Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BUYERS & SELLERS, Please Read....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Tech Regular

Default BUYERS & SELLERS, Please Read....

Hi everyone.

I just had an interesting e-mail from someone I was asking for pictures for an ad. Here is the basic question....

"Why do people act like they are gonna buy
something and then say they don't have any money??"

So this is how I responded.....

Well, I think it's an attempt at an inquiry, to see if they can find more information about a product. Once they see a photo, then they can make up their mind. If people really like what they see, they jump at the chance, if not, they will either look around or come back to fight another day...

For me, shipping and the exchange rate make it more prohibitive to send my way, so unless it is a screaming deal, buyers might want to wait until they see one.

Also, I had to replace the muffler on my car last week and this week my fan regulator quit, overheating my engine. So I am out $1000 for repairs. I don't think everyone who asks for information has car problems, you might want to ask them personally, to find out the reasons why they are not jumping at the advertisement.....

Asking for info is also a way to see how quickly and politely people respond, giving you a feel for the seller. If you get a good vibe, buyers are more apt to deal with that person. If the person cannot spell, use grammar or make sense, you might want to look somewhere else. As a teacher, I cringe when I see something horribly written...

SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK???????

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with asking for more information. Nobody is bound to anything and if people like what they see, they will probably jump at the chance to buy it.

If people had to buy stuff every time they looked at something, imagine what would happen to the concept of window shopping!!!

Now I understand people are busy and getting pics is sometimes difficult, but I see that as part of the job of being a seller.

How horrible would it be if people who worked in retail only dealt with people they THOUGHT would buy something?

For me, if I am unsure about buying something, I will say "feel free to sell it in the meantime" or "not exactly what I was looking for, good luck" or something to that effect....

Just wondering what your thoughts are...

Respectfully,

Dave

Last edited by F1Junkie; 06-21-2004 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

As a buyer and seller I feel the same way you do.I have no problem sending photos of what I'm selling and I also understand that photos dont tell the "whole story" so we must resort to other methods to get a feel for who,what and when on deals.So as a seller you might think of your self as a "great person"but the buyer does not know you(well most of the time)So if the buyer does the 20 questions with me it's no big deal.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:36 PM
Tech Regular

Cool, I also had this thought...

RC stuff comes from extra income for most folks, so it's usually last priority in a long list of things, such as family, tuition, wife, husband, children, car payments, insurance, mortage, etc...

So even though we REALLY want something, other priorities come into play...
Old 06-21-2004, 06:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Sad but so true..
Old 06-21-2004, 07:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally posted by F1Junkie
Cool, I also had this thought...

RC stuff comes from extra income for most folks, so it's usually last priority in a long list of things, such as family, tuition, wife, husband, children, car payments, insurance, mortage, etc...

So even though we REALLY want something, other priorities come into play...
Unfortunatley my WANTS sometimes come before my NEEDS
Old 06-25-2004, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Info

No problem about pics to prospective buyers.Understandable.BUT,I would appreciate if I make the effort to provide pics,That the prospective buyer make an effort to respond.Either way,yes or no,especially no.Since sometimes there are multiple people interested in an item,it's not fair to not respond when you don't want the item you got a pic of.It could cause the seller to lose a sale to someone else who might want it.Thanks,Mario
Old 06-26-2004, 09:31 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

If I'm a seller I have no problems answering as many questions as necessary...afterall internet selling is not like the real thing...where you get to look and feel the actual product you are partly money for.

However, if it is not right for the buyer then I do appreicate a simply "No thank you" so I can move on and sell to someone else. There's nothing worse than "so when will he come back with an answer" situation. Using PM helps, because at least I know the guy has read my response.

In fact what hacks me off more is when someone PMs me with a question (technical....not selling related)....you spend time to answer him and them nothing.....no thank you.....no nothing! You then ask yourself....why did you bother??!!
Old 06-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: BUYERS & SELLERS, Please Read....

Originally posted by F1Junkie
Hi everyone.

I just had an interesting e-mail from someone I was asking for pictures for an ad. Here is the basic question....

"Why do people act like they are gonna buy
something and then say they don't have any money??"

So this is how I responded.....

Well, I think it's an attempt at an inquiry, to see if they can find more information about a product. Once they see a photo, then they can make up their mind. If people really like what they see, they jump at the chance, if not, they will either look around or come back to fight another day...

For me, shipping and the exchange rate make it more prohibitive to send my way, so unless it is a screaming deal, buyers might want to wait until they see one.

Also, I had to replace the muffler on my car last week and this week my fan regulator quit, overheating my engine. So I am out $1000 for repairs. I don't think everyone who asks for information has car problems, you might want to ask them personally, to find out the reasons why they are not jumping at the advertisement.....

Asking for info is also a way to see how quickly and politely people respond, giving you a feel for the seller. If you get a good vibe, buyers are more apt to deal with that person. If the person cannot spell, use grammar or make sense, you might want to look somewhere else. As a teacher, I cringe when I see something horribly written...

SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK???????

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with asking for more information. Nobody is bound to anything and if people like what they see, they will probably jump at the chance to buy it.

If people had to buy stuff every time they looked at something, imagine what would happen to the concept of window shopping!!!

Now I understand people are busy and getting pics is sometimes difficult, but I see that as part of the job of being a seller.

How horrible would it be if people who worked in retail only dealt with people they THOUGHT would buy something?

For me, if I am unsure about buying something, I will say "feel free to sell it in the meantime" or "not exactly what I was looking for, good luck" or something to that effect....

Just wondering what your thoughts are...

Respectfully,

Dave

I totally agree with what you just posted man.............
Old 07-27-2004, 05:35 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

A cold []0 and a ^5 for Dave! [wings are on their way]

Seriously though, well said!
Tom G