Search
Like Tree14Likes

Indoor On-Road rc track in Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 08:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Indoor On-Road rc track in Los Angeles

I’ve been thinking about opening an On-Road indoor racetrack in the Los angels area, Van Nuys to be exact. I have a track in a 7200 square foot underground parking structure. Surface is swept concrete, I’m going to find the right tire compound or treat the track with an adhesive track compound. I want to make it as easy to get the right tire set up as possible, don’t want racers to have to sauce tires or burn off carpet between runs. Eventually will have a small supply of wheels, tires, parts and kits for retail purchase on site. There aren’t any full time rc tracks currently in Los Angeles and I think it could be a good idea.
over gear likes this.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:27 PM
Tech Champion

Don't forget that you have to vacuum up the marbles extremely often on indoor pavement. And pavement is best in the sun. Running infrared heaters and racing naked doesn't sound like my cup of tea. West coasters might feel ok about that.

Elevated on wood, carpet tracks are by far the best option indoors. The most consistent way to treat a concrete surface for good grip and good quality racing, is to apply carpet to it.
Indoor Asphalt vs. Indoor Carpet

Need input on track surface options.
THEBIGBULL and RacerG37 like this.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 11-20-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

hers is ours its coated concrete we usually use Solaris 36's traction is usually medium
Joe Maxey, Brian10811 and RacerG37 like this.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm interested!
Old 11-21-2019, 08:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default What did you coat your concrete with?

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
hers is ours its coated concrete we usually use Solaris 36's traction is usually medium
I’m trying to find the least expensive way to get the track open and generating income for later improvements. I am leaning towards smooth tarmac/asphalt in the future when I can afford. Your track looks great. I’m going to go with an overall coating so I can change the track set up easily. Seems that everyone out here flocks to the track with a new set up. I am planning on new track set up on Wednesday with races on Saturday. Also want to be able to do oval track Sunday for pan car/oval track racers that can only race once a month currently at the local velodrome. Thank you for the information! I’ll take all that I can get.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Hit me on insta la_rc_underground

Originally Posted by lightmaat
I'm interested!
I’ll be at the track next week. Find me on insta and I’ll DM you the location and a time to meet. You can bring friends, the more the merrier. As I said before it’s in the beginning stages and needs work, will be a “private invitation” only as of now. Not ready for public opening. I just need to see if there will be enough people interested in coming here to operate a business.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RacerG37

I’m trying to find the least expensive way to get the track open and generating income for later improvements. I am leaning towards smooth tarmac/asphalt in the future when I can afford. Your track looks great. I’m going to go with an overall coating so I can change the track set up easily. Seems that everyone out here flocks to the track with a new set up. I am planning on new track set up on Wednesday with races on Saturday. Also want to be able to do oval track Sunday for pan car/oval track racers that can only race once a month currently at the local velodrome. Thank you for the information! I’ll take all that I can get.

if i recal the owner pays like $70 per 5 gallons for the coating , he coats it maybe 2-3 times a year depending on the wear, he holds car shows on there once a month
RacerG37 likes this.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I'm in the Los Angeles area and i would be interested for sure. There are not many places to race on road in the los angeles area and since TQ is closing down there are zero indoor on road tracks.
photeckk and RacerG37 like this.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

riceball777 hit me on insta la_rc_underground. I’ll be there all next week working on the track.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Went to the track yesterday to practice. Sweep the surface good and sprayed a light layer of orange soda down, let it dry for 20 min. What a difference in the amount of traction. Lap times were definitely faster and cornering was a dream. Ran my Hopped up 4Tec with HW4.5 motor on stock traxxas response tires and it was hooking up in every corner. And the best part is that it only cost me $1.50 for a 2 liter bottle, and I still have have a bottle left over for tomorrow. I’ll post vids soon.

Now on to the discussion about pvc rails, I’m currently using 1.5” pvc for my barriers. What are you guys using? I’m trying to stay away from 2x4, pvc is a bit more forgiving on my expensive TC and F1 cars. Any suggestions? Thank you all for the info!!
Old 11-28-2019, 03:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sorry not the best videos and pardon the rough look of the track.
Here is a video without any traction compound
Here’s one with a better sweep and a light layer of Orange Crush Soda
ebohon likes this.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

I’m subscribing to this thread for track updates. Are you looking to make this a permanent location with driver stand, power, tables, etc... or bring your own? I’m looking for new indoor track with my local track now closed ... TQ.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
Waaait... Is that SS Hobbies raceway?! I’ve seen it on YouTube!

Anyway, sorry for going OT - For the OP one thing you’ll definitely need to have at the ready is dedicated pit space. Looking at the second video in your post above, it looks like you have some room to the left, but just make sure that if you start to grow, you end up not sacrificing track size to make room for more racers... Speaking of which, it looks like you have ample room to get a little more technical in the infield, thanks to it being quite a bit wide in that hairpin section. Good luck on the new venture! Quite frankly, I’m shocked about the lack of on road in that area, but then again, it seems like on road isn’t the monster it used to be. Off road always has been, and probably will always be more popular I suppose. And yes, this is coming from an OG pan car guy.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Update

Sorry been busy working. I am going to have some open practice soon. Looking for driver feedback. I’ll have generator power, bathrooms and air compressor on site. There will be 2 tracks set up full time as well as a crawler zone. I’m open for any and all suggestions and help with set up and designs. Please feel free to PM me and we can talk more in detail. Also starting to talk to other race directors for some advice. I want to do it right so that everyone who comes out has a great experience and most of all, a good time racing, practicing and crawling. As of now I’m still in the early stage but will be putting in work to get ready for public opening ASAP. Thanks for your help.
-Sean
Old 02-20-2020, 05:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RacerG37
There will be 2 tracks set up full time as well as a crawler zone.
2 tracks! got pix?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.