Wiki Posts
Search

Richard Smith Memorial Race

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No worries man...you will be there in spirit. We will have a great time tomorrow. THe Roadrunners club is here in OC now, they will attend tomorrow. It looks like we will be having a good little event.

Im looking forward to seeing all the old, familiar faces on top of the new faces that inquired about this race. Lets have so fun the way Richard always did!

See you all in the AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Have a great race and lots of fun today! I wish I could be there...I can't thank you enough.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Linda, we had a great day of racing today with a good turnout of old and new friends. I met your mother and sister and of course Stephanie was threre. A hugh donation of the proceeds, more than what was expected was given to Stephanie. We sold all of Richards RC cars and parts as Stephanie wanted us to. I myself along with others were able to purchase some very fine equipment that Richard once owned. I have know Richard for over 15 years and I and my sons have many memories spending the day racing with him. In fact the car I bought from him last November won todays memorial "Richard Smith Intermediate Race" . It was bitter sweet as if someone helped me drive his car to victory. Your brother was a fine man and he will be missed but not forgotten by all of us in this RC community.

Dan
Old 05-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

RIP Richard Smith. We had a fun day racing in the sun. I almost forgot how much fun parking lot racing is. Thanks Charlie for throwing the race, see you guys again soon...
Old 05-31-2010, 03:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Thank you again!

Again, I just wanted to Thank everyone for the race yesterday and the money that was raised for Stephanie. Richard would have been very humbled by this race.

I am honored and proud to say I've now made some new friends, that I hope to meet in person next time I'm out in CA.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that RC racing, is just more than a hobby, it's a builder of friendship and loyalty, while just being plain fun.

Bless you for your generosity!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Thanks to everyone who came out to help make this memorial race for Richard possible. Avery nice man indeed.

Thanks to all the people/donaters who have helped raise money for Richard's wife. God help his wife and family stay strong and pull his loss.

Thanks Charlie for this race. Thanks to the guys that made the boards for the straight. It made the track hold up better than any other time I can remember. Big improvement to the track.

Had a good time but came home very exhausted. I'll work on the car for the future. I'll figure out that motor some how.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Great track Charlie! Keep up the good work! Joe, I will get you your jump video from Jarrod.

My condolences to Richard Smith's family. I didn't get the chance to meet Richard. But by the looks of how many friends he has that support him, this tells me how good of a person he is.

RIP Richard. You will be missed.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Adept

I had fun. it felt nice to be able to help support Richards family. It was a very fun race day and it was nice seeing every one have fun and not be stressed out. also happy to see all the people who donated money and items to help Richards family
Old 05-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks Charlie..... . Holding a race for Richard Smith's Memorial was a special and unselfish thing to do . In all of my years of racing I have never seen anybody do this. In my book that simply rocks!!!...You da man!!This type of thing is why I love this hobby so much . LOL Thanks to everybody that donated , came out and to the sponsor's ..
Old 05-31-2010, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

FABULOUS!!!!
The weather. Nice, comfortable Huntington Beach Weather.
The track. Smooth, flowy layout, excellent grip.
The racers. Coudln't ask for a better, well rounded, courteous, friendly group.
The event. One of the most memorable and heart felt events OC Circuit has ever had.

Being that i normally am too excited to sleep teh night before a club race, i was pretty much up all night preparing mentally my driver's meeting speech as well as Jarrod K chatting with me on Facebook. The night before, a few of the Roadrunners club, Myself, and Angie went to our favorite Sushi place and dined. I have not laughed so hard in so long..infact, it has been a while since we actually just went out and socialized. It seemed that this event would be a memorable one.

Come the morning of the race, when the cars started coming in one by one, i knew Richard would be very humbled at the amount of support he had in honor of him.

Team Associated Stepped up and donated a glow starter and an SCT8 for the Driver's Auction. "Bad" Rich ended up winning the truck and sold it on the sport, donating the $$$ back to Richard Smith's Memorial Fund. WHAT A GESTURE!!! There were MANY, MANY generous gestures like this.
Here is a pic of BaD Rich and Richard Smith's Family.

Novak electronics donated a few T-shirts, Caps, and a BRAND NEW HAVOC 17.5 system for this event as well.
Jeremy Flint from RC Insider Donated a bunch of T-shirts to show his support.
Jesse from TRU RC Donated a RTR Slash that was FULLy WRAPPED with TRU Graphics on it for the cause.
ABC Hobby Donated a body as well.
Josh Tran, Richard MArquez, Dan Apodaca, and Joe Hegmann also donated their personal items for Richard's family.
THe Roadrunners donated $100 PLUS 20 tshirts to be sold for the RSM fund.
RC DRIVER donated Magazine Subscriptions as wella s FREE WATER for all Racers for this event.

With all this comes one very beautiful thing. A sense of Community. It has been a very rough few years, with this year being the ROUGHEST it has ever been for On-Road in Socal. This small, humble but heartfelt event gave new light and hope that there is a sense of family, togetherness, and love of this hobby. So many people went to talk to Richard's Wife, mother and sister about how much Richard meant to them in their lives. You can tell, Richard's family was so touched by everything and everyone. With all that was said and done, the track was able to raise over $500 and auction about $800 in total of over $1300 to give to Richard's wife, Stephanie. What a great accomplishment!!!! You really couldn't ask for anything more. My thankyous are endless, but i would still want to thank the Special people who made this happen.
Joe Hegman, Best Friend of Richard Smith, and organizer of the Auction
Richard Marquez and Dan Apodaca for Keeping me in the loop with Richard Smith
Steve Bray, Jarrod K, and the Roadrunners club for their continued support in everything we do
Tony Phalen for also supporting our events with no question
Scott Shaefer, Scott Betzer, and Mark Barden for donating, painting, and hinging the new 2x4 boards
ABC Hobby USA for being our#1 Sponsor always giving
Mac Macasero and Mini Cooper for their help in every thing from putting the track away, to fixing the Roadrails

Finally, my CORE people, Joe Mac and Jose Navarro who is what keeps us together making the races happen.
Not one single person is important, but EVERYONE as a unit is what make events like these possible. That along with the Participants is what makes this hobby HOME for a lot of us. THANKYOU SO MUCH!!!

Now, i will let the pix do the talking.

AE PRIZE

RC Driver
RC DRIVER

Last edited by charlie_b; 05-31-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Roadrunners Club Pix

Richard Smith Intermediate Class

Old 05-31-2010, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Gearbox

Auction

And now, for the race results, click here. OC CIRCUIT
Old 05-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Had a great time, and an even better time dropping some cash over at the Richard Smith Memorial Auction House, with Dan Apodaca and Joe Hegman heading that up . Good job Dan on taking the win in the Intermediate Memorial class with the car Richard sold you!!!
Old 06-01-2010, 08:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Not much else to say but........WOW! It was an incredible day with alot of incredible people and, man, it was so much fun. My heart felt, sincere thanks to EVERYONE who participated in this event in any way at all. Thank you so much and many, many thanks again to Charlie and Angie for giving us their time, effort and the opportunity to do this in the first place. Rich would have been proud. See you all again soon