Sming250r bad seller

Old 07-17-2016, 10:05 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)
Default Sming250r bad seller

Well I just left my first negative feedback. I bought and paid quickly for a used 4wd slash in good operating condition per the ad. Well after a week and no communication I get the death in the family story. This may be true or may not but has no bearing on how this should have been handled. I asked for a refund and I'd move on instead. Then I get the I shipped it ups,well ups does not ship to a Po box I tell him. I ask again for a refund. I shipped USPS already he says. I give him the benifit of the doubt and wait another week. Well it shows up looking as described until I try and run it. Three of four tires are blown at least partially off the rims and one hex is spun when I tear it down I can only reuse the two front diff side bearings and one input bearing. Well since I'm already in there and usually stock lots of bearings I start replacing them and what I don't have I go the the lbs and purchase along with a set of tires. I pm him and no response since a I shipped it already so I file a claim with PayPal then wait 48 hours and escalate it. I asked for a partial refund of $50 for bearings and tires and wheels and a bearing kit for the motor.
Not sure what he told PayPal but I just got a email and they sided with him. Just goes to show the buyer doesn't always win a dispute. You CAN buy a POS from a crappy seller and get burned.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-ultimate.html

Here's a link.

Apparently it is because it's not in the same shape as I received it. Lesson to learn is if you receive a POS file PayPal and don't investigate what wrong leave it alone and file a claim.

Last edited by hotrod87; 07-17-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 311 (100%+)

Hi....you can go to your dispute on PP and see your claim and response.....As you know I'm finishing up one of my own....I think asking for a full return refund is easier than partial......Bar none, you are most honest guy on Tech....I am very sorry you to thru this....I know you will make lemonade out of a lemon...stay tuned my thread will be up when my case is finished.....
Old 07-17-2016, 02:58 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Did you look at the same pics I looked at? It's looks SHREDDED.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Thanks for the heads up HR, added to list.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:37 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Rusty screw heads and dirt doesn't mean all the bearings are wasted and tires are unglued. I trusted by the description that it was in good shape but used. I guess now I know better.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:45 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

That sucks you had to go through that.

But like the previous poster said, the dirt and rust is a total red flag. Seeing the pics makes me worry about what I can't see.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:18 PM
Tech Regular

Sounds like he used the "in good working condition" a little too liberally. At least it sounds like the electrics all work. I think the lack of communication and delays in shipping made the situation worse. I expect buying used to find/fix a minor thing that the owner didn't find a problem with (especially something that has been bashed) but to go through all the effort to get communication from a seller and then deal with the issues would put me over the edge too.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:37 PM
Tech Lord

I have bought other used rigs that looked worse but not this bad condition with the description of good working condition. Don't get me wrong it is not a total basket case. It is used which I expected but didn't expect tires coming off rims 98% bad bearings and bad motor bearings. In my book that is not good useable condition. What bothers me most is he obviously thinks I'm in the wrong.
First didn't ship for a week (no communication )
Second lied about shipping ( no ups to a po box)
Third shipped after I asked for refund at least twice ( so I can't file a claim for non ship)
Fourth tells paypal its in different condition than when he shipped it (yes I fixed it)

On the good side. My wife now has a 4wd slash all fixed up for local racing
Old 07-17-2016, 08:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Unfortunate situation to hear about, Good guy, doing good and still gets the shaft. Hopefully your wife enjoys the 4wd, HR. Also, l like the addition of the 3rd rule. There's your lemonade my friend! Good luck in the future HR!
Old 07-18-2016, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Ya it's obviously got some miles on it BUT the issues Hotrod found can't be shown in pictures. You have to take the seller at their word on the stuff you can't see.

Hotrod is a reasonable guy Socket. He's bought tons of used stuff. He's knows the difference between "used" and "trashed", he's not gonna hammer a guy for normal wear and tear.

FYI, and I brought this up with Hotrod when he contacted me about this issue, and I've posted it before...Be leery of sellers with good BUT very old feedback. The guys who were active, then gone for a couple/few years and then post an item for sale, like this seller. I'm not saying don't trust anyone who does this, I'm saying be cautious. Hotrod isn't the first guy I've seen get burned by "old" good feedback.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Ya it's obviously got some miles on it BUT the issues Hotrod found can't be shown in pictures. You have to take the seller at their word on the stuff you can't see.

