Anyone Do Rally or RallyX?

Old 01-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Default Anyone Do Rally or RallyX?

Hey guys,

I was checking out the scale rally thread in the off-road section and was wondering if there was any kind of rally or rallyx racing going on in SoCal. It looks like a lot of fun. Please let me know. Thanks.

GS
Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I guess there's no interest in a organized event. Really sucks nobody wants to drift in the dirt.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im down with some rally...
Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 PM
Tech Adept

i would also be interested
Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Tech Addict

i'm interested. some of the scale stage rallies look like fun. i'm just not the event organizer type of guy but if someone would put something together i'd join in.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm all for this class... Half Tarmac and some light dirt...
Old 01-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Francis M.
I'm all for this class... Half Tarmac and some light dirt...
+1
Old 01-17-2013, 08:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would be interested in rally
Old 01-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

I could probably put something together. I would want to keep it simple, tho. I am thinking it should follow a similar formula as the USVTA (i.e. approved body, tires, wheels, etc. list). I am based in Ventura County. Anyone have some ideas as to where we could do this?

Also, list any rally bodies, tires, and such that you think would be appropriate.

Last edited by GeekSpeed; 01-18-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

There's an awesome off road track at Tamiya Raceway in Aliso Veijo that would be perfect for rally. It is used very little or not at all right now and is on the opposite side of the drivers stand from the on road track. You would stand opposite of the on road guys on the drivers stand and could run at the same time as long as there would be no frequency conflicts.
It is primarily a very sandy soil surface and the layout could be designed to be a combo off road/rally course with plenty of room for small jumps and a straight with a sweeper leading into the off road section again. There seems to be little interest to run off road on the track because the soil composition that off road runs today has changed so much since the track was originally installed (1994). It is also on the small side compared to a West Coast or OCRC, but is very good sized for rally.
If you could dig up a roto tiller and a couple of able bodied helpers, you could design a layout that would suite whatever you wanted it to be in a few hours. I bet if you started running there you would pick up a lot of interest from others that run on road there every Saturday.
One word of caution however. Since this track is owned by Tamiya America, only Tamiya RC cars are allowed on the track. That is the downside. The upside is that if you own a Tamiya car racing on the track is FREE! They even have a covered pit area with electricity supplied (no generators or popups needed)! Tamiya just introduced the XV-01 rally car that is made specifically for rally. Go to the Tamiya America (Tamiyausa.com) website for more info part number 58526... it's an awesome car perfect for this type of racing. Speedtech and Ultimate hobbies have them in stock for sale
Old 01-19-2013, 12:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

i in....

it would be nice to run this somewhere besides big jump indoor tracks.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

this has been talked about briefly on socal-rc.com some folks considering converting their 4x4 slash for it...i guess if enough people show up for it you could have a class but with most track designs its either a tarmac or dirt course ...
Old 01-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Tech Regular

While the Tamiya track sounds good, there are a couple of issues that I see. I don't have a Tamiya car that I can turn into a rally racer (unless we want to let me run my Clodbuster, heh), and that is definitely a haul for me. I also think that limiting it to a single make would not be the best plan.

Let me work on a rules package this week and I will post it up. I am definitely thinking that we go along the lines of USVTA so that folks can use old TCs that are sitting around.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GeekSpeed
While the Tamiya track sounds good, there are a couple of issues that I see. I don't have a Tamiya car that I can turn into a rally racer (unless we want to let me run my Clodbuster, heh), and that is definitely a haul for me. I also think that limiting it to a single make would not be the best plan.

Let me work on a rules package this week and I will post it up. I am definitely thinking that we go along the lines of USVTA so that folks can use old TCs that are sitting around.

Agree with that.
How about Slashes or SC10's (2wd or 4wd) that are idle during the short course off season, we can mount proline Ford Focus ST bodies, it'll be like 1/8 scale rally. Unfortunately all our TC chassis's are occupied w/ the recent VTA upsurge as well as our main cars for TC sedan class.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Tech Addict

i have a new format in mind... not your typical rc type race but also not like the scale rally where you're running around chasing your car.

i don't have time this week but i'll try to put my idea down in writing / diagrams.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.