Canadian Buyer Rant

Reply

Old 11-14-2016, 06:20 PM
  #1  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Canada Eh
Posts: 40
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Canadian Buyer Rant

Hey guys,

Just a rant about being a Canadian and trying to buy good quality used parts and cars through this site.

For the first time in almost a dozen transactions I had a seller flat out deny selling me an esc after i sent payment due to my US mailing address not being on my PayPal account.

Now this isn't the end of the world for me as I will move on and find a buyer who wants my money. My problem is that I sent him a PM before sending payment explaining my situation including telling him that my verified address in PayPal is in Canada. If he had read it, he would have been able to say that he wasn't willing to ship to my us address and save me the hassle of waiting for a PayPal refund. All I got was a PayPal email saying my payment was refunded and a short pm saying that my us address wasn't on file.

I have tried adding my us address to my Canadian PayPal and it won't let me add it.

I know that guys have been burned by scammers etc.and that's why I always email or send a pm asking if the selling party is willing to ship to my US mailbox.

What else can I do as a buyer to get people to ship to my non verified address?
Slammed80 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:33 PM
  #2  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 181
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

You can call paypal. I had no problem adding a u.s address to my paypal
cup racer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:45 PM
  #3  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Canada Eh
Posts: 40
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cup racer View Post
You can call paypal. I had no problem adding a u.s address to my paypal
How long ago did you get them to add your us address?

I Have been told over the phone that I can't add my us address at all since I don't live there
Slammed80 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:38 AM
  #4  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,220
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Slammed80 View Post
Hey guys,

Just a rant about being a Canadian and trying to buy good quality used parts and cars through this site.

For the first time in almost a dozen transactions I had a seller flat out deny selling me an esc after i sent payment due to my US mailing address not being on my PayPal account.

Now this isn't the end of the world for me as I will move on and find a buyer who wants my money. My problem is that I sent him a PM before sending payment explaining my situation including telling him that my verified address in PayPal is in Canada. If he had read it, he would have been able to say that he wasn't willing to ship to my us address and save me the hassle of waiting for a PayPal refund. All I got was a PayPal email saying my payment was refunded and a short pm saying that my us address wasn't on file.

I have tried adding my us address to my Canadian PayPal and it won't let me add it.

I know that guys have been burned by scammers etc.and that's why I always email or send a pm asking if the selling party is willing to ship to my US mailbox.

What else can I do as a buyer to get people to ship to my non verified address?
Find sellers FOOLISH enough to do so.
racer1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:52 AM
  #5  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Canada Eh
Posts: 40
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Find sellers FOOLISH enough to do so.
Foolish? That's why I ask before I send payment. I'm not out to scam anyone.


My US address is a company that specializes in helping Canadians like myself have goods shipped and recieved in the US. As I mentioned, this is the first time I've dealt with someone not wanting money.
Slammed80 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:11 AM
  #6  
Tech Legend
iTrader: (259)
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 31,914
Trader Rating: 259 (100%+)
Default

its not an issue of not wanting your money, its what happens if you decide to open a dispute and paypals seller protection policy is not in effect.

now mind you, I don't agree that a seller should take your money if he has problems with this after you already state that you are in Canada and your USA mailing is not a verified address.

However, it sounds like you should persue what someone else stated about getting that address added. If you are using a company that does reshipping, then you should get in touch with them as to why they are not accepted as a valid address.

Me personally, in general I don't ship to canada as its been a hassle the few times I did, and to protect myself with paypal I wouldn't ship to that company either unless it was verified by paypal. If you wanted me to ship that way, I would want some form of payment that has protection to it like what paypal offers, or, is a form of gaurenteed payment (ex- cash)
Cain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:30 AM
  #7  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Canada Eh
Posts: 40
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

It's not that the company can't be verified, I can't add the address to my Canadian PayPal account. I've tried all avenues through PayPal just to be told no
Slammed80 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:36 AM
  #8  
Moderator
iTrader: (76)
 
roadrashracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Green Bay, Wi
Posts: 13,075
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default

To me its just another ave for something to get screwed up, now if it was no longer my problem once the third party gets it, but thats not how it happens.
roadrashracing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:46 AM
  #9  
Tech Legend
iTrader: (259)
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 31,914
Trader Rating: 259 (100%+)
Default

Unfortunately that works out basically the same for the seller, a non-verified address as far as what is coming from you.

Strange, I personally would call the shipping company you are using as they should be able to give you info on how to do this I would think as it would only help them as people would be more inclined to use there business.

Goodluck!
Cain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:48 AM
  #10  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 433
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

this is funny
Coke in a can is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:33 AM
  #11  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (83)
 
Johnn27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,034
Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default Canadian Buyers

I ship to Canada but will not put "gift" on the customs form and I do put the actual purchase price as the declared value
Johnn27 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:53 AM
  #12  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Canada Eh
Posts: 40
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Coke in a can View Post
this is funny
I'm glad that this amuses you. Thanks for your insight
Slammed80 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:35 AM
  #13  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,220
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Slammed80 View Post
Foolish? That's why I ask before I send payment. I'm not out to scam anyone.


My US address is a company that specializes in helping Canadians like myself have goods shipped and recieved in the US. As I mentioned, this is the first time I've dealt with someone not wanting money.
I'm not saying you're a scammer. The fact is that if a seller ships to any address other than the one verified on the PP account, they lose all of their protection from PayPal. It's surprising how many people don't know this. Thus, sellers who do are foolish.
racer1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:49 AM
  #14  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (64)
 
silentboost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,776
Trader Rating: 64 (98%+)
Default

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
I'm not saying you're a scammer. The fact is that if a seller ships to any address other than the one verified on the PP account, they lose all of their protection from PayPal. It's surprising how many people don't know this. Thus, sellers who do are foolish.
many many people dont know this
silentboost is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:50 AM
  #15  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (152)
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 7,045
Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default

Time to move on at this point. I suggest you do the following;

1) Update your profile and indicate your location as CANADA. See mine as an example.
2) When making offers, ensure the seller knows your location in advance. Advise twice if necessary.
3) Expect that many US based sellers will not want to ship to Canada due to extra cost, paperwork, whatever. Suck it up!
4) Expect higher shipping costs for those US sellers who will ship to Canada.
5) Be prepared for delays in shipping due to two postal services, plus the CBSA and Customs checks.
6) Be prepared to pay additional duty, taxes, handling fees and whatever else the taxman sees fit to charge.
SteveM is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service