Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > California Racing
A thought about the tracks closing.. >

A thought about the tracks closing..

A thought about the tracks closing..

Old 05-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default A thought about the tracks closing..

Hey guys.

I was a huge supporter of local hobby shops and tracks. Ultimate Hobbies, Speedtech and the tracks made a bundle off me.

I originally came on here because after a few years out of the sport (for work reasons) I want to get back into the hobby. I originally came on here to figure out what I should buy. I used to have an HB Cyclone and figured i'd get a HB TCXX but after that I still don't know what radio (futaba 4pk?) and speed control and motor and what body is the in body these days. I also want a SC truck. Basically money is no object to me and i want the best. PM if you have any advice.

Bottom line is I used to be a regular at WCRC and was super bummed to learn that it closed. I just learned today. And before anyone accuses me of being part of the problem let me say that its because I LIVE IN CANADA NOW. lol.

I loved that place. It was super fun and super friendly. But attendance was crappy and that place has insane overhead for what its serving.

Made me think about what other businesses have crappy customer retention but still manage to stay in business. One of the few examples I could think of were Gyms! You really want a nice one but chances are you stop going for one reason or another. If there was a very nice indoor track - like the Tamiya track how much would you pay to join on a Monthly basis with an annual contract.

100 a month? Just to be a member and that includes race fees? Maybe its a co-op?
Old 05-26-2014, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

i read the op twice and still confused what its about. a guy in canada wanting to know about memberships?
Old 05-26-2014, 10:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mindcrimes View Post
i read the op twice and still confused what its about. a guy in canada wanting to know about memberships?
I'm saying, and I wasn't exactly clear the first time, if tracks would be better served by changing their business model.

Instead of race fees, maybe charge membership that is monthly and recurring. Similar to a gym.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Well Josh, as someone who continues to race where I am allowed with what I have, I'm happy. At Tamiya you are only allowed on the track with a Tamiya car. For TCS you race for free (allegedly) but you must have a car, body, wheels, and tires made by Tamiya. Batteries and motors must be Tamiya recommended. How free is that?

As far as WCRC closing. It was eminent. Onroad racing was never given a fair chance there. Nice track but too many canceled races. No big races given. Track was seldomly cleaned. Offroad had big events every 2 months or so. Track was watered 3-5 times a day. Ownership created a unwarm feeling for many on and offroad racers. Many vowed to not go back. The facility was very nice though.

I don't mind paying to race rather than having a membership at the place of business. I also race in Camarillo with the Road Runners. I have been a member there since 04'. If the membership fee helps keep the club going, I'm ok with paying and helping out when I can. A business that charges you to race then expects you to help maintain or setup the place is where I draw the line.

Anyhow, I hope Canada treats you well. Many companies to choose from so research wisely. Radios are always the same. Futaba, Airtronics, and KO Propo are always the best thing out there. I currently have a Radiopost but really considering one of the big three again. Good luck with whatever you get.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

It's my opinion that successful tracks rely on people that are Passionate about the hobby

owner/operator/club whichever it is

Just remember, we all do this for fun

and, yes
TCS races are always no charge
Old 05-27-2014, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OCRC does offer somekind of membership club, where you pay a yearly fee. and get a discount on practice and race nights, and the money you put out for that membership, the savings could be made back in 1-2 weeks.

I also heard part of WCRC was also the fact Danny had a child and wanted more family time also.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ALIEN3T View Post

I also heard part of WCRC was also the fact Danny had a child and wanted more family time also.
no he wasn't making money off of wcrc anymore and when he tried to raise the prices. while he did that he tried to get all other tracks to raise their prices in which they didn't but he did and he fell. Ocrc then prospered because they were cheaper.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mindcrimes View Post
no he wasn't making money off of wcrc anymore and when he tried to raise the prices. while he did that he tried to get all other tracks to raise their prices in which they didn't but he did and he fell. Ocrc then prospered because they were cheaper.
Not true. OC_RC prospered because-

They ARE friendlier in the pits and in the shop.

The Owner built the track so that he would have a place to race after So-Cal closed.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

The first day I walked into TQ raceway with my car, someone came up to me and looked at my setup. They made some changes and gave me tips without me asking. 3 years later I still go to tq on a weekly basis. Passionate people there. I will attend all tcs races too. Love this hobby, love on-road!
Old 05-29-2014, 09:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I think to have a successful track, you need a constant supply of new people. Provide an easy cost effective way for them to get into the hobby, and don't allow the serious guys to chase them away. Keep it low key and fun. Don't overdo it with too much racing, like WCRC did.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BillPear View Post
Not true. OC_RC prospered because-

They ARE friendlier in the pits and in the shop.

The Owner built the track so that he would have a place to race after So-Cal closed.
i agree with that also!!!
Old 05-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I too think that TQ has the most friendly group that is willing to help with any questions. Sean the owner is also one of the nicest guys I have met allways willing to sell you the right thing the first time and goes the extra mile to keep his customers happy. Not sure if I could say the same for WCRC it was a hit or miss on the customer service peice. Track was nice but people see past how nice a facility is for being able to feel comfortable and have fun without some ahole driver barking at them.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I can certainly agree with the sentiment that Sean at TQ is a very nice and helpful owner! I've only been there once just to get some parts and check out the facility, but I have my TC/VTA car back up to speed and plan on coming out there more often. Looking forward to meeting new Peeps there and supporting a different type of facility!