Wiki Posts
Search

Are we a generation of liars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)
Default Are we a generation of liars?

First, let me just say that I've been in this hobby since my early teens. 14 if my memory serves me well. I was always fascinated by technology and I had a healthy respect for the items I owned. I have pride in how it looked, how clean it was and that when I was done with it, the potential value was still there because of the cosmetic and physical condition. That being said, I can't say the same for the youth or even legacy generation of today.

I've been buying and selling on these threads for a while now. Mostly buying. I think the first lesson I've learned is, no pictures/communication = no sale. If I can't see it, the actual item you're selling, I won't even read your description. Its fairly safe to assume now in 2014 that if you're not willing to go through the trouble to post up pictures of what you're selling, you're not worth dealing with. Really getting sick of "text me for pics, ill send you some taken with my potato phone".. There are so many resources available at your finger tips today from free file hosting to RCT in house hosting that there should never be an excuse other then just plain ignorance or laziness as to why you're not able to post up clear, crisp and concise images of what you're selling. There shouldn't be any mystery here and buyers shouldn't have to hunt you down to get pictures. Its a waste of mine and your time.

The next issue is the description. I can't begin to try and pass on to you my frustration with lacking descriptions that read "Ill post pics later" or "text me for pics and info" or my fave "everything is in PERFECT condition, believe me I take care of my stuff"... It's as though you expect the buyers all to be gullible enough to say "yes, here is my money, please send me your mystery bag of parts".. If you cannot take the time to properly list your item, describe it to the T and mention any defects or damage, you should NOT be allowed to post in the FS/FT threads, regardless of how many posts you've made in the threads or your combined feedback, it means nothing.

All this frustration comes from my sole experiences here and on other threads. Even after asking for pictures and receiving potato phone pictures, the item that arrives still looks completely unrecognizable. This should never be the case. From having to deal with people who are reluctant to be honest, to people who send me garbage that looks like its been chewed on by your dog. I'm really getting sick and tired of these surprises. If I were to look at the statistics of what I expect based on the pictures/info you sent me VS what I actually received, I would have to make the conclusion that 90% of sellers here are full of $hit.

I'm sure that there have got to be some that can agree with me or at least understand my frustration. It's really sad that we live in a generation where the great majority of people are always trying to work one over on someone. The lies just compound and before long you just have to sit back and wounder why you even bother anymore. At the same time, retail prices for new items are starting to look more and more desirable if not often overwhelming.

With all the being said, I also wanted to say thank you to those who go above and beyond what's expected. For the packages that look like they were packaged and taped by an adult who's dexterity is firing on all pistons and not the ADD pot head who can barely contain himself from licking the sticky backing of packaging tape. Is it really necessary to wrap the box entirely with three layers of tape? To those who actually clean their items before they send them, I don't need a sample of mud, sand, animal hair, pubes or the burrito you were eating while packing. Thank you to those who simply want an easy and convenient way to barter, buy and sell goods, you Sir, are the real MVP..

</rant>
Old 08-14-2014, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

While I agree with most of your post, you're probably better off buying from your LHS by the sounds of it.

I've done my share of buy/sell/trade on here and lots of other forums. In the past 5 years, I can only think of 2 deals that weren't up to my expectations, out of hundreds. I take my time and ask lots of questions and request more pics if I feel the need. If I don't get the pics/answers I'm looking for, I simply move on. IMO, you're better missing out on a good deal while waiting on more info than jumping the gun and getting a pile of crap.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by harry697
While I agree with most of your post, you're probably better off buying from your LHS by the sounds of it.

I've done my share of buy/sell/trade on here and lots of other forums. In the past 5 years, I can only think of 2 deals that weren't up to my expectations, out of hundreds. I take my time and ask lots of questions and request more pics if I feel the need. If I don't get the pics/answers I'm looking for, I simply move on. IMO, you're better missing out on a good deal while waiting on more info than jumping the gun and getting a pile of crap.
For the most part, I can't argue with you. I think that the sad realization is that there are too many people who are simply dishonest. Why is the process of getting necessary info from sellers like pulling teeth? If you're selling a piece of crap, list as something well used and don't expect to get most of your money back. Just the idea of dealing with shady sellers who are reluctant in the first place to provide basic info is the reason why I didn't even bother contacting some sellers even if I really need the item.

That may also be due to the fact that im patient.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M3Roc
For the most part, I can't argue with you. I think that the sad realization is that there are too many people who are simply dishonest. Why is the process of getting necessary info from sellers like pulling teeth? If you're selling a piece of crap, list as something well used and don't expect to get most of your money back. Just the idea of dealing with shady sellers who are reluctant in the first place to provide basic info is the reason why I didn't even bother contacting some sellers even if I really need the item.

