Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > California Racing
Mini-Z Racing in SOCAL…better than ever! >

Mini-Z Racing in SOCAL…better than ever!

Like Tree22Likes

Mini-Z Racing in SOCAL…better than ever!

Old 09-26-2017, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

General note for everyone for this Sunday, if you can please change the power plant in your 5500kv/50T car to 3500kv/70T Nimh. (Not Mandatory, only if you feel ike it but should be a lot of fun.)
Paul will be going to PN World Cup Indonesia next month racing in stock class and is looking for practice buddies to gauge where he's at , we may even do an impromptu race for him for race length practice.
Easy Peasy:
- If you have a Nimh Car then just need to swap motors to 70T or 3500kv.
- if you have a 3500 Lithium car then easiest route would be to have Grant re-wire your car for Nimh for the day.
There should be enough charged Nimh batts to lend out but bring your own if you have them.

Originally Posted by bobbyz View Post
Thx for the kind words. Amazing what fresh tires will do!
Haha, yes always the case, some info on PN KS tires durability (they're darn good tires BTW)...for practice the fronts last and perform for a super long time, pretty much until they get shorter than 22.0mm thats about 2 full days of running "the same car"... most people like yourself practice with multiple cars. The Rears are good for running "the same car" all day, again if your running two cars multiply that by 2 and so on.
For racing days best to start with fresh set of broken in front and rears and maybe change the rears only after practice +3-4 rounds. We usually run qualification+5 rounds so after the 2nd or 3rd main.

Originally Posted by bobbyz View Post
Been wrenching on my 90mm car, so I can get it around the track a bit more consistently.
Looking forward to that, a lot of people are working on their 90mm's, its going to be a nice full field of them come race day.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

Quick note for F1 crowd, for testing this sunday keep the 50T motor in your car but use 53/9 gearing which provides just the right speed without overpowering the car with open gearing, most likely this will be the power plant/gearing requirement for December 3rd's Race. The 70T didn't work out, not enough power to move the heavy F1 around even with open gearing.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Here's one quick & consistent F1, damZ !
Car in Vid same as the one in pic.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thank you Alex for doing what I thought would be impossible... getting my F1 car to work and be reliable I gave it to Alex but I'll be borrowing it when I'm at the track I gave up on that car years ago...
Old 10-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by lightfoot View Post
Thank you Alex for doing what I thought would be impossible... getting my F1 car to work and be reliable I gave it to Alex but I'll be borrowing it when I'm at the track I gave up on that car years ago...
Haha, told'ya so & yet there's more than one equipment package to get the car handle that well, that was the set up 1st & 2nd finishers ran at PNWC 2012...Tons of mini-z racing F1 vids on YT showing car after car running on rails.

Really fun & productive open practice yesterday...8 drivers testing their GT, F1 & 90mm's for December's race and cars are looking good....unfortunately in the midst of all the hustle & bustle we forgot to take a picture of all the lap times to post

November Track Day:
PN staff will be in Indonesia for 2017 PNWC on the first weekend of November & therefore track day for November has been moved to 11/19/17 (third Sunday), just two weeks before December's Race so perfect for practice.

December Race, specific rule revisions as of 10/02/17 in blue:

Last edited by mugler; 10-02-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:34 PM
Tech Master

Lots of Mini-Z news but the new Front Wheel Drive Chassis takes the cake, for now!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

FYI, impromptu PN racing track day tomorrow from 10 to 6.
Join in the fun if you can.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Time Sheets & Video from last Sunday on new October layout.
Again a reminder that for the next 2 Sundays PN will be open from 10 to 6 for open practice as team drivers will be maxing out n practice time for PNWC on first weekend of November in Indonesia.....enjoy the track during these sessions.

+ YouTube Video

Old 10-31-2017, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

A reminder that there will be NO Track Day on this upcoming First Sunday of November 5th.

Philip, Grant as well as 2 PN club racers Paul Rosas & Philip Sun will be at Indonesia for the 13th Annual PNWC, the Biggest 28th Scale race in the world !

If it's decided to open on an alternate November weekend it will be announced at least a week in advance.

December Race Event Reminder on Sun 12/03 (open practice all day on Sat 12/02)
Pre-Registration for December race is open. This should be one of the best race events at PN to date with 3 classes being raced.
FYI majority of racers do not pre register but so far based on verbal confirmations we'll have about 9 Racers for Super Stock 5 for 90mm & 4 for Formula 1 with one or 2 more signups expected in all three categories on race day.

