Community
Wiki Posts
Search

selling to Canada...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 175 (100%+)

Has anyone here bought large scale RC items from Canada shipped to the U.S? Im buying a multiple car nitro lot with radio tx/rx spare parts etc..

Whats the best route? and if the rc item is purchased for $1200 is there duty or customs fees that need to be looked at? If so what should I expect to pay in tariff or custom brokerage once package gets to me in the US?

Is there any regulations to look out with lipos and radio equiptment (2.4ghz radio/rxs)
thanks for the help
Old 01-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

LKRacer, if you buy from Canada, there are a few things to remember.

If shipping, I would have them ship by Canada Post, which means that you wont get charged a brokerage fee as you would with UPS.

If they put the value of the items as $1200, you most likely will be charged with duty. They normally dont bother with it if its just $100, but once you are into numerous hundreds, or in your case thousands, normally you will dinged for duty/customs fees that are all rolled into one. You should be able to go to CBPs website, and that will give you a better idea of rates they charge.

Shipping lipo batteries is tricky. See the explanation below from the USPS website.
"Only lithium cells and batteries that are properly installed in the equipment they are intended to operate may be sent internationally or to APO/FPO/DPO locations if not restricted or prohibited by the destination country. Lithium batteries packed with, but not installed in, equipment and lithium batteries sent separate from equipment are prohibited. Damaged or recalled batteries are prohibited and may not be mailed internationally under any circumstances."
Hope this is of some help. Dont be discouraged, there are ways to do it properly that will give you very few headaches.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 175 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sssracing
LKRacer, if you buy from Canada, there are a few things to remember.

If shipping, I would have them ship by Canada Post, which means that you wont get charged a brokerage fee as you would with UPS.

If they put the value of the items as $1200, you most likely will be charged with duty. They normally dont bother with it if its just $100, but once you are into numerous hundreds, or in your case thousands, normally you will dinged for duty/customs fees that are all rolled into one. You should be able to go to CBPs website, and that will give you a better idea of rates they charge.

Shipping lipo batteries is tricky. See the explanation below from the USPS website.

Hope this is of some help. Dont be discouraged, there are ways to do it properly that will give you very few headaches.
Thanks for the help! So if i am buying 2 nitro cars with 2 lipo or life receiver packs contained in them, and a starterbox with 2 lipos contained inside do you think these will pass customs? or should i have seller remove the lipos to be safe?

I read somewhere RC import into the US if using Tarrif HS code 9503.00 "radio controlled - motorised toys" no duty is needed anyone confirm this is true? if not whats the typical duty rate for $1200 worth of RC from Canada?