Wiki Posts
Search

Dispute with Elies12

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 04:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Dispute with Elies12

I hate to have to do this, especially as a newcomer to this forum, but it just chaps me when I don't get what I paid for.

On Dec 19 2013 I agreed to purchase some batteries from Elies12. Here's a link to his ad:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...wer-lipos.html

Notice that he only included a top side view of the batteries. I immediately paid through PayPal and to his credit he did ship quickly and I received them in few days, 23 Dec to be exact. I PM'd him to let them know they arrived but didn't really inspect them till 24 Dec and realized on of the batteries was swollen / puffed and the hard case was cracked along the side.

Here's a pic of what I received:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/...2-pc260054.jpg

I PM'd and asked how he would like to handle it. He said it was good when shipped and I must have damaged it. Those of you in the know are aware that Thunder Power batteries us a different balance cable than most. Being new to Lipos I was not aware of that and do not have a charger or adapter to allow me to do anything with this battery. I explained that to Elies12 but he refuses to take responsibility for the bad cell.

I realize he has been on this forum for much longer than me and has many successful trades in his Trader rating but right is right, and sending a puffed / cracked battery isn't right.

I have lodged a Paypal dispute and hope to work it out equitably, we'll see I guess.

In the meantime ......... BUYER BEWARE.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Never buy used batteries here. Not unless it is new in package and seller has posted all sides of battery. I have bought used batteries from friends at my track but I know they are good. Sorry!
Old 12-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya
Never buy used batteries here. Not unless it is new in package and seller has posted all sides of battery. I have bought used batteries from friends at my track but I know they are good. Sorry!
So...you're blaming the buyer because the seller may have sold junk?

the rule of thumb is "buyer beware" not buyer at fault.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Did this stay on the ground for delivery or did they take a flight? A cargo compartment on a plane can be bad for LiPo. The sudden and drastic drop in air pressure can allow the gas in the cells to rapidly expand doing damage.

I would look into the angle of how these traveled, if they were properly declared as LiPo. It is the shippers responsibility to send them in a safe manner.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:07 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by lbenton
Did this stay on the ground for delivery or did they take a flight? A cargo compartment on a plane can be bad for LiPo. The sudden and drastic drop in air pressure can allow the gas in the cells to rapidly expand doing damage.

I would look into the angle of how these traveled, if they were properly declared as LiPo. It is the shippers responsibility to send them in a safe manner.
tru this is, I'd look into it
Old 12-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
So...you're blaming the buyer because the seller may have sold junk?

the rule of thumb is "buyer beware" not buyer at fault.
No way am I blaming the buyer! Just saying don't buy used batteries here to be safe.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lbenton

I agree with Blitz. This is correct and I would look into it.

No way am I blaming the buyer! Just saying don't buy used batteries here to be safe.
I didn't think you were, but I figured I would ask.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

if it puffed in transit, then why does it look like it was taped along the edge?

in any way, it is the sellers job to ensure that contents come to the buyer in the condition they are sold.

If it was shipped not puffed, (which i am doubtful) and the buyer received it puffed, it is still the sellers fault.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ThePanda
if it puffed in transit, then why does it look like it was taped along the edge?

in any way, it is the sellers job to ensure that contents come to the buyer in the condition they are sold.

If it was shipped not puffed, (which i am doubtful) and the buyer received it puffed, it is still the sellers fault.
Thanks for the comments. I live 30 Miles out of town and no active track here at the moment (winter in Wyoming), just recently back in the hobby after many years away, no friends that are in to RC, and money is a little tight so I figured good used was the way to go.

I checked his Trader Rating, asked him specifically on the condition (which he stated was GOOD) and figured he would be GTG. I don't know if this was intentional deception or not but as you say why is there evidence of this battery being taped together on that side.

Hopefully it will all work out.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

My vote is it was shipped with issues. