Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > For Sale/Trade Forums > Buyer/Seller dispute and discussion forum
USPS Damaged Package and Seller did not insure - Need advice please >

USPS Damaged Package and Seller did not insure - Need advice please

USPS Damaged Package and Seller did not insure - Need advice please

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 06:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default USPS Damaged Package and Seller did not insure - Need advice please

Morning all,

I am in a bit of a bind and am seeking some advice please. I bought a BND from a guy on the forums here recently and have run into a bit of trouble. They guy sent me the tracking number initially and I noticed on the receipt there was no insurance. I made comment of this at the time and was dismissed with a resounding "I have never had problems before." Well 10 days later my package arrived beat to hell by the USPS thugs. I took pictures of the box then proceeded to open it to inspect the damages. Seller literally used 1 precut sheet of bubble wrap as packing material and the rest was thrown in the box. I added up all the parts that were damaged took video and pics and informed the seller of this. (conservative estimate for dameges was $180-200) Advised him that he could just refund me the amount of the parts and I would fix it myself, or I can ship it back for a refund. Buyer immediately went into not my problem mode, and well long story short after 7 hours of debate his ultimate answer was to send him the broken parts and he will rebuild what he can and replace most of the rest, but that I had to eat some of the loss as he did not break anything USPS did. I am not waiting another 20+ days for this to get done. I think he is stalling so I can not open a refund case with paypal. As he no longer has the money to refund to me. (something he informed me of in our 7 hour debate)

I am done arguing with this guy. Should I just start the paypal refund process? Or am I being unreasonable? Had he spent the $5.00 for insurance or maybe $2.00 on packing material he would not be in this bind, and USPS would be resolving this issue. Who ships $400 dollars worth of merchandise without insurance and boxed with one piece of bubble wrap?

Please any constructive advice on the situation anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by bwillenb; 09-15-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Cant tel you what to do with this guy, but I have started adding insurance to my prices when selling cause usps is so shitty with the way they handle stuff. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
Cant tel you what to do with this guy, but I have started adding insurance to my prices when selling cause usps is so shitty with the way they handle stuff. Good luck.
Thank you for your response. I agree 100% When I sell things I add insurance no matter what. Damages aside what if the item gets lost? As a seller I am responsible to make sure the item arrives.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 255 (100%+)

Sounds like this whole situation is off to a bad start. I myself would file a claim w/pay pal and ship the whole junked pkg. back same way it was shipped to you. They'll get the money from him one way or the other! Repairing broken parts...you can do that yourself so why send them back to him to do that and cost you more shipping. Wish we could get a name so we can add him to out "Ignore List".
Old 09-15-2015, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

IMO...File a claim with PP for a full refund saying the item arrived damaged, include pics if you can, they never hurt.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
Including the cost of insurance in your price is certainly your right. It's simply figured in by you as a cost you're going to incur with the sale, just like PP fees, or shipping costs (if you include it in your price).

That said, I laugh at sellers who ask for additional money to insure a package!!. I as a buyer am already covered by PP if the item is lost or damaged, YOU as the seller are not. That's why YOU pay for insurance, if you want to.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thank you all for the responses. I will get the claim started. And prepare for the follow up text from the seller. =(
Old 09-15-2015, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Him cheaping out on insurance isn't you're problem, it's his. My vote is ship it all back. PP will hound him for the money. Oh and make sure his name is known if he doesn't refund, so he can be dealt with by one of the mods or admins here.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 259 (100%+)

In general if I am not okay with eating the costs of the item being damaged and having to refund the buyer, I will not ship it without insurance.

A seller who would just chuck stuff in there like you said, I as a buyer would NOT want to bother with him trying to repair anything, etc. you are asking for trouble as its the stuff you don't see that will be a problem. If he/she has that little regard for what he sold you, how do you know he had any regard for the item at all when he used it.

Better to cut your losses now, get your refund, and ship the stuff back to him. Much less headache.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

My problem comes sending back "some" of the parts. That muddies the deal imo. That also gives him leverage to tell PP, "well, he is working with me on making it right" and it drags out even longer. It's obvious already, he is trying to worm out of the responsibility. No imo, sometimes it's best to cut it off cleanly.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thank you all for the good advice. I opened a PP refund request and all I got was a text saying "Wow u r awesome"

Anyone know how long I should wait until I escalate the case to PP? They say I can do it at any time and I should try and work it out with seller.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

did you file a claim with the post office for the way they treated your package? you're putting a lot of blame on the seller when the post office damaged it. sure, things could have been done different on the sellers end by adding insurance and things could have been different on your end by asking for the package to be insured before the seller shipped it. sounds like everyone is a little at fault.

if im not mistaken the post office has a certain amount of insurance automatically applied to the package. something like $50-$100. check into it, maybe you can get some $ from them.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 255 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
did you file a claim with the post office for the way they treated your package? you're putting a lot of blame on the seller when the post office damaged it. sure, things could have been done different on the sellers end by adding insurance and things could have been different on your end by asking for the package to be insured before the seller shipped it. sounds like everyone is a little at fault.

if im not mistaken the post office has a certain amount of insurance automatically applied to the package. something like $50-$100. check into it, maybe you can get some $ from them.
Priority Mail comes with $50 insurance. If the merchandise is valued at more than $50, additional insurance should be purchased.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andy Koback View Post
Priority Mail comes with $50 insurance. If the merchandise is valued at more than $50, additional insurance should be purchased.
there you go, you should be able to get at least $50 from the post office.

and to the seller, whoever you are. next time add the insurance, lol
Old 09-15-2015, 06:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
there you go, you should be able to get at least $50 from the post office.

and to the seller, whoever you are. next time add the insurance, lol

It was sent "standard post" the cheapest shipping route possible sadly this carries no insurance =( I already checked with the claims site by putting in the tracking number. And the post office will only pay a claim if the item is packed well. This package was far from that lol.

Was a really good thought though I appreciate it either way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service