Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ban under age sellers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am underage buyer/seller/trader, but i have done ALOT of business here, and have nothing but good transactions. I would hate it if they banned underaged seller.
I think people should just be more careful.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Lightbulb great idea...

I like Dirtfreak15's idea. Maybe there should be a "middle man" who would receive both items. Once received, ship them out to the other parties. I was pondering that idea too. Hmm, maybe a new business..?? Good luck on trading everybody!

Anthony
Old 04-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

this would make it uber long for the packages to be recieved plus the cost of shipping would be more. Not sure if people would be willing to pay the premium.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

I think it all goes back to the persons feedback. if they have good feedback than they are trustworthy. Im not saying all the time though.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by mikep
If your not a responsible person then I think that you shouldn't be alouded to be on the sight at all .......I have been craped on by younger guys that are not responsible at all by no means what so ever....
oh mikep,
just remember all the fun times you had with brett booker wasent it fun!?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

interesting thread.

The only thing I can suggest is that if you are unsure of the condition of what you will receive regardless of age and you have great feedback on you, request that they send the item first for you to inspect, if you like, send your money / item out, if not, send it back to them and reimburse them for there shipping cost.

This is how we did it in the really late 90s, and there were times I was out some shipping money but I had my piece of mind as well.

As for banning kids outright, I would say that if you can't legally enter into a contract with a kid in the first place, shoud they really be allowed to sell anyway? Seems to me that there parents need to be the ones who are selling in care of there kid and ultimately they are on the hook.

When I had deals go bad with kids, I would call the home and the parents / guardian would mostly not know what is going on.

what would be interesting is if you could have a DB compiled with all the bad trades done, and organize them by age of the bad seller / trader. I wonder how it would turn out.

I personally would like to see this forum sectio divided into good traders and bad traders. Would make it easier to see who is good and who is bad.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Im 17, I have sold/bought over eBay and RCTECH. If I sell anything on either, I ship the item the next day after recieving payment. I believe that underage shouldnt be banned because here I get rid of all the stuff that I dont want or dont need anymore. I always check feedback on the seller before doing any transaction. That being Trader Feedback or eBay feedback.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:39 PM

here's my 2 cents.. Im only 13 and im turning 14 in a week...... but, I have made many transactions through various forums and have great feedback. Like many others have said, it's really easy to lie about your age, and not all kids are the same. On a lot of boards I get put down a lot because I'm 13. I always give helpful information and pictures, but there are still a few arrogant jerk out there that dont like younger people. But the truth to this is, that our (my) generation is the newer and better one in terms of r/c, ok, we are a little bad and wild, but that's what we do, we're teens that have fun. I have been in r/c for long time and know from experience not to give up. I was looked down on and discouraged from local racers because I didnt know very much.... now it's different. I know about almost all the cars out there and I own a ton of them. to make a long story short, I am opposed to the motion to bann all underage users from posting in the b/s/t forums....like I said earlier... the future of r/c is nothing with out us "underage" users

Thanks,
-Sef (thebuggymann) Hafez-
Old 07-18-2005, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

I'm only 14 and I've made many sucessful transactions with many people on this forum, and asking proof of age would make it more difficult for everyone to buy/sell/trade.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:46 AM
Tech Master

Why is everyone so negative towards younger people? Theres no respect for us these days, none at all.I try to be friendly towards older people but i still don't get the respect i would like.There are only a few out there that do.

Respect is a big thing for me.

I think 16-19 year olds would know how to make a transaction and use the buy/sell forum appropriately.I have never dealt with a 13 year old before so i can't comment, sorry.

Sean
Old 07-19-2005, 05:51 PM

Well, I think the whole Idea should be dropped. If you haven't delt with a young'n like me, then you really can't comment.. this is all a stereotype that is in most of your ignorant minds....

Last edited by Thebuggymann; 07-21-2005 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Riketsu
Im 17, I have sold/bought over eBay and RCTECH. If I sell anything on either, I ship the item the next day after recieving payment. I believe that underage shouldnt be banned because here I get rid of all the stuff that I dont want or dont need anymore. I always check feedback on the seller before doing any transaction. That being Trader Feedback or eBay feedback.
I came across this thread by accident, but thought I'd throw my $.02 out there since I'm a lawyer (sorry ). First, I'll point out that eBay requires that all users be 18 or older (see their User Agreement at
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...greement.html), as does PayPal. Every on-line merchant should have a user agreement requiring a purchaser to be at least 18, like this one: http://www.esquiresports.com/custom/agreement.cfm

This is NOT NOT NOT because I or businesses dislike young people or find them to be untrustworthy. It is because, under the law, a person under the age of 18 generally lacks the ability to enter into a binding contract. If fact, if you are under the age of 18 (interesting side note that will annoy most people under 18: if you are under 18, the law refers to you as an "infant"), you will usually be allowed to avoid a contract that you entered into at ANY TIME up until a reasonable time after reaching the age of majority (18). The exceptions to this rule tend to be narrow.

Think about how powerful that potentially is!
Old 07-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

i dont deal ebay because i dont trust it at all. with these for sale trade forums its about the respect of the hobby and of the buyer or seller. A mutual trust. like as alot of people said earlier anyone can rip you off being 14 or 40. imo
Old 07-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey im 17 and i have paypal but its under my parents name but the money is comming out of my bank account so does that mean i can't buy stuff from you guys that are over 21? thats not right. You just need to see most "kids" that are 17+ have there own bank account. So you should just use paypal on rctech.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:19 PM
Tech Adept

You can buy from anyone willing to sell to you, and vice versa. I've sold items to people under 18 and lived with the chance that they might want to undo the deal later (which to their credit they never have).

Remember, people UNDER 18 have the upper hand in all of this, not people over 18.