Hotrod is a reasonable guy Socket. He's bought tons of used stuff. He's knows the difference between "used" and "trashed", he's not gonna hammer a guy for normal wear and tear.

FYI, and I brought this up with Hotrod when he contacted me about this issue, and I've posted it before...Be leery of sellers with good BUT very old feedback. The guys who were active, then gone for a couple/few years and then post an item for sale, like this seller. I'm not saying don't trust anyone who does this, I'm saying be cautious. Hotrod isn't the first guy I've seen get burned by "old" good feedback.
i'm not saying hotrod did anything wrong. i too believe he got burned. what i think socket is saying is that the rusted screws are dead giveaway that minimally, this thing was run in water. water and bearings don't mix unless you take really good care of your rig. i don't care that traxxas advertises that it's "waterproof". that's crap. i guess i'm saying that i just don't trust anyone enough to see rusted screws and still assume everything is honky dory with the rig.

sorry you got burned hotrod. what a load of BS that because you fixed the rig, that somehow negates that it wasn't sold to you in the condition advertised. i guess i'll never understand the paypal dispute process. sometimes just seems like a total crap shoot.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
i'm not saying hotrod did anything wrong. i too believe he got burned. what i think socket is saying is that the rusted screws are dead giveaway that minimally, this thing was run in water. water and bearings don't mix unless you take really good care of your rig. i don't care that traxxas advertises that it's "waterproof". that's crap. i guess i'm saying that i just don't trust anyone enough to see rusted screws and still assume everything is honky dory with the rig.

sorry you got burned hotrod. what a load of BS that because you fixed the rig, that somehow negates that it wasn't sold to you in the condition advertised. i guess i'll never understand the paypal dispute process. sometimes just seems like a total crap shoot.
I hear what you, and maybe Socket, are saying. In fact I told Hotrod in my PM that based on the pics I was surprised that he didn't find more wrong with the truck. But rusted screws and the dirt you can see don't ALWAYS mean the internals will be shot. At some point you need to trust what the seller is saying, and in this case it wasn't as advertised. Not based on what Hotrod says he found anyway.

I 100% agree that PP screwed Hotrod in this situation. I'm curious what Hotrod told PP. I can only assume it was something that led them to believe he couldn't return the truck in the same condition he received it (most likely better but not the same).

Nothing to do with Hotrod, or this deal, but at the end of the day I wish more buyers, and sellers, would take the time to read these feedback threads..the whole thread. There's a lot of tips and advice given by myself and fellow members that could potentially save a lot of people from having issues buying and selling here. But most people don't even bother to read the rules let alone threads in this forum
Old 07-18-2016, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post

This should have been above my other post. Rusted screws don't necessarily mean it was run "in" water. Many of us pull the radio trays out of our 1/8 scales and wash them with soap and a hose. If you don't dry them properly or use a WD40 type product you'll end up with what looks like an "un kept" vehicle with rusted screws..just saying
Old 07-18-2016, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
This should have been above my other post. Rusted screws don't necessarily mean it was run "in" water. Many of us pull the radio trays out of our 1/8 scales and wash them with soap and a hose. If you don't dry them properly or use a WD40 type product you'll end up with what looks like an "un kept" vehicle with rusted screws..just saying
Yes sir. Mine is that way. I wash it and those screws rust overnight. Everything on mine is new except for the chassis, I mean EVERYTHING, but the screw tops always have that little bit of rusty red. Short of replacing screws everytime you wash it, that will happen. I'm not hosing mine down with WD, that just attracts more dirt, so it is what it is.

Hotrod I'm sending you a pm to a source you will like for really reasonable pull parts and lipos.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:45 PM
Tech Lord

Thank you guys for your opinions and thoughts. I told paypal I was asking for a partial refund of $50 to pay for the bearings, tires and wheels and motor rebuild kit. We all know this is less than what those items cost new but I bought a used slash not a new slash so I didn't think it was right to ask for seller to buy all the new stuff. I thought I was being honest and fair. Well guys the old saying "nice guys always finish last" has some truth to it. Anywhoo I have moved on. I will continue to buy used items if the price is right and if I get something this bad again I will immediately ask for refund through paypal not the seller.