• 2 Post By racer1812
  • 1 Post By racer1812
  • 1 Post By silentboost

How to handle lost packages

Old 05-29-2017, 07:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default How to handle lost packages

Tried to purchase a parts lot and USPS lost the package. I sent a $110 PayPal payment on 3/12/17. The package never arrived and finally after waiting now over 2 months the USPS has declared it lost and refunded the seller $50. The seller now wants to only refund me partial payment $50 plus half of the difference and claims that as an offer of generosity. I feel I should be refunded the full $110 and the seller was taking the risk by not insuring the package for the full price. Iím trying to be fair over this but I think I was very patient to wait 2+ months till it got sorted out and the seller has the responsibility till the package is delivered.

I assume if I file a PayPal claim I would get a full refund?

Looking to get others thoughts on how to handle the situation with courtesy.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (99%+)

Absolutely you should get your full payment back! As you stated the seller didn't get enough insurance to cover the full value. That's not on you, UNLESS the seller ask you to pay for shipping and YOU chose the cheapest option then I can see some kind of partial coverage. But I'm guessing that's not the case.

Also you may be SOL on the paypal claim. To long before claiming.

Next time or for anyone else if this happens....

File a claim after maybe 2 weeks. That should be plenty of time for delivery.

That way if the PO takes 2-3 months to declare it lost you would already have a claim and hopefully have been reimbursed. If the package then shows up. You can always resend payment.

Hope it works out.
ThePanda likes this.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I just checked PayPal and I have till Sept 8th to file the claim. I have asked the seller for the full refund. If that is unsuccessful then I will pursue the claim through PayPal.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)
Arrow Refund

If there was tracking on the package, both you & the seller knew the package never arrived. USPS Flat Rate packages already come with $50 of FREE insurance & tracking, so the seller wasn't doing you any favors. After waiting 2 months to have the package declared lost, the seller receives the money for the insurance that covers HIS lost if something happens to the package.
You should receive a FULL refund for the amount you paid. In fact, you should have received it a long time ago. Him just offering you a partial refund is just plain BS!!
Why should you be out $110 for something you never received & yet paid for, when the seller gets $50 for something he probably never intended on having in the first place?!?
Just my .02..........

Last edited by TeamSkunkwerks; 05-30-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

that is why I always paid the extra few $$ when I ship something.. that along with signature confirmation... as the buyer you should receive all your $$ back.. sucks to lose $$ as a seller due to a lost package...
Old 05-30-2017, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imprsme View Post
Absolutely you should get your full payment back! As you stated the seller didn't get enough insurance to cover the full value. That's not on you, UNLESS the seller ask you to pay for shipping and YOU chose the cheapest option then I can see some kind of partial coverage. But I'm guessing that's not the case.
Why? If I as a buyer decide to only pay for single hump camel service vs. next day cheetah. The only difference is that it will take longer for me to get it. Even if I choose single hump camel, it's the SELLERS responsibility to provide PayPal with a tracking number if I have to file a claim. I don't know of any shipping company that says "If you choose our cheaper option we might lose your package."...

Tracking numbers and Insurance cover the SELLER. As a buyer I'll never pay for either one, I'm covered by PayPal.
Jason B and hotrod87 like this.

Last edited by racer1812; 05-30-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sstoffer View Post
I just checked PayPal and I have till Sept 8th to file the claim. I have asked the seller for the full refund. If that is unsuccessful then I will pursue the claim through PayPal.
You already waited WAY longer than almost anyone would. Request a full refund through PayPal, NOW.
hotrod87 likes this.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (98%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Why? If I as a buyer decide to only pay for single hump camel service vs. next day cheetah. The only difference is that it will take longer for me to get it. Even if I choose single hump camel, it's the SELLERS responsibility to provide PayPal with a tracking number if I have to file a claim. I don't know of any shipping company that says "If you choose our cheaper option we might lose your package."...

Tracking numbers and Insurance cover the SELLER. As a buyer I'll never pay for either one, I'm covered by PayPal.
i still get dummy's that ask me "if you can just send it snail mail, can you do $5 cheaper??" NO

i always incorporate the cost of proper shipping with my item, so i'm protected.
Propchecku37 likes this.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I just had USPS lose a package that I had sent a buyer here on RCtech. For this item it wasn't insured since it was just a tiny part and wasn't worth much but USPS lost the item that was in the package (I still wonder how the eff they managed this lol) and I refunded the buyer ASAP. It's my responsibility to deal with USPS if I am the one that paid for shipping and I can only hope they find the item, or I just file it as a loss. It's the price of not fully insuring something. As a seller they should understand that
Old 05-30-2017, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 255 (100%+)

Someone tried sending me a Castle Link in a regular envelope and the rollers at the P.O. must have squeezed it out cause the envelope arrived empty. It left a small opening where it departed the envelope. Not the proper way to ship something like that. (jmo)
Old 05-30-2017, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

I've gone on this rant before and still find it mind-boggling.

So, you take a package to the post office. They measure it, weigh it, whatever. Then they give you a few prices for their services, which is moving your package from point A to point B, right? You pay them for said service. Then, they lose the package that you paid them to deliver and they can somehow tell you "Sorry, but you didn't pay extra to ensure that we did our job correctly" (insurance).

So, what is the money that you gave them for? Apparently it wasn't payment for them to deliver your package to the address you put on the label. It seems as though the additional insurance is what actually counts as payment for their services. The shipping cost is more like a gift because if they don't hold up their end of the deal, it's too bad for you.

That got me to thinking. If someone brought their automobile to me for repairs and I accidentally caught it on fire and burned it to the ground, could I tell the owner of the vehicle "Sorry about that, but you only paid to have your vehicle repaired. You didn't pay for the additional money to ensure that I was competent enough to do the repairs, so you're beat." Something tells me that I wouldn't get away with that. But somehow USPS does it on a regular basis.

Just seems to me that paying a company for services should make them responsible for making sure that the service they're offering gets done as advertised. Paying extra "insurance money" to guarantee they do what you've already paid them to do doesn't add up in my book.