That may also be due to the fact that im patient.
I hear ya. There are plenty of ads where I read the title and am interested, only to click and see a one or two sentence description with no pics and often times little to no posts or feedback. As interested in the item as I may be, I don't even bother. If someone can't take the time to write a decent description and a few clear pics, how well do you think the actually take care of their r/c equipment? Better yet, how much lazier do you think they will become once they've received money and it's time to ship?
Old 08-14-2014, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by harry697
I hear ya. There are plenty of ads where I read the title and am interested, only to click and see a one or two sentence description with no pics and often times little to no posts or feedback. As interested in the item as I may be, I don't even bother. If someone can't take the time to write a decent description and a few clear pics, how well do you think the actually take care of their r/c equipment? Better yet, how much lazier do you think they will become once they've received money and it's time to ship?
You've hit the nail on the head.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I buy and sell on here a bit (ok a lot) and I can say that 99% of my listings have pictures and decent descriptions, and I agree a lot of ads seem to be too vague, ill thought out and just lazy.

If they can't be bothered with a decent description, how much of a bother will a trip to the post office be?
Old 08-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nexxus
I buy and sell on here a bit (ok a lot) and I can say that 99% of my listings have pictures and decent descriptions, and I agree a lot of ads seem to be too vague, ill thought out and just lazy.

If they can't be bothered with a decent description, how much of a bother will a trip to the post office be?
When most of the kids lose interest in the hobby or they are just trying to pawn off something they bashed with, you better believe very minimal effort will be made to make it presentable but when it comes to talking it up, they go above and beyond to convince you of how well taken care of its been..
Old 08-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

what about the ads with pics that show the RC caked with dirt/mud/clay with the old, "buggy will be clean before it's shipped". again, if you can't bother to clean it before taking pics, what makes me think you'll do an adequate job after you have my money?
Old 08-14-2014, 07:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Hum feedback should come into consideration on things like that, phreak. I've done ads with dirty cars and said I will clean and always do.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

So I guess I passed "the test" in regards to what I sold you ?

Lengthy rant, but yeah I can agree with it because I've gone through the same stuff. All I can say is that if the pictures are of poor quality, the communication is vague or scant at best, and the seller tends to lack basic comprehension of the English language (i.e. it seems like a drunken, toothless caveman is who you are dealing with versus someone of reasonable intelligence), just do yourself a favor and walk away, no matter how nice the price may be or seem. And if they communicate in that ridiculous text-message type slang, then that's a no-go as well (Ok, I'll admit that I tend to abbreviate some words when communicating via text, but I still make an effort to convey the message clearly). I've yet to set up a deal with literate, well-spoken and courteous person that didn't go well.

And yes, for the love of God, try to at least make a marginal attempt at shipping me something that is clean!!! I too hate it when you get something that looks like it's been rolling around in the back of some hillbillies truck for a few months.

Last edited by nf_ekt; 08-14-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Seether
Hum feedback should come into consideration on things like that, phreak. I've done ads with dirty cars and said I will clean and always do.
I think that feedback is important but now a deal breaker or an ultimatum. I learned the hard way that someone can have 100% feedback and still bend you over.. I don't think that its a fool proof way to tell a persons character and its not 100% accurate but pics, lack of pictures and what can be seen in pictures does and will be used by people to make judgement. Most times, they are accurate judgments too and can save you lots of money if you're experiences. We make judgments everyday about all kinds of decisions, this one is just as important.

In my opinion, people who take the time to take clean, crisp pictures will most likely take the time to take care of their car as well. Even when you get car insurance, the insurance company will take your credit score into account to decide what your rate should be. The idea is that people who are on top of their bills are more likely to maintain their car. This quid pro quo law remains true for an infinite number of things that can happen in life.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Awesome post M3Roc and sadly, all too true. :-(
Old 08-15-2014, 04:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I don't think most people feel that they're being dishonest. It's just that their definition of clean doesn't match yours. If you are any sort of wrench at all, you shouldn't buy used or buy only from those you trust. I don't buy rollers anymore. It's way cheaper but I just don't trust the build much.

Totally agreed on pics. Although sometimes I half ass it if I don't think my thing will sell or if I sort of want to keep it

Originally Posted by Seether
Too bad you don't leave feedback too
Old 08-15-2014, 04:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Love it. All of it. I'm also quite annoyed by people who make no effort to put together a decent For Sale thread. I shouldn't have to do work to get the information that should have been in the ad in the first place. Putting together an ad that looks like a text message kills me too.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

M3Roc, I can say that much of what you dislike is not just that people are dishonest but that they are lazy. If you can not take the time to make the item presentable (clean it up) and upload a clear in focus picture or two. Then in all likelihood the buyer will either not get what they expect in the deal or have to pull teeth to get the deal completed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.