San Luis Obispo Raceway???

Old 09-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Tech Adept

I went down to Slo parks and rec today and talk to Shellie stanwich the director of operations. I proposed to her my idea for a rc raceway in one of the many parks around town. She received the idea rather enthusiastic and gave me a stating point to kick this off. She mentioned that some parks have certain guide lines to what activities can take place. Once a location is ok'd then she said she would help me put a proposal together to be presented to the parks committy for the ok. She said it would also be helpful to get a list of people together that are interested.
This has been goal of mine for a long time to get a track up and running here. I can't do it all alone so shoot me an email and let me know if your interested.
[email protected] Thanks Dustin Boyack
Old 09-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not sure if there is an area in mind, but once upon a time (probably about 25 years ago) SLO P&R allowed a track behind the main/stadium baseball field at Sinsheimer park. It was near the school district's bus parking lot/maintenance yard and train tracks. Noise was not an issue. Not sure if, with the housing developments, that would still be the case.

As I recall, P&R supplied the water and the 'club' paid for the rented chain link fence (to keep bicyclists off the track). Not a great location for visibility to attract new racers, but there were a couple of hobby shops at the time that had flyers promoting the track.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

I was looking on google maps last night and that location looked promising. A little hidden with not much exposure but with enough marketing it shouldnt be a problem...Internet hobby shops farmer market ect.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey fellas,

Im in the north county and I know a bunch of people who would love to commute to slo to a track. Up here we obviously have more room and with that there are a ton of backyard tracks, but we'd give them up in a second for something a little more professional. let me know how i can help!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Tech Adept

Hey iplay thanks for chiming in. Once the location is approved I'm going to try and get all interested parties together and discuss ideas, and resources everyone has and so on.
I'm sure there's many rc'ers in the county it's just a matter of getting the word out. I've been wanting an organized track-racing here for awhile.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Sounds good man keep me in the loop I'm very interested and motivated to help out. Im thinking we can hit up other forums as well as craigslist to maybe get the word out. Have you talked to the hobby shops?

Just fyi, Im 24 not some little kid talking big.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Tech Adept

Lol that's funny! There is a 15 year old kid been hitting me up.
I've talk to marlon at hhq's several times. He doesn't seem motivated. Maybe once more people are on board he may. He did offer up the shop timing system awhile back.
Btw I'm 38 and dead serious about doing this!
Old 09-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Yeah Im on board man. It seem like if you don't know the right people around here you don't get to race on tracks. There are quite a few guys up here that race dirt oval but I know they'd jump in if there was a track. It's too bad SLO hobbies is long gone otherwise I would think they'd help out. Poly performance used to sell rc stuff but it seems like they are mostly drop ship and focused on 1:1 trucks.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Tech Adept

I've run a couple private tracks in paso and Atascadero in the past. It's fun, but not as fun as a track with 10' lanes with piping and borders. I miss slo hobbies, that was my goto shop as a kid. In fact I bought my first truck off Ernie the owner when I turned 16. Once a location is secured, poly performance is one of the company's I am going to contact for possible assistance. My idea was to form a non-profit club, that way any money's or material donations by an individual or business are tax deductable. more of an incentive for people to help out.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Those are good ideas man. Im stoked! Where do we start? Do we need to form a petition?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Tech Adept

First we need approval from parks and rec that the location picked is zoned for what we wanto do. Once that happens, I write up a proposal or intent of use with a general layout of what will take place, what will be built ect...then that goes in front of the board of directors for a vote. The only thing being supplied by parks and rec is the land. All materials tractors what not is our responsibility. No insurance is needed, that's coved under ca. Law, not sure on details but was explained only signage was needed. Participate at your own risk type of deal. A petition or list of interest wouldn't hurt to present to the board.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm no longer a SLO resident but I just wanted to give you a heads up that both the Santa Barbara Elings Raceway and the Camarillo Roadrunners Club track are at parks, so it might be worthwhile asking the leadership at those 2 tracks about advice and common pitfalls in this arena, even if SLO might be a little different.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Any update from parks n rec?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by iplayforkeeps
Any update from parks n rec?
Unfortunately no reply back yet. I think I'll pop in Monday and see what's happening. I have a funny feeling my last email may not have gone through as I sent it out through google maps.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Tech Regular

dustin...not in slo. santa maria justin from the lompoc track by the way

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.