Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > California Racing
West Coast R/C Raceway & Hobby Garage In So. Cali! >

West Coast R/C Raceway & Hobby Garage In So. Cali!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

West Coast R/C Raceway & Hobby Garage In So. Cali!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 203 votes, 2.39 average.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edseb
I never said you were wrong, just wanted to know where it came from and how you arrived at it. I've heard some say they like t-plate cars on asphalt since with the t-plate it moves the nimh batteries out and creates more body roll and increases traction. You said t-plate vs. link for rough asphalt, but I've never heard that so wanted to know why. And why all the hostility? You mentioned East Coast racer, but I know many too and I've never heard any one of them say anything like that (not to say they wouldn't). So far you've given advice but no explanation. I wanted a reason behind your argument, but maybe now I don't.
I don't like the way you asked, if that is the way you ask. I think your inference is still the same, and again your very learned opinion has been withheld?

So you would recommend a high maintenance, mega adjustable link car to a first time 12th scale guy? Not me. I would much rather drive than work on my car when I get to the track.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

edseb and balistic, due to the drama that took place last week the West Coast thread is on the radar of the mods and they have threatened to shut our thread down if we do not stay on topic.

While I enjoy a good debate I am afraid that if this continues they will follow through with their promise

If you two would like to continue this discussion I ask that you please take it to PM, email or start a new thread.

Thank you.

P.S. I look forward to meeting each of you when West Coast opens again.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Will do.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ckaspar
edseb and balistic, due to the drama that took place last week the West Coast thread is on the radar of the mods and they have threatened to shut our thread down if we do not stay on topic.

While I enjoy a good debate I am afraid that if this continues they will follow through with their promise

If you two would like to continue this discussion I ask that you please take it to PM, email or start a new thread.

Thank you.

P.S. I look forward to meeting each of you when West Coast opens again.
My humble apologies, I don't want that dubious honor.

On point, is there a list of classes you intend to run? I didn't get an answer to weather 12th scale was on the agenda?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

edseb and balistic, thank you both of you for your understanding.

balistic, we basically have a "run what you brung" policy. Before we closed there was starting to get a big push to get 1/12 running. A few guys that would come regularly wanted to start organizing and racing. Our Offroad Race Director just recently got himself setup with one. I also saw a few around the pits.

I think it comes down to the racers sort of organizing themselves. Let me elaborate. I have run mostly Offroad. With Offroad there is basically 5 classes (truck, buggy, 4 wheel, 1/8 and SC/Slash). Those classes get broken up by the drivers perception of their skill(Beginner, Amateur, Sportsman, Expert).

If we don't have enough people to fill a class we would put "like" drivers and skill sets into one race and run it that way.

With Onroad it gets even more difficult because of the number of classes and skill set differences.

RCGT, 17.5 Sedan, 13.5 Sedan, F1, 1/12, Mini. With each of those classes comes a skill set as well but because the speeds are so different and the cars are so different it makes it hard to put them in a mish mash class. Some drivers will be lapping other drivers every other lap some drivers will be pulling over every other lap. Not much fun for either party. It is difficult for us to determine how many of what class is going to show up on a given night and if only 1 1/12 shows up then there is no real place to put them.

It gets even more complicated when we include skill sets into the mix. Having an Amateur RCGT guy run with an Expert can be discouraging for the amateur. My second time racing my JL10 I was racing with Jeffrey Lin. He was lapping me left and right. I did not get discouraged because I understood the playing field was not level and I was just running my own race but others may not look at it that way and get upset that they are getting walloped by everyone else.

My suggestion, yes all of that up there has a point, is for racers to organize themselves as best they can so they can build themselves a class to race with. In my mind nothing is more fun than racing with a bunch of friends. Once we open we will do whatever we can to get "like racers' in touch with each other so you guys can organize a race/practice day where everyone can be at the same place on the same day and run the same class, skill set (and tires in some cases) so everyone can have fun without the stress of wondering if there will be a class for your car that night. You will know who will be there, you can even carpool to save gas money and to become better friends.

Before we shut down I created a schedule on our website where people can go and "early register" for a race day to help people get organized. Once we open I plan to open that back up so you guys can use it and plan your race/practice days.

