Wiki Posts
Search

Would you leave negative if...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Default Would you leave negative if...

I purchased a set of wheels and tires for the seller's asking price of "$35 shipped". He made an great effort to ship the same day but paid USPS postage for a "Small Flat Rate Box" but used a standard sized Priority box. End result was I got the item quickly but ended up having to pay an extra $5.40 postage due. I have tried to contact the seller on two different forums but have not gotten a response in two days. Does the seller's in-action and lack of reply warrant a negative? Maybe a neutral?? I know this is only over $5 bucks but he did not meet his end of the agreement and now does not bother to reply.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rice_man
I purchased a set of wheels and tires for the seller's asking price of "$35 shipped". He made an great effort to ship the same day but paid USPS postage for a "Small Flat Rate Box" but used a standard sized Priority box. End result was I got the item quickly but ended up having to pay an extra $5.40 postage due. I have tried to contact the seller on two different forums but have not gotten a response in two days. Does the seller's in-action and lack of reply warrant a negative? Maybe a neutral?? I know this is only over $5 bucks but he did not meet his end of the agreement and now does not bother to reply.
This is caused by folks printing their own postage but using inappropriate supplies. I've had a couple folks pay for Parcel Post or 1st Class but use a Priority box so it arrives "postage due". One of them had even covered ALMOST all the "Priority" markings. In both cases the sellers paid up.

Take a picture of the packaging (that includes his return addy so there's no doubt) and a picture of the "Postage Due" label and a picture (or scan) of the receipt. This all backs up your story. THEN contact him with a polite note indicating how you can see how easily a mistake like that can be made but here are the pics documenting that it arrived "Postage Due". If he doesn't do anything about it then leave the feedback.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

[Take a picture of the packaging (that includes his return addy so there's no doubt) and a picture of the "Postage Due" label and a picture (or scan) of the receipt. This all backs up your story. THEN contact him with a polite note indicating how you can see how easily a mistake like that can be made but here are the pics documenting that it arrived "Postage Due". If he doesn't do anything about it then leave the feedback.[/QUOTE]

+1
Old 01-07-2010, 04:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the replies guys. I've already done exactly that. I sent him a pic showing the address label and jokingly commented how my wife was mad at me because she was the one who ended up paying out letter carrier the amount due when he came to the door to deliver the package. I'll send the guy another PM and then drop a neg if I don't hear back. My biggest fear is the un warranted retaliation feedback. I see the two of you that replied have perfect feedback also so you can understand not wanting to spoil it over a matter of five bucks. Thanks again.

Here's the image I sent the guy - I blurred out the names and addresses only when I posted here.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Hold off on the negative for a few days and give him the benefit of the doubt. This time of year it's hard to tell what is going on with him. He could be without power, out of town working, or a number of other things.

Personally I probably wouldn't give a negative for it regardless but that's just me. To me it's not worth hurting someone's reputation (or possibly getting retaliation feedback) over $5.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Here is my 2cents, he printed the postage made a mistake on the postage, his local post office should have sent the box back to him for him to add more postage, but they didn't. You did get goods but it was a minor mistake. Partially his and partially the post office
Old 01-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

was the postage paided through paypal? Or the post office? If paypal, from past experence the whole flat rate box thing can get confusing, there are a few diffentet ones and I think paypal only list one, if it was done at the post office I would say that the seller can get left out of it and you would have to get put up with the postal service for their mistake.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks again for the replies. It does look like an honest mistake because it looks like the postage was printed using Paypal. The problem I have is that it does look like the seller has been on the forum (I checked his stats in his Public Profile) since I PMed him and I have not gotten the courtesy of a response. I'll give the guy a week and maybe just leave a neutral since he did make an effort to get it shipped quickly. I just ended up paying 15% more than what we agreed on in the deal.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Champion

The "cup is half full" attitude is exactly how you seem to be approaching it...that he made an honest mistake.

The "cup is half empty" would be that he intentionally underpaid hoping it would slide through the system unnoticed.

