JOE PUT A RACE ON THANKSGIVING WEEKEND", I have a very specific reason for these dates.
Basically, the same reason I put our 1st Velo Return in late JUNE...my son should have a week or so of LEAVE (He's in the NAVY) and we plan to get him home, and visit some family the week before Thanksgiving, and give him another chance to race while he's here.
R/C Racing with my son by my side for the past 15 or so years has been a blast for me, this weekends Velo race is one of a very few he wasn't there racing and helping me with (and believe me, he was missed)

I hope many of you will be able to join us, and help make the THANKSGIVING race special.

btw -- the DIRT car classes this weekend were a hoot, We ran (3) classes of dirt "Modified" bodied cars, but the Sport Mod (Spec Slash) guys were awesome with their door to door, nose to tail and awesome drafting...

One class I'd like to see added to that group would be a "Strictly Stock" SLASH 2wd Class (Stock Slash Short Course Body) --- ALL BONE STOCK with only a PINION GEAR CHANGE for the big track.

STOCK/SPEC racing breeds some of the most fun and close racing.
STAY TUNED -- will nail down details and have a flyer up soon.

(BTW - a BRAND NEW Scoring System Decoder "Coax" Cable has been purchased, that should cure any of the scoring issues we had this weekend)

13.5/1c MAIN EVENT

https://youtu.be/tcVAojri0nQ

Last edited by SWTour; 09-05-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
Is THIS Carlo Albera??? (That's a name I haven't heard in what....15 years?)

Contact DON NATALE (he's the CS Guy at Team Associated during the week) he can help you out with some of the stuff.

Also, let me know if you are on facebook, and I'll add you to the group called RC VELO RACERS - https://www.facebook.com/groups/rcveloracers/

Several guys there wheel and deal in stuff, and someone can get you set up.

If this is Carlo, how's your dad? Been a long time!
Hey Joe! It is me the one and only.. Yup its been a long time! I contacted Don and sent a request to join the group. Dad is good and he too is looking to do some velodrome racing just like me. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods and I look forward to making it to the November race!
Old 09-21-2016, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

Default Encino Velodrome Fun Run III -- Thanksgiving Throwdown

Practice on Friday, Racing on Saturday (THANKSGIVING WEEKEND) at the ENCINO VELODROME. NOVEMBER 25&26, 2016
Old 09-29-2016, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

A Link to the FLYER with sign up info has been posted on the FaceBook Group page RC VELO RACERS

I'll post a link here to the preview, but I am not sure if this works or not.

Last edited by SWTour; 09-30-2016 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

Just a little over a month and we are running.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

I hope we have great weather -- it's so hard to know what we'll get this time of year.

Looks like we should have 4-6 BRAND NEW people for the Nov race -- which is very cool!!
Old 10-30-2016, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

With the date selected for the Thanksgiving Throwdown being on Thanksgiving Weekend, I fully expected we wouldn't see a full field of cars...but instead it's looking like another GREAT turnout with 6-7 NEW cars for this race planning to be there.

Hopefully all the pieces are falling in to place for everyone -- and I'm really hoping we can come up with a solution to make some of building and outfitting VELODROME cars easier in the future.

NOTE: Bodies

For Stock Car Classes we pretty much have had 3 bodies available to us for the last 20 years or so.

Currently only 2 of those are available, and I haven't got word if the 3rd will be back in to play or not.

The McAllister Racing Bodies "High Speed" Body is part number 197 -- contact McAllister Racing directly at his email address [email protected] or call (928) 714-1799 and ask for this body, as it generally isn't available from your local hobby shops do to it's low demand (since we're the only ones in the U.S. running velodrome racing)

The "WINDTUNNEL" XHS Taurus Part number WT2249 (extreme high speed) body is available directly from WINDTUNNEL RACING as well.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:31 AM
Tech Elite

2 weeks - start the count down - I hope this spring/summer type weather holds on or comes back. (We were 84 today a couple hours North of the track)
Old 11-24-2016, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

FRIDAY PRACTICE - Gate open by noon - $20.00
SATURDAY RACE -- Gate open by 8 a.m. - $40.00 1st class / $10.00 ea add'l class.

CHANCE OF RAIN on Saturday, so we're going to try to get running as early as possible, and get a whole show in before IT GETS THERE!
Old 11-29-2016, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

What a great holiday weekend of practice and racing, to bad that some didn't to race their mains. But the Velo doesn't disappoint, fast cars, exciting action, some crashing and repairing!

Thank Joe! See ya at the next one!
Old 11-08-2017, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

2017 THANKSGIVING THROWDOWN at the Encino Velodrome

NOVEMBER 24 (Black Friday) & NOVEMBER 25 (Saturday), 2017

FRIDAY PRACTICE - Gate open by noon - $20.00
SATURDAY RACE -- Gate open by 8 a.m. - $40.00 1st class / $10.00 ea add'l class.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:26 AM
Tech Elite

THIS WEEKEND is our 2nd ANNUAL THANKSGIVING THROWDOWN at the ENCINO VELODROME in Encino CA!

If you are in the area, stop by and check it out -- Practice on Friday afternoon and racing at 10 on Saturday.

Last edited by SWTour; 11-23-2017 at 02:04 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Gutted I cant make it. I even picked up more EHW tires (even though the front I got 2nd hand arent EHW , but I do have 2 extra sets of silver rears now). I will plan on getting my son to come out, both of us with NasTrucks...I failed at building a car...
Old 11-26-2017, 12:37 AM
Tech Elite

Bummed you couldn't make it Joey! Was a small turnout, but a wonderful day of racing with awesome weather!

Here are the race winners. Scot Petitclerc won 2 of the 3 classes he ran, finished 2nd in the 3rd. (Won NASTRUCK & 21.5/2c STOCK CAR)

Chris Stevens won both of his classes - OVAL SPEC and GTR Spec

Nic Case won the HOTROD class 17.5/2c Stock Car (& a 35 lap run in qualifying, which I believe is a record for this class)

FULL RACE RESULTS

Last edited by SWTour; 11-26-2017 at 01:48 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

1st VELO Race of 2018 will be Saturday March 10th.

Created a NEW posting for 2018.