Search

RIP Good Friend.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default RIP Good Friend.

Today, May 4, 2010 at 9am, Richard Smith, Long time racer of OC Circuit and great friend lost his battle with lung cancer. Richard has always been the nice guy on the track. He loved racing rc cars. He ran everything from Sedans to Micro, to T-Maxx's with slicks to F1 cars. He always had a smile on his face and never had any problems with anyone. He truly had a good heart. He found out he had lung cancer a year ago, 2-3 years after he quit. This weekend, his friends, Richard Marquez, Josh Tran, Joe Hegman and a few more arranged a small 2-3 minute race between the mains and qualifiers for Richard's last wish to race an RC Car one last time. he was unable to do so this weekend for his wife has checked him into a Hospice. Today, was his last day. He will always be remembered for being one of the nicest guys on the track. I will miss you dearly good friend. God Bless!!!

If you want to send his wife a card, please send them to:
Stephanie Smith
19921 Derby Shire
Huntington Beach, CA

More info on his memorial soon.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Man, this is a sad day. I've raced with Rich over 100 times...Sedans, F1s, minis, micros, Monster Trucks...you name it, we probably raced in the class. We used to pit together all the time and goof on each other and everyone else. I remember his pit bag was pretty small but no matter what part I broke, he would always have a spare. It was Rich's little bag o' parts.

I will miss you, my friend. You were a good guy to be around.

Keep me posted, CB, on the details of the services. We'll go.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

It is sad to see our good friend pass on. I met Richard about 15 years ago at a Hoppy People race. He had a few step children back then and I had my three boys. We had fun racing F1's together and he was like me, finish the race and then go work on the kids cars. He encouraged me to race at Ultimate Hobbies when Hobby People wasn't racing and then we moved on to OC Circuit with Charlie Barnes. I learned a lot from Richard and we had some good times. I remember hanging out with Richard Marquez, Josh Tran, Mark Deevers and his good friend Joe Hegman at most races and most recently our last race together at toys for tots in LaMirada in 2008. We had a blast together. As Tony said he always had whatever spare part you needed and he cut countless comms for me over the years. We will all miss you good freind and by the way, the TC5 he sold me a few months ago finally won a race two weeks ago at Hobby Town Corona. I will always remember you.

Dan Apodaca
Old 05-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Tech Addict

RIP my friend.

My prayers go out to the family

Raffell
Old 05-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Tech Addict

My prayer to his family and friends.
Rest assured he is now in a better place with God.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I am lost for words as I can not believe Richard has left us. A great guy to hang out with at the track, always having a good time on and off the track. He was one of my first customers at Speed Tech R/C, and has always supported my shop and any special series or events we put up. Racing with Richard and the gang always takes me back in time when R/C was all about having fun and hanging out with friends. Not about who win, the fastest and latest equipment...etc., but about having so much fun on the track that you laugh falling off the driver's stand and you keep laughing about it in the pits. Richard was also one of the cleanest racer I know...one of my most memorable races with Richard was at the KO Grand Prix racing the F201 class. He insisted on keeping it clean even if it meant at the end that he lost out on a podium position. I heard of this news too late, and I really wish I was able to see him one last time...I'm so sorry my friend. We will all miss you dearly.

Steve Wang
Old 05-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Like many here, I too am lost for words. I've known him since the turn of the century and have raced with him for so many times I couldn't possibly count anymore (somehow, we almost seem to end up in the same class and heats and most of the time would stand beside each other to just goof around while racing). Simply, the hobby people races would not have been the same without him.

It's been a while since I last saw Mr. Smith... (I wasn't even aware he was sick). But I will always remember that smile he would always share with everyone. Such a lasting impression... You will be missed sir... Mr. Orange and Gray!

Ian Aquino
Old 05-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'll never for get the time Rich , Joe Hegman and I piled in Joe's van and drove out to Vegas for a Hobby People Silver Bowl race. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas . Just kidding. That was a looong time ago. And I still remember it like it was last week. I'll never forget you . See you in Heaven one day. Carlos A. Ledezma
Old 05-04-2010, 11:25 PM
CL
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Rich was one of the nicest and the most down to earth guy I know. He always have pit space for me under his ez-up and always cheering me on.

RIP good buddy.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Tech Elite

I remember racing with Rich at many diffrent tracks, alot of fun to be around and having good battles always had him smiling on and off the drivers stand ..The many years racing with him wil be greatly missed His memory as being a good friend will stay with me forever .. Rest In Peace Friend and Bless your Family .....
Old 05-05-2010, 01:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Life is so short. I was thinking about Richard a couple of weeks ago and wondering what he had been up to. I remember the fun times he and I had pitting across from each other at Socal years ago, at La Mirada and the RROC. I remember the last time he, Tony, CB and myself went to Vegas for the HP races and we used to all have such a blast. I just can't find the words to convey how sad I am about his passing
Old 05-05-2010, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

That's Rich in the Middle.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Richard was one of the nicest guy to hang out with at the track, super cool guy. You'll be missed. Rest in Peace.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I remember Rich at a TCS race with his F201...and he had this sub-C sized caps on his F201. that sticks out in my memory because he called it his "double barrel shotgun". good times. great guy, super nice....

Rest in peace, you'll be sorely missed.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:00 PM
The Evicerator

Rest In Peace Richard, you will be missed!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.