Thoughts on shipping etiquette!

Old 10-28-2015, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Thoughts on shipping etiquette!

I have bought from several people here on rctech the last several months. I have been generally pleased with the deals. My last deal i thought was kinda shady. Figured i would run it passed everyone to see if we are on the same page or if im over reacting a bit.

I bought a used 1/8 nitro buggy, complete roller with some spares. There was a pic in the add with buggy, body off, and spares lined up, extras bagged up ect. When I got the buggy the front and rear diff/suspension sections, shocks, radio tray was taken apart to fit the chassis and parts into a smaller box than would be needed to ship the buggy complete.

At first i was pissed, then calmed myself down because I really bought the buggy as a parts buggy. So eventually id be stripping it anyway. But then i thought what if that wasnt the case? What if the buyer wanted the buggy complete? I dont know, just seemed kinda like a dick move to me. If i sell a ride, and post pics of the deal. When the box is opened the item is going to be as you seen it and decided to purchase.

Just curious on your guys thoughts. Didnt name names, or specific car bought. I msged the seller that i was not pleased, and that he was lucky i purchased the buggy for parts. His response was hes shipped like that several times and never had a complaint.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:39 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

I ship as pictured in the ad. Although having said that, I just sold a slash and pulled the front and rear bumper off so it wiuld fit nicely in the only box I had. I have received some items this way and dont think its a big deal but also have never received something half disassembled either.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:07 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

You know, I think you'll get 50 different opinions on this.

I've sold a couple 1/8th buggies, and it never dawned on me to pull the front/rear clip off to ship. At first I thought it was cheap, and didn't make sense.

Then I thought about it - if I were buying it, I'd be pulling it down to pieces anyway to go through it.

Now, it makes sense to me really. I wouldn't be upset at all.

Recently, I bought a brand new, but assembled buggy. When i got it, it was in 1 piece...however, I spent two days pulling it apart, and going over EVERYTHING.

Had it been in 3 pieces, it would have had zero impact on me.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:37 AM
Tech Regular

I am the same way as far as disassembling and doing a total clean and reassemble. But part of learning the car is taking it apart your self if you wasnt the kit builder when new. Heres a box of parts, better hope its all there..... Guess it just burnt my ass a bit. Id spend a few more bucks and make sure it was shipped as pictured and expected.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If it takes more than 10mins to put back together then it's not a rtr's or artr...If I buy it that wat it better come that way unless agreed upon before shipping...
Old 10-28-2015, 08:18 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)
Questions?? Hmmmm........

If the picture showed it was assembled, I'd like to think that I would receive the item the same way. I understand the sellers reasoning for putting it into a smaller box, but he should've gave you a heads up.
Maybe somewhere in the deal you told him or mentioned you were buying it as a parts car & the seller thought he wasn't doing anything wrong by sending it out partially unassembled & giving you an unexpected head start.

Originally Posted by racerfreedxxxs View Post
I have bought from several people here on rctech the last several months. I have been generally pleased with the deals. My last deal i thought was kinda shady. Figured i would run it passed everyone to see if we are on the same page or if im over reacting a bit.

I bought a used 1/8 nitro buggy, complete roller with some spares. There was a pic in the add with buggy, body off, and spares lined up, extras bagged up ect. When I got the buggy the front and rear diff/suspension sections, shocks, radio tray was taken apart to fit the chassis and parts into a smaller box than would be needed to ship the buggy complete.

At first i was pissed, then calmed myself down because I really bought the buggy as a parts buggy. So eventually id be stripping it anyway. But then i thought what if that wasnt the case? What if the buyer wanted the buggy complete? I dont know, just seemed kinda like a dick move to me. If i sell a ride, and post pics of the deal. When the box is opened the item is going to be as you seen it and decided to purchase.

Just curious on your guys thoughts. Didnt name names, or specific car bought. I msged the seller that i was not pleased, and that he was lucky i purchased the buggy for parts. His response was hes shipped like that several times and never had a complaint.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:25 AM
Tech Regular

No i still have all info fr the pm's on the deal done. There was no info given on my intent of use, and there was no info from him breakin it down to sell. He also mentioned, as i said above, he has shipped many cars like this before with no complaints.

I didnt leave any feedback yet from the deal. Wanted to get more opinions on if this is acceptable practice or not? I for one wouldnt ship a car like this.

I guess I should post a pic of the items in box as i received for a better understanding of what and how it was received.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:29 AM
Tech Regular

Im also not trying to make it a bigger deal then it is. Im all good on the deal, just wondered if i was over reacting by my thoughts on it being kinda shady. Not trying to hang a guy over it. Worst case i guess leave neutral feedback, leave a note on clearly stating packaging expectations from this person as seller?
Old 10-28-2015, 08:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Well, if you're happy with what you received & the way you received it-then leave a positive feedback.
Could just leave a positive & say packaging could've been different, but overall satisfied with the deal.
That way, you're not burning the guy & leaving the packaging part open to interpretation.

Originally Posted by racerfreedxxxs View Post
Im also not trying to make it a bigger deal then it is. Im all good on the deal, just wondered if i was over reacting by my thoughts on it being kinda shady. Not trying to hang a guy over it. Worst case i guess leave neutral feedback, leave a note on clearly stating packaging expectations from this person as seller?
Old 10-28-2015, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 186 (100%+)

Not cool that he didn't asked you if you were ok with taking it apart for shipping, item should be shipped and received as pictured, if everything was included I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. I've done it before when trucks are to big to fit or to save on shipping but always ask the buyer if that's ok with him.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:23 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 259 (100%+)

best bet is to state it in your seller policy on the listing. State that item may be partially disassembled for shipping.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

a LOT of R.C. is about assembling, disassembling, fixing, etc... who cares if the arms (or whatever) were removed to fit in a smaller box? Is this really an issue? As long as it was all there, who gives a flying squirrel. Its not like it was COMPLETELY disassembled... which would be different... but it wasn't...
Old 10-28-2015, 02:31 PM
Tech Regular

The add
Old 10-28-2015, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

Old 10-28-2015, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
a LOT of R.C. is about assembling, disassembling, fixing, etc... who cares if the arms (or whatever) were removed to fit in a smaller box? Is this really an issue? As long as it was all there, who gives a flying squirrel. Its not like it was COMPLETELY disassembled... which would be different... but it wasn't...
Can you tell me if its "all" there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service