Wiki Posts
Search

Paypal Users/Buyers Beware

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Paypal Users/Buyers Beware

I bought a "VXL System" ( ESC + motor)from a RCTECH user for $80. Item description claimed working and in good condition. It all seemed like a great deal. Item was received with zero damage. All properly packaged.

I assumed it was all fine since seller has a 100% rating. I clipped the Traxxas connector and ESC mounting ears. Mounted it on my car. I installed a Deans Connector and tried it.
NO reverse!!. Called Traxxas to verify my suspicion. Sure enough, Traxxas says ESC is bad.
I started a claim with Paypal and to my surprise they denied my claim. Here's their reply:

"We're unable to decide this claim in your favor at this time. PayPal's Buyer Complaint Policy applies to the shipment of goods but not to disputes about merchandise quality."

Here's seller comments:

"the esc was fine when it shipped as i said, i tested it before it went in the box, i know for a fact it worked. And i will be verifing the SN# when it gets back.
send it back and i will refund +shipping"

# And dispite the fact that this item could easly be damidged apon connection by the buyer, i am willing to refund when returned.

# 9/28/2009 20:53 PDT - Seller: And to add, the unit was 100% as discribed when shipped.

# 9/28/2009 20:50 PDT - Seller: Unit was tested right before shipping, and worked 100%, packed well, and buyer did not report any type of damidge in shipping. unit was sold as used. Traxxas does not warranty repairs from anyone other then the original buyer. Also, no warranty or garrantee was implyed whatsoever in the sale of this item. I have told the buyer to simple send the item back, and apon return i will issue a full refund, plus the cost of shipping. ($8.70 usps priority mail) This however isnt good enough for the buyer.

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. Read the fine print. Seller claims he'll refund money as soon as ESC is returned and verifies the serial number of unit....I get the feeling seller will refuse refund due to "modifications" (ie Deans connector) so I'll take my losses and move on. I paid in good faith for a good product but I guess that's too much to ask sometimes. Why not send it back? I won't waste my time. Sellers identity?

The way I see it, It's all about Karma..... It's all about personal pride.

Buyers beware.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Traxxas won't warranty it either since you changed the connector. You sure the reverse is not "locked out" in the setup?
Old 09-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Locked Out?

Do you mean race mode? Tried that. No go. Traxxas will repair it for $45 + shipping. Thanks
Old 09-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TARider
Do you mean race mode? Tried that. No go. Traxxas will repair it for $45 + shipping. Thanks
Unless they changed something,Traxxas charges $40+$5shipping for out of warranty repairs.And they don't repair the esc,they replace it with a new one.If I were you I would spend the $45 and you will have a new esc and still be getting a good deal for a complete system.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by harry697
Unless they changed something,Traxxas charges $40+$5shipping for out of warranty repairs.And they don't repair the esc,they replace it with a new one.If I were you I would spend the $45 and you will have a new esc and still be getting a good deal for a complete system.
+1. You may have a little moe into it than intended,but at least it wont be a total loss.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Buyer Beware

Good point. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Tech Rookie

You're right $40 + $5 shipping + my cost ship it out to Traxxas.

Originally Posted by harry697
Old 09-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Buyer Beware

I just had to post seller's last email:

i go out of my way to help you, i tell you i will give you a refund, and before you give me a chance to respond to your demands, you file a complant with paypal?!?!?!
nice try, good thing they sided with me and closed it.
nice try at a scam.

My response:

Thanks, but help like yours I do not need. I choose personal pride. I called Paypal explained my side of story. They suggested I start a claim. It just so happens I believe in good faith. End of story. So I'm out $80. Big Deal. Like you said: "I need the money" hope it helps. Goes around, comes around. Have a good one.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

I don't get it. Sounds to me like the seller was actually trying to work with you on this. He offered to refund the money. I didn't see anything other than him wanting to make sure you sent him back the SAME esc that he sold you.

If it were me, in your shoes, I would take him up on his offer. I would cover my rear in the process... Get all of his info (phone #, Addy, and verify it with a followup call) .... Get delivery & signature required confirmation (at my expense) ... and shipped well ... and went from there. As far as switching the connectors.. Switch them back if your worried about it.

You already have it wrote off as a loss right? Atleast this way, if he does pull some shady stuff and keeps your money, you'll know for sure you got scammed or that he's good for his word on the refund.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SirKarnage
I don't get it. Sounds to me like the seller was actually trying to work with you on this. He offered to refund the money. I didn't see anything other than him wanting to make sure you sent him back the SAME esc that he sold you.

If it were me, in your shoes, I would take him up on his offer. I would cover my rear in the process... Get all of his info (phone #, Addy, and verify it with a followup call) .... Get delivery & signature required confirmation (at my expense) ... and shipped well ... and went from there. As far as switching the connectors.. Switch them back if your worried about it.

You already have it wrote off as a loss right? Atleast this way, if he does pull some shady stuff and keeps your money, you'll know for sure you got scammed or that he's good for his word on the refund.

Just my opinion.
i agree
Old 09-30-2009, 01:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

If the seller had given you the option to send it back for a full refund, why didn't you take him up on his offer?
Old 09-30-2009, 06:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Wanabrc
If the seller had given you the option to send it back for a full refund, why didn't you take him up on his offer?
You are probably right. However, I simply don't want to deal with seller. Like I said before it's all about karma and personal Pride has no price.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Buyer Beware

Originally Posted by TARider
You are probably right. However, I simply don't want to deal with seller. Like I said before it's all about karma and personal Pride has no price.
Also, partly my fault but the intent of my post is to educate others on Paypal's position on defective items bought outside Ebay. They won't cover buyer if item is defective.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

If I was the seller and I knew it worked at this point I would say to bad. You cut off parts and put on new ones, you could have very well messed it up yourself, I would have tested it before I cut anything or replaced any connectors. I centainly would not want it sent back to be after this. Even it was new and you did stuff like this and it did not work, they would say to bad so sad. Did you program it to your radio?
Old 09-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Paypal is so hit and miss.
Chances are the person handling your dispute knows absolutely nothing about RC, therefore you will get one who sides differently from another.
Paypal has told me that sometimes they will use a "subject matter expert" such as a hobby shop but that is not very likely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.