I am sure that was more than what you were looking for but those are my thoughts.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

balistic, we basically have a "run what you brung" policy. Before we closed there was starting to get a big push to get 1/12 running. A few guys that would come regularly wanted to start organizing and racing. Our Offroad Race Director just recently got himself setup with one. I also saw a few around the pits.

I think it comes down to the racers sort of organizing themselves. Let me elaborate. I have run mostly Offroad. With Offroad there is basically 5 classes (truck, buggy, 4 wheel, 1/8 and SC/Slash). Those classes get broken up by the drivers perception of their skill(Beginner, Amateur, Sportsman, Expert).

If we don't have enough people to fill a class we would put "like" drivers and skill sets into one race and run it that way.

With Onroad it gets even more difficult because of the number of classes and skill set differences.

RCGT, 17.5 Sedan, 13.5 Sedan, F1, 1/12, Mini. With each of those classes comes a skill set as well but because the speeds are so different and the cars are so different it makes it hard to put them in a mish mash class. Some drivers will be lapping other drivers every other lap some drivers will be pulling over every other lap. Not much fun for either party. It is difficult for us to determine how many of what class is going to show up on a given night and if only 1 1/12 shows up then there is no real place to put them.

It gets even more complicated when we include skill sets into the mix. Having an Amateur RCGT guy run with an Expert can be discouraging for the amateur. My second time racing my JL10 I was racing with Jeffrey Lin. He was lapping me left and right. I did not get discouraged because I understood the playing field was not level and I was just running my own race but others may not look at it that way and get upset that they are getting walloped by everyone else.

My suggestion, yes all of that up there has a point, is for racers to organize themselves as best they can so they can build themselves a class to race with. In my mind nothing is more fun than racing with a bunch of friends. Once we open we will do whatever we can to get "like racers' in touch with each other so you guys can organize a race/practice day where everyone can be at the same place on the same day and run the same class, skill set (and tires in some cases) so everyone can have fun without the stress of wondering if there will be a class for your car that night. You will know who will be there, you can even carpool to save gas money and to become better friends.

Before we shut down I created a schedule on our website where people can go and "early register" for a race day to help people get organized. Once we open I plan to open that back up so you guys can use it and plan your race/practice days.

I am sure that was more than what you were looking for but those are my thoughts.
13.5 1/12th scale seems to be the popular class in So California, so my guess is that is what most racers will expecting to run. So far 4 cell nimh and single cell lipo is showing very similar lap times so we've been racing them together. For Sedan, 13.5 seems to be very popular too with it broken down in to sportsmen and expert.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Yes and no. I guess I will wait and see what happens when your running. I am just looking forward to running inside on a big track and getting some time on my cars. I will run whatever there is.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 12th scale

Originally Posted by balistic
Yes and no. I guess I will wait and see what happens when your running. I am just looking forward to running inside on a big track and getting some time on my cars. I will run whatever there is.
I ran my CRC genX at West Coast and it ran well. I ran Jaco Blacks up front and Jaco Yellows in the rear and it seemed to hook up pretty nice. Once the track opens up again, I'll be able to test more but 13.5 w/ lipo seems to be a popular combo.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Bump
Old 09-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GTRtuned
I ran my CRC genX at West Coast and it ran well. I ran Jaco Blacks up front and Jaco Yellows in the rear and it seemed to hook up pretty nice. Once the track opens up again, I'll be able to test more but 13.5 w/ lipo seems to be a popular combo.
I have only run it on tight carpet with 27T & 4 cell at 24/92, it was a rocket on that little track but was only hitting 23mph. I think not enough for west coast.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Drifting

I have never done drifting and don't know anything about it but I assume slick is good. Danny and Chris, what about the normal floor? It is super slick and may be a surface that is perfect. Maybe move a pit table or 2 or use the storage when it is free.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Crawling

How about a crawling area???
Old 09-06-2009, 02:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

what did a day of practice cost when you were open? do you require a membership? im new and interested
Old 09-06-2009, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

$10 dollars, and there is no membership fee
Old 09-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by toybreaker
I have never done drifting and don't know anything about it but I assume slick is good. Danny and Chris, what about the normal floor? It is super slick and may be a surface that is perfect. Maybe move a pit table or 2 or use the storage when it is free.
I have run my car for hours on polished concrete with the HPI hard rubber tire, perfect!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 203 votes, 2.39 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.