Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > For Sale/Trade Forums > Buyer/Seller dispute and discussion forum
Friends and family paymens and Shipping Insurance >

Friends and family paymens and Shipping Insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Friends and family paymens and Shipping Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 06:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Lightbulb Friends and family paymens and Shipping Insurance

ALL,

Friends and Family:
There are rules in place that state that if you ask a buyer to send a payment as friends and family it will get you in some serious bad mojo with the mods. I have had a couple sellers ask me for friends and family payments fairly recently. (one newer seller and one with quite a few trade ratings) I am not here to call anyone out specifically, but please go read the rules if you plan to continue to sell before you meet the ban hammer of the mods.

Shipping Insurance:
Sellers please be aware that shipping insurance is there to protect "you" against the incompetence of various carriers (USPS UPS FEDEX ETC...) It is not the buyers responsibility. If a package arrives to a buyer that is damaged with damaged contents, and not insured, it will be sent back to you. PayPal will always side with the buyer in this situation as this is part of their buyers protection. It is the "sellers" responsibility to make sure that the item they sell arrives in the condition it was sold.

Thanks for your time. =)
Old 12-08-2016, 06:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Asking for the buyer to cover the paypal fee is against paypals rules as well.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by whitrzac
Asking for the buyer to cover the paypal fee is against paypals rules as well.
You are correct Sir. I forgot to add that.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bwillenb
ALL,

Friends and Family:
There are rules in place that state that if you ask a buyer to send a payment as friends and family it will get you in some serious bad mojo with the mods. I have had a couple sellers ask me for friends and family payments fairly recently. (one newer seller and one with quite a few trade ratings) I am not here to call anyone out specifically, but please go read the rules if you plan to continue to sell before you meet the ban hammer of the mods.

Shipping Insurance:
Sellers please be aware that shipping insurance is there to protect "you" against the incompetence of various carriers (USPS UPS FEDEX ETC...) It is not the buyers responsibility. If a package arrives to a buyer that is damaged with damaged contents, and not insured, it will be sent back to you. PayPal will always side with the buyer in this situation as this is part of their buyers protection. It is the "sellers" responsibility to make sure that the item they sell arrives in the condition it was sold.

Thanks for your time. =)
But have you reported them??? You'll create a thread bringing up the issue but you're not willing to report those who break the rules You're either willing to take a position and stand up against the practice or you're not.

I appreciate you bringing up the subject..BUT, I would liken you to a person promoting PETA, while eating a juicy steak.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by racer1812
But have you reported them??? You'll create a thread bringing up the issue but you're not willing to report those who break the rules You're either willing to take a position and stand up against the practice or you're not.

I appreciate you bringing up the subject..BUT, I would liken you to a person promoting PETA, while eating a juicy steak.

Sorry bud was not trying to offend, was more of a warning to the offenders to hopefully get them to read the rules, I generally do not report a first time offender, I just will not do business with them again....but not everyone is as forgiving as me....

PETA? People Eating Tasty Animals? Yes please more bacon!
I would liken myself more like SpiderMan....

Everybody gets one....

Either way happy to shut my mouth.
If anyone needs me I will be in my corner.
Attached Thumbnails Friends and family paymens and Shipping Insurance-hqdefault-8-.jpg  
Old 12-10-2016, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Sorry bud was not trying to offend, was more of a warning to the offenders to hopefully get them to read the rules, I generally do not report a first time offender, I just will not do business with them again....but not everyone is as forgiving as me....
But....The odds are pretty good that they've read the rules and that's why their asking you via PM. They're just hoping that your desire to buy the item is high enough that you won't report them and walk away from the purchase.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

I've reported several posts asking for gift payments. Every one I recall was quickly taken care of too. I don't feel as though I'm being a rat. It's clearly stated in the rules, but even more than that, people asking for gift payments just screams "bad news" IMO. There's no reason for it. Just adjust your price accordingly to compensate for shipping expenses. If you can't get the amount you need like that, just give up on trying to sell it.

I'll also go ahead and tell on myself. It's been many years ago. I don't think the gift payment was officially against the rules. Regardless, I want to share my experience as to why I did it.

I had a transponder for sale. As I'm sure we're all aware, transponders have no issue selling immediately. Anyway, had a guy PM me with paypal ready. Gave him my info and he sent payment. I hadn't asked for gift payment at that point.
When I checked my PayPal, his payment went through, but his account was not "verified". That's a whole other issue with paypal scams that I'm sure most people are aware of. I explained to the buyer that I would not ship to a non-confirmed address. The only option I saw to cover myself was to refund him and have him resend payment as gift. I left it up to him and he resent the payment and we both lived happily ever after.

I realize that I could have just refunded him and moved on to the next potential buyer in line. But I figured I would throw the option out there before moving on.

I guess my point in turning myself in is to get some insight from the community on my options in that situation. Was there a better way that I could have went about that transaction, considering the circumstances?
Old 12-11-2016, 04:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by racer1812
But....The odds are pretty good that they've read the rules and that's why their asking you via PM. They're just hoping that your desire to buy the item is high enough that you won't report them and walk away from the purchase.
Fair enough. I will be less lenient in the future.

I am still trying to comprehend (scammers aside) why anyone would ask for this payment? Most sales here are $50.00-$100.00, that is a PayPal fee of ~$1.50-$3.00. Are peoples profit margins just that small?

As a buyer and seller I understand the fees can add up quickly, and have on occasion added an extra $1-2 to help with the fees when buying. (whats one less doughnut tomorrow when I can have a happy seller that might pack better today) But only when someone is professional with their sale and does not spend 15 messages wining to me about PayPal fees and how much shipping will cost etc etc...
Old 12-11-2016, 07:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Fair enough. I will be less lenient in the future.

I am still trying to comprehend (scammers aside) why anyone would ask for this payment? Most sales here are $50.00-$100.00, that is a PayPal fee of ~$1.50-$3.00. Are peoples profit margins just that small?

As a buyer and seller I understand the fees can add up quickly, and have on occasion added an extra $1-2 to help with the fees when buying. (whats one less doughnut tomorrow when I can have a happy seller that might pack better today) But only when someone is professional with their sale and does not spend 15 messages wining to me about PayPal fees and how much shipping will cost etc etc...
I think a lot of times, some people become greedy, and those 3$ make their sale price look meager, lol. Also as for the scammers, yeah its one way to make the refund or return process harder, should they be hiding a flawed product or try to be sheisty.

Its a hobby, when I buy from here, I always in the back of my mind, am already ordering common replacement parts, or spares. The little fee that is to be paid is a non issue, and for the most part, I like to have insurance. Not just for myself but the other party. Like when shipping international, once it leaves US Soil its hard to track on your part. But there is the buyer / seller protection. I always add insurance to what I have sold, so I am covered if there is a loss, and the buyer is covered via paypal with a refund.

I think it just boils down to being greedy, and that they believe their car is worth every penny at top dollar.

Those that take good care of their cars and gear for the most part on here are normally not the ones complaining! And usually they also are good communicators, which can't be said for those that sell and then if there is an issue, never reply or get really defensive instead of making it right.

I think if you had to be an annually paying member to post in BST on RCtech, a lot of those whiners would fade away!!!