TQ RC RACING in Chino, California >

TQ RC RACING in Chino, California

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree348Likes

TQ RC RACING in Chino, California

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hi Sean,

April 19 is same weekend as Mile High Nats in Denver. I know it is not local but 8 of the TQ regulars will be there.....

If you are going to have a Spec tire for Summer Series in 13.5 and the tire does not start with S and end with X, I hope I can return the set of tires I just bought today.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Hi Sean,

April 19 is same weekend as Mile High Nats in Denver. I know it is not local but 8 of the TQ regulars will be there.....

If you are going to have a Spec tire for Summer Series in 13.5 and the tire does not start with S and end with X, I hope I can return the set of tires I just bought today.
Sweep QTS32X?

I'm being told I'm supposed to run 13.5 next series. I have many sets of these Sweep QTS premounts... Will these be it?
Old 03-05-2015, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

JACO would be a great choice
Even for the GT class, one of the few great spec wheels with spokes
Old 03-05-2015, 08:48 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I support a handout/spec tire, as long as it works pretty well and lasts decently long. I have just not heard any positives (from anyone) about the QTS-32 tires that have been used before, especially for 13.5 and anything quicker. I see Fred's point that you can tune your car to them, and I am not afraid of that challenge, I just don't want to have to run tires that fall off quickly both during a run, and run over run.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

I think establishing a spec tire in any club series should only be done if the manufacture is going to give a significant discount to the track that is passed onto the racer. If not, why have a spec tire when motors, batteries and everything else is open ? This is a "hobby" where $400 radios, $ 300 chargers and (with electronics) $ 800 -1100 "toy cars" are being raced.

And why go back to a spec tire ? Who is actually racing in the 13.5 class that is pushing for a spec tire and is it a couple of drivers or the majority of drivers in that class ? Or what manufacture is offering to support the series with a discounted tire since their sales will be increased by forcing people who would not normally buy their tire to now do so ?

As for the "challenge", I remember last Summer Series turn marshaling 13.5 racers where a great 2-3 car battle was ruined because the lead car in that pack got off line a little and the car got so loose and next thing was a big pile up. The QTS32 overall has not been the best performing tire at TQ. Why not spec a certain motor or a certain chassis and see how many people want the challenge to get the most out of a motor or chassis they do not care to use.

Save spec tires for one-off or big races where that "chosen tire" company is supporting and discounting the tires to the racers that are forced to use that tire and keep things open for club racing. If not, then run spec tires in every class, not just 17.5 and 13.5 sedan because if a spec tire is good for sedan, it should be good for all the classes run during the club series races. Right ?

Panda
Old 03-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root
I support a handout/spec tire, as long as it works pretty well and lasts decently long. I have just not heard any positives (from anyone) about the QTS-32 tires that have been used before, especially for 13.5 and anything quicker. I see Fred's point that you can tune your car to them, and I am not afraid of that challenge, I just don't want to have to run tires that fall off quickly both during a run, and run over run.
I'm no longer a factory sweep driver so I have no vested interest in pushing their tire. For the record that tire doesn't fall off quickly in fact it gets better the more you run it. 13.5 isn't a fast as modified so my experience with running that particular tire trumps anyone running 13.5. When I recently tested that tire and ran it for the Regionals there was no issue with it falling off as some have told you and it has a long life span. I agree with all you mentioned about how whatever tire is chosen should perform.

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
I think establishing a spec tire in any club series should only be done if the manufacture is going to give a significant discount to the track that is passed onto the racer. If not, why have a spec tire when motors, batteries and everything else is open ? This is a "hobby" where $400 radios, $ 300 chargers and (with electronics) $ 800 -1100 "toy cars" are being raced.

And why go back to a spec tire ? Who is actually racing in the 13.5 class that is pushing for a spec tire and is it a couple of drivers or the majority of drivers in that class ? Or what manufacture is offering to support the series with a discounted tire since their sales will be increased by forcing people who would not normally buy their tire to now do so ?

As for the "challenge", I remember last Summer Series turn marshaling 13.5 racers where a great 2-3 car battle was ruined because the lead car in that pack got off line a little and the car got so loose and next thing was a big pile up. The QTS32 overall has not been the best performing tire at TQ. Why not spec a certain motor or a certain chassis and see how many people want the challenge to get the most out of a motor or chassis they do not care to use.

Save spec tires for one-off or big races where that "chosen tire" company is supporting and discounting the tires to the racers that are forced to use that tire and keep things open for club racing. If not, then run spec tires in every class, not just 17.5 and 13.5 sedan because if a spec tire is good for sedan, it should be good for all the classes run during the club series races. Right ?

