R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   California Racing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/california-racing-145/)
-   -   Possible new track in Azusa/SGV (https://www.rctech.net/forum/california-racing/328185-possible-new-track-azusa-sgv.html)

ShadyJC 09-16-2009 03:08 PM

Possible new track in Azusa/SGV

On a whim, I emailed the commissioner of the Parks & Rec department in Azusa (where I live) about building a RC track at one of the city parks. We already have a number of facilities for more obscure (i.e. not baseball/basketball/tennis) activities, like a skate park and frisbee golf course, among other things.

His response to me - "I just saw a 4x4 RC race in Idaho a few weeks ago, very interesting stuff", and then invited me to set up a time to meet with himself and two of the Parks & Rec superintendents.

The model I would look to emulate is the Freedom Park track in Camarillo - the city/county owns the land and funds the construction, but the regular maintenance is handled by a local club (www.roadrunnersrc.com)

So - I am looking to gauge interest if others would be interested in a public RC track in the Azusa area - and to form/join a club that would be responsible for holding events and for maintaining the track.

Any interest?

8ight-racer 09-16-2009 08:09 PM

Having a rc track in a park is great-most of the time.
No water bill
No electric bill

But, if the city owns the land then you will have to do exactly what they want, or else you simply wont get the land. If the city would fund the construction, that would be great. With the track I am reopening, the city doesnt want to pay a cent for the track in any way.

From talking with some people in the Parks and Rec department, they like the idea of a RC track as it is something new and not known to alot of people. If the track goes foward, the city might want you to make the track ADA (Americans with Disability Act) compliant. From researching around, I have found that bigger cities enforce ADA, while smaller cities on park land dont enforce it. Lucky me, the city that owns the land enforce's it to the letter.

Someone who owns a track will give you a better answer, but this is what I have found from about 5+ months researching from trying to start my track.

The more tracks the better as it exposes more people into the hobby.

BanzaiMom 09-16-2009 08:24 PM

We are right next door in Glendora. Would be GREAT

to have a track close to us. Do you live in Azusa??

Which park are you thinking of using??

ShadyJC 09-17-2009 07:01 AM

8ight-racer -- thanks for thoughts, they are very useful. The thought of ADA doesn't bother me so much, as for one, I believe it is a good thing, but to build accessible ramps to the drivers stand and around the facility would be a minor issue to plan around.

BanzaiMom -- yes, I live in Azusa... was thinking of proposing Northside Park (off 11th) or Memorial (off 4th). Maybe you could write to your Parks & Rec group in Glendora as well.

Only 2 comments? Nobody is interested in the construction of a new, free, public R/C track?!?

timmig 09-17-2009 08:38 AM

The more RC Parks we have in public venue's --like skate parks--the more they will be accepted. It would be awsome if it would include 1/5 scale cars as well as long as they have MUFFLERS!! No open pipes!!
I'm trying to work with the City of Aliso Viejo on an onroad track. But that's another story.
Keep up your good work.
Tim

marvin2.5s 09-17-2009 10:20 AM

Yeah an onroad track like roadrunners in camarillo would be cool.:nod:

Old Tech 09-17-2009 01:17 PM

Hopefully charlie_b will chime in with his thoughts, but if not drop him a PM and pick his brain a little.

stitchy 09-17-2009 05:05 PM

subscribed. good luck!

chonchachencho 09-18-2009 10:10 PM

If only there were a RC enthusiast on the counsel..

the park would be amazing!

Good Luck!!!

greymachine 09-20-2009 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by ShadyJC (Post 6357487)
8ight-racer -- thanks for thoughts, they are very useful. The thought of ADA doesn't bother me so much, as for one, I believe it is a good thing, but to build accessible ramps to the drivers stand and around the facility would be a minor issue to plan around.

BanzaiMom -- yes, I live in Azusa... was thinking of proposing Northside Park (off 11th) or Memorial (off 4th). Maybe you could write to your Parks & Rec group in Glendora as well.

Only 2 comments? Nobody is interested in the construction of a new, free, public R/C track?!?

As someone who's been recently re-addicted to rc racing, I'd be VERY interested, especially if it's a permanent on-road asphalt track. Keep us posted.

dongenserv 09-29-2009 08:46 PM

is this going to be an onroad or offroad?

ShadyJC 10-03-2009 09:19 PM

Quick update... Parks Commissioner and I keep missing each other's calls. Hopefully we'll be able to have a conversation this week.

Personally my preference is for off-road, but my goal is ask for construction of both an on-road and an off-road track.

z50king 10-05-2009 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by ShadyJC (Post 6425415)
Personally my preference is for off-road, but my goal is ask for construction of both an on-road and an off-road track.

Azusa seems like a good town to do this in, unlike Pomona or Ontario where the place woud be regularly vandaized. I would assume you would only get permits to run electric cars in azusa, especially in a park setting.

It sounds like a good idea. I'd like to keep reading. I'd like offroad 10 scale track

ShadyJC 10-07-2009 10:09 PM

Quick minor update... meeting with the city on Tuesday to discuss.

rustong 10-07-2009 11:25 PM

I'm all for it since I live in Azusa also.