R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > For Sale/Trade Forums > Buyer/Seller dispute and Feedback discussion forum

Old 10-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Angry PO'ed trader!

I recently traded a viper vtx-10 speedo and programmer for a novak havoc pro sc speedo. I received it Friday put the speedo in my truck and headed to the track. As I plugged the battery into the speed control it immediately started smoking and got extremly hot...I pulled the plug as quick as possible but the speedo is fried and so is my battery. Is there anything I can do or am I sol?
- SC10 4x4 - LRP SXX TC SPEC V2 - X 12L 4.5 - JR - SPEKTRUM - J CONCEPTS
- SC10 - VIPER VTX10 - VST 8.5 -JR - SPEKTRUM - JCONCEPTS
Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #2

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns View Post
I recently traded a viper vtx-10 speedo and programmer for a novak havoc pro sc speedo. I received it Friday put the speedo in my truck and headed to the track. As I plugged the battery into the speed control it immediately started smoking and got extremly hot...I pulled the plug as quick as possible but the speedo is fried and so is my battery. Is there anything I can do or am I sol?
First off are you positive you didn't plug the lipo in wrong? If you didn't and it just smoked for no apparent reason have you tried contacting the other party involved in the trade? But to tell the truth not really much you can do, if the other party says it was working fine its hard to prove if it was or wasn't and that it wasn't done due to your fault or a bad esc...... It may come down to your word against the other person involved.......
ilanstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #3

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Stranger things have happened, but if it was already fried, then it likely wouldn't have smoked again when you plugged it in.

www.hobbyplexraceway.com/
Ken's Graf/X's

Chris K: "They're challenging and 'different' in a different sorta' way! "
Deja Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
Tech Adept

I double checked that I had the wires hooked correctly and had the guy next to me check it as well. I have never seen anything of the sort and neither had the guys I race with. I tried to call the other party but no answer. It's a bum deal when you send a perfectly working speedo and get a bunk one in exchange.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Guns, i hate to say this, but you never know how electronics go. i'll use my lrp as an example. i was racing one night and everything ran like it should. one the last heat, i went to plug in the battery, and nothing....poof. BEC board went out. the esc was about 3 months old. you never know with anything electronic
Tran901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 356 (100%+)

Sounds like another crappy item ...and once again its a Novak. The worst part is that they wont even stand behind any of their stuff or look at it if you dont have a receipt or have bought it in the last 120 days. They will tell ya to send it in and pay them another 75 on top so you can get a crappy refurbished one. I bought a brand new one from a buddy who fried his but it was still under warranty.... They sent him a brand new one but he was disgusted and sold it to me still sealed in its box. I threw it in my tool box as a spare.I pulled it out about 8 months later when I finally need it and threw it in my car,it worked for one day and then quit. It still was brand new ,just passed the 120 day warranty but they did nothing for me. They never even responded to any of my emails...I had to call them and find out how lucky I was.Good luck...
Old 10-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
Tech Champion

And by the way....its not slander if its true. People expect better from an American speed control manufacturer who boasts that they make everything here in the US. Who cares where its made, if its crap...its crap.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
Tech Adept

This is the second novak havoc pro sc I have had issues with...the first one I ran in my 4x4 sc10 started on fire in a main. The cap exploded and I thought it might have been the battery I was running. I loved how it ran but wasnt pleased with the end result. After running a few LRP tc specs and having the bec issues and the heat in the sc10 4x4 and hearing.from friends that the x drive made the novak so much better I figured I would give it another shot. I traded this guy and I'm definitely paying for it now...
Old 10-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Quote:
This is the second novak havoc pro sc I have had issues with...the first one I ran in my 4x4 sc10 started on fire in a main. The cap exploded and I thought it might have been the battery I was running. I loved how it ran but wasnt pleased with the end result. After running a few LRP tc specs and having the bec issues and the heat in the sc10 4x4 and hearing.from friends that the x drive made the novak so much better I figured I would give it another shot. I traded this guy and I'm definitely paying for it now...
Same speedo I had exactly. Trust me .... its not us, they just stopped caring and put a blonde girl in charge of all warranty and service issues.In the past I was harsh on people who bashed Novak and scolded them for starting such threads ranting about Novak. Well I learned my lesson quick.Anybody wanna buy a Novak speedo for 20 bucks?It dont work but if you send it in and 75 bucks they will give ya replacement that may or may not work.Pay pal only!! PS their motors ,I must say have never given me any problems.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #10
Tech Adept

So now that I'm down to an lrp speedo what is your suggestions for a SC10 4x4...and what to say to the guy that sent me this pos
Old 10-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
So now that I'm down to an lrp speedo what is your suggestions for a SC10 4x4...and what to say to the guy that sent me this pos
believe it or not, I am using a speed passion GTlpf 2.O in my sc104x4 and it works great this will be the fourth weekend that I will be running it, the motor is a Teking 5.5 turn 550 can. I pulled the speedo out of my back up 2wd sc and it was even in stock''blinky'' mode. My other choice was to go back to my old sphere sxx . Hobby wing is by far a better choice and it will be my next purchase. I have a couple and they work great. I even sent one in to a company falconSekido for repairs after I cut the wire by mistake and they did what they had to do to get another speedo to me for a far cheaper price than Novak wants. I waited no longer than 2 weeks and they did not hound me for a receipt ....like we all steal speed controls or something.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #12

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Maybe see if the other party will do half on repair/ replacement cost. Used electronics are scary to me, I've bought used just to go up in smoke right away. Its just a gamble I no longer make.
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #13
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

One, I've never seen a speedo let the magic smoke out more than once. Possible but highly unlikely.

Two, if it had been smoked before you got it the smell would be unmistakeable.

I personally don't see the other party owing you anything to be honest, it's just the chance you take with used electronics. If he offers to help in some way I would be grateful.

Just can't beat crap luck sometimes.

IMO

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
One, I've never seen a speedo let the magic smoke out more than once. Possible but highly unlikely.

Two, if it had been smoked before you got it the smell would be unmistakeable.

I personally don't see the other party owing you anything to be honest, it's just the chance you take with used electronics. If he offers to help in some way I would be grateful.

Just can't beat crap luck sometimes.

IMO
I agree 100%.I don't think the other party is responsible for this.
I had a 2 Novak Havoc Sc speedo's do the same.Were working
fine,go to plug in for next round and poof.That's why I have stuck
with Viper since they came out.
Team STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

avoiding calls is clue #1. This day and age, everyone has their phone on them or close 90% of the time if not more.

Avoid one I understand, two.. ok.. after that I'ma just put a label it.
TZap is offline   Reply With Quote