Panda
Again, 99% of carpet tracks that race across the country run a control tire, it doesn't have to be a "big event" to have a control tire. If a distributor or manufacturer sees a track constantly buying their tires then they do usually help them out but there has to be history of it happening on a constant basis. This is happening currently with other tracks. Case in point, 5280 has JACO's for their club control tire and charge $25 a set and they have no shop. TQ has a shop that moves lots of product, a loyal following of racers you can easy see how cost wise it could benefit us all with distributors/manufactures with the spending power we have.

Last edited by Fred Hubbard; 03-05-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm ok with spec tire as long as it works well and lasts long.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm all for a spec tire. Either Jaco Blues or Sweep QTS32s would be fine with me.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Performance should be a top consideration for a spec tire for 13.5 sedan class. Summer 2014 series with the spec tire and barely a full A main. Winter 2014 and no spec tire, C mains, great racing and Sportsman drivers running the class (possibly to get away from the spec tire still required in 17.5 Sportsman sedan ?) Hate to see the large growth of the 13.5 sedan class shrink back down if a poor performing spec tire is used. I thought the drivers spoke pretty loud and clear overall on the spec tire issue with their entries and participation in the 2014-2015 Winter Series.

Panda
Old 03-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What parameters define performance? Sorex tires are easy, they are 98% plug and play. And while that mean less work I don't believe it makes it better for all. I asked a couple/few drivers yesterday why they didn't like the QTS tire and none of them could give me a quantifiable reason why they didn't like it. Keep in mind I'm only using the QTS tire as an example because it seems to cause the majority of racers to have a knee jerk reaction when you mention it. With that being said I believe the issue is that because it has a different feel on the track than a Sorex tire it's assumed to be a inferior tire. I say this because that's how I used to feel too about it but in reality this is the case with almost all things we experience in life when we step out of our comfort zone but the end result is that we learn and adapt. There are (4) tires that are viable options (in no particular order) Gravity, Jaco, Solaris and Sweep. Unless we could get a really good deal from the factory, I don't see Ride being a viable option.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

I am not an active member of the TQ community but in the touring racing I have done I found the Sweep QTS tires to be quite acceptable. No, they're not as fast as a Sorex, but they gave consistent grip and matched the conditions at TQ pretty well, in my opinion.

I have experience with two varieties of Gravity spec tires: Last years Mile High and last years IIC, and those were two very different tires. If the IIC tires are the standard, they will have good grip but only nine runs (only five minutes each) of 17.5 wore them dead. I did like the Gravity rim though, nice and true.

It is my opinion that all touring car racing should be spec tire unless the tires are foam. I feel it makes the racing better.

Funny thought: If Sportsman is 17.5 and Expert is 13.5, what does that make Modified? Legend?... Hero?... Master?... Broken?
Old 03-06-2015, 02:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I've run on 2 sets of the QTS tires
Both purchased at TQ a month apart

Set one was great 30+ runs
Set two, were awful, slip & slide

Two sets of RIDE were as good or better performance as QTS, also from TQ

Have not run yet on new Jaco Blue

Would be cool to have a good spoked Wheel spec setup to run across all classes

Less grip, less wear ok, so long as price and consistency are good

No spec tire for TC keeps me from taking this class serious
Old 03-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Sean already announced that it will be spec tires for 13.5 next season....

I'm just hoping to do better next round and actually make it to more races...

Im guessing the series finals will be packed......
Old 03-06-2015, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
... I asked a couple/few drivers yesterday why they didn't like the QTS tire and none of them could give me a quantifiable reason why they didn't like it. ...
I like the spec tire rule, and I'm not picky about which one.

I did have some things about the QTS that were bad:
1) I've bought 3 sets over time and on 2 of the sets, after hitting a board a wheels was badly deformed. I know, my bad for hitting a board, but I've never had that problem on any other wheels before.
2) On 2 sets, very early tire splitting between the flat and sidewalls - and not due to hitting the boards Traction was still good, not many runs (maybe 2 days worth), but the rubber was splitting.

Old Jaco's were very good; haven't tried the new ones. Good heavy duty spoked rims.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

I like RedBull's suggestion of a spoke wheel spec tire as I run the same set of tires one weekend on my 13.5 sedan and then the next weekend on my GT sedan (Tuning Haus or TQ race) so yes, it is convenient to be able to run the same brand tire / insert on the two different sedans. Another reason why I bring up why only a spec tire in sedan ? Why not the other classes ? GT sedan, 12th scale or F1 ?

Issue I have seen / heard on the Sweep's is inconsistency in batches and lack of grip compared to others. Maybe I like the Sorex because I run 3-4 different cars on a regular basis (F1, GT sedan, 13.5 sedan and 12th scale). I know how the Sorex work on my car and what to do to get them to work. I regularly get 20+ runs on my Sorex and when the death groove or cord appears, time to toss them.

Panda

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.