Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > For Sale/Trade Forums > Buyer/Seller dispute and discussion forum
Dealing with a refund for a lost package >

Dealing with a refund for a lost package

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dealing with a refund for a lost package

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Dealing with a refund for a lost package

On December 21st I sent 275$ via paypal to someone from this site for a radio, 2 recievers and a carry bag.

On December 24th I recieved this PM from him: "Hello sorry for the delay super busy lately but i did leave the package for the mail man so it is on its way. I am out of town right now for christmas until friday so when i get back i can give you tracking info. I would say you should see it by next week sometime. I will pm you on friday. Thanks" He did not take the package to the post office, he left it out for the mailman. He has no proof that my package was actually sent to the right person or not.

On December 28th I recieved a confirmation number from him.

On December 30th it showed being delivered over the front counter at my post office.

On January 2nd I went to my local post office to talk to my postmaster (very small town). She confirmed that the package was given out over the front counter and that it could not have been the one I was wating for. The package that was delivered only weighed 9 ounces and total shipping costs, including the .75$, confirmation was only 2.53$. I ordered a DX3R, 2 recievers, and a carry bag, which in no way would have weighed 9 ounces. Those would have also cost more than 1.78$ to ship from upper michigan to east central Illinois.

I have never called this guy a crook. I just want my money back. He has excellent trader rating, which I think has nothing to do with this transaction other than he thinks it entitles him to only refund me half my money since he has a "great rating".

I am leaving his name out of it for now because I want to resolve this without any further arguing. To be totally honest I would rather have the radio and recievers instead of my money back but the package is lost. Now I want a refund.

He wants to leave this up to paypal to decide, but this is my first dispute.

what do you guys think.

Last edited by jdubya; 01-21-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

the honus is on him to provide proof of shipping as well as delivery is it not?

Did he ship thru Paypal if so there is a record of when it was shipped and the size of the box shipped as well as to whom it was shipped.

If it was shipped via Paypal, and he scheduled a post office pick up it would be recorded as such.

Leave it up to Paypal
Old 01-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Tech Initiate

It was not shipped through paypal. He just left it out for the mailman to pick it up. He says he does that all the time.

Problem with USPS is that they do not attach an address to their confirmation/tracking numbers. All it shows is that the wrong package was scanned as delivered.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

no what he is saying is . did he pay for shipping through paypal? he is the one who has to show proof of shipping. u should not get just half u need to get a full refund.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm not sure on this one. I didn't pay him extra for shipping. We included it in the price.

I'll ask him.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

I always ship with paypal, if the package does not have much value I leave it at the mail box if holds more value then I bing it to the post offiice. Once I see a postal offical with its out of my hands and is not my responseability, if they lose it or its taken off the persons porch, hate to say it but to bad. It should be the buyers response ability, to pay for faster shipping, insurance, sig. confermation.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

But the guy saying he shipped the controller and the bag, then when he looks at the receipt at the post office and it says 9oz is the issue. No way a controller and a bag would weigh 9 oz.

Really your only option is going to be to file mail fraud with your local PD. If you paid with paypal, file a claim ASAP (If you still can).

Since he did get delivery confirmation, where does it say the package is then?? Still in transit or what?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
I always ship with paypal, if the package does not have much value I leave it at the mail box if holds more value then I bing it to the post offiice. Once I see a postal offical with its out of my hands and is not my responseability, if they lose it or its taken off the persons porch, hate to say it but to bad. It should be the buyers response ability, to pay for faster shipping, insurance, sig. confermation.
I hope I'm only confused by this statement...
Once in the Postal systems hands, it's still up to the Seller to help the buyer out... The Buyer can't file the claim for lost package, the buyer can't claim the insurance.. The SELLER has to do this as he is the "owner" of the package.
as for being taken off the porch or from the mail box or whatever once delivered.. That just sucks, has happened to me once before. I have since corrected these possible actions from happening with help from my Post Office, and fellow neighbors in my apartment complex.
And finally, the poster did say shipping was included in the sale. We have no idea what arrangments were made. It's not stated what type..
Old 01-22-2009, 05:21 AM
Tech Initiate

I filed a dispute monday night. He emailed me last week and said he would refund me my full amount and contact me on 1/19 to let me know the details. I did not hear from him on monday so I filed a dispute. He replied back to paypal on 1/21 and said he would not refund me my full amount and that he felt cheated because he was out 275$.

When I contacted him last week 1/14 and he said he would refund me my money, he also said he had spent the 275$ allready and that he did not have it "at this moment" to repay me. I said that was fine, but come to find out he was away from home at a race. Basically, he spent my money knowing that I had not recieved my package yet. Very poor judgement on his part.

I don't have to have it all "at this moment", but I do feel I deserve a full refund.

thanks for the replies.