Either scenario, you shouldn't be the one holding the bag for HIS error. I'd certainly give him the benefit of the doubt (which is sounds like you have), but I'd send him a note stating that you're sorry the mistake happened but that it wasn't your mistake, that you expect a refund in the amount you were charged within the week, and that absent receiving that refund you will need to leave non-positive feedback. I'd be willing to bet, especially as well-documented as your case appears to be, that if the seller were to leave retaliatory feedback that Marcos would help you out. The fact is that you paid what you agreed to pay, then had to pay more (regardless the amount) because of an error on the part of the seller. You did everything you agreed to do, no non-positive feedback could possibly be warranted.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:38 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
Here is my 2cents, he printed the postage made a mistake on the postage, his local post office should have sent the box back to him for him to add more postage, but they didn't. You did get goods but it was a minor mistake. Partially his and partially the post office
+1

and in no way is it worthy any negative feedback.

negative feedback should only be given if someone doesn't send you the goods, they've listed as new or nearly new and arrive in well-worn condition, the guy waits several weeks before finally sending your stuff. 5-bucks isn't worthy of negative feedback, especially if you get it in return.

end result is you still got your stuff
Old 01-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

wow i once sent a package with insufficient posting (guessed the weight wrong) and it came back to me. this postage due thing is kinda wacked out if you ask me. not saying it is a lie or anything like that but if they scanned it into the system then shipped it then they accepted the terms for mailing it. if anything they should have rts on it and get the postage that way.

good luck in getting the funds from him.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by justanotherdude
+1

and in no way is it worthy any negative feedback.

negative feedback should only be given if someone doesn't send you the goods, they've listed as new or nearly new and arrive in well-worn condition, the guy waits several weeks before finally sending your stuff. 5-bucks isn't worthy of negative feedback, especially if you get it in return.

end result is you still got your stuff
Unfortunately, this creates a situation wherein we unwittingly create an opportunity for dishonesty because we won't call a spade a spade. Under your premise I should be able to under-pay for the postage on anything I sell, pay for Parcel Post and drop it into the Express Mail packaging, and mail it on. Worse yet, I could post in my listings that I would ship via Express. But when the packages all arrived at their destinations with "Postage Due" on them I can't be held responsible because, after all, they DID get their stuff. Right?

I know that's not what you're proposing, but what you have suggested absolutely leaves buyers open to this sort of abuse. The fact is that insufficient postage was paid by the seller on a deal that was to include postage. The seller, intentionally or not, underpaid what he should have and that responsibility is falling on the buyer. I say that's inappropriate and that if the seller is unwilling to correct his error then he deserves AT LEAST neutral feedback.

As far as "the post office scanned it in", that really doesn't happen when you pre-pay postage, at least not at the location you drop it at. That's why Delivery Confirmation USUALLY says something like "shipper has notified post office..." until the item lands on your doorstep.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Unfortunately, this creates a situation wherein we unwittingly create an opportunity for dishonesty because we won't call a spade a spade. Under your premise I should be able to under-pay for the postage on anything I sell, pay for Parcel Post and drop it into the Express Mail packaging, and mail it on. Worse yet, I could post in my listings that I would ship via Express. But when the packages all arrived at their destinations with "Postage Due" on them I can't be held responsible because, after all, they DID get their stuff. Right?

I know that's not what you're proposing, but what you have suggested absolutely leaves buyers open to this sort of abuse. The fact is that insufficient postage was paid by the seller on a deal that was to include postage. The seller, intentionally or not, underpaid what he should have and that responsibility is falling on the buyer. I say that's inappropriate and that if the seller is unwilling to correct his error then he deserves AT LEAST neutral feedback.

As far as "the post office scanned it in", that really doesn't happen when you pre-pay postage, at least not at the location you drop it at. That's why Delivery Confirmation USUALLY says something like "shipper has notified post office..." until the item lands on your doorstep.

then let me ask you, is $5 really worth it for you to receive negative feedback in response to giving out negative feedback all over bickering over 5-bucks?
seems like the OP got a deal on wheels and tires either way, whether it be $35 or $40

i gave a homeless panhandler a $5 sandwich from Subway yesterday if it makes anyone feel any better
Old 01-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Retaliation feedback should not be allowed, and Marcos normally reverses it.

Not just this particular case, I see so many with retaliation feedback. That is why I was proposing to RCTech the same itrader system that sportscardforum has, but no one around here listens so. It would solve so many of these little problems
Old 01-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by justanotherdude
then let me ask you, is $5 really worth it for you to receive negative feedback in response to giving out negative feedback all over bickering over 5-bucks?
seems like the OP got a deal on wheels and tires either way, whether it be $35 or $40

i gave a homeless panhandler a $5 sandwich from Subway yesterday if it makes anyone feel any better
If you choose to ignore the larger point of my post, $5 isn't that big of a deal. That said...READ the post. Ignoring such activity has a very real potential to open a far larger can of worms.