+ YouTube Video
Old 11-10-2017, 04:28 PM
Tech Master

Some PNWC results, news & pics!
Full results HERE. Drop down menus are the gateway to different rounds and heats.

2WD Stock Triple A results (Final points are best 2 of 3 rounds)
Paul Rosa of ON Racing came in 8th in the A sort out of 26 Total Drivers

2WD Mod
Philipp od PN Racings Came in 2nd & Grant in 6th place in A sort
36 total drivers in this class

Pan Mod
Grant 3rd / Phillip 5th
32 Total Drivers

+ YouTube Video

Old 11-16-2017, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Arrow Added Open Practice day on 11/26 !

Track will be open on Sunday (11/26) of Thanks Giving Weekend from 10:00 TO 6:00, perfect timing to get some practice in for the race on following Sunday...I've been told Phillip & Grant will be entertaining some international 28th scale drivers on that day as well...looking forward to that !

Speaking of the race on December 3rd we now for sure have 9 confirmed racers with up to 13 possible on race day...most racers are simply not going to sign up on rccarevents so do not be mislead by that.

See you at the track.

Last edited by mugler; 11-16-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugler View Post

Registration is now Open HERE / If you already know you'll be attending please register sooner rather than later (see comment under "Trophies" below)
You can Register yourself as well as others either under your own email or theirs. (for your race buddies who may not be using paypal)
Rules: Race Specific Rules posted on "overview" section of rccarevents website under main banner.
Dates: Racing on Sunday December 3rd / Practice on Saturday December 2nd.
Location: PN Racing / 13200 Brooks Dr, Suite E, Baldwin Park, CA 91706
Classes:
Super Stock / 90mm / Formula 1
Fee:$20 first class and beyond that sign up for as many other classes and practice for Free (so 20 bucks total)
Trophies ALL classes**: To podium finishers but ONLY if there are at least 8 sign ups by November 30th. (sign up quick
General: Unlike previous events there is no mandatory class to sign up for, you can choose to run any number of classes, however signing up for Super Stock should come in naturally for all drivers specially locals who participated in previous events, this class will have the most chancel to end up as a trophy class.
this looks like a really cool race - wish i had some excuse to be out that way in December

how competitive would the MR02, or the MR015 (in the 90mm class??) be against the newer chassis?
Old 11-17-2017, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Someone needs to make a mini z board that works off the Futaba Fast System. That would be awesome.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

What is considered the slowest class for mini Zs? Also, what is the size of the track these are running on on some of the videos above? Specifically the Mugler has at top of page?
Old 11-21-2017, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
this looks like a really cool race - wish i had some excuse to be out that way in December

how competitive would the MR02, or the MR015 (in the 90mm class??) be against the newer chassis?
MR-015 will not be able to hang but a properly tuned MR-02 can definitely still be competitive in the 90mm class. We're running the wider Bodies like the GT1 & GT3's (2005 & new) and all of those will fit MR-02's width which is same as the PN2.5 chassis we run.

Originally Posted by J-milz View Post
Someone needs to make a mini z board that works off the Futaba Fast System. That would be awesome.
Done!
With PN2.5R chassis you can use any Rx and stand alone esc, the servo runs off a stand alone servo board. The quality of the electronics and final performance is just as good if not better ( specially esc's) ...at the 2017 PNWC many ( i think majority) A- main mod & pan drivers were running stand alone electronics and various radios, with Sanwa being a pre popular choice etc.

Originally Posted by Jsapata View Post
What is considered the slowest class for mini Zs? Also, what is the size of the track these are running on on some of the videos above? Specifically the Mugler has at top of page?
The slowest PNWC sanctioned class is stock with either 70T brushed or 3500kv BL motor and must run on Nimh Batts.
If you meant at our club races then 90mm class will be the slowest which is basically stock with the additional allowance of lithium batts for 3500kv with spec gearing of 53/8 to balance out the speed.
Just to clarify Post #1568 is our club track ( the F1 video above that is somewhere else). Don't know the # of RCP tiles off hand but measurements are close to 27ft in length x app 17ft width.
J-milz likes this.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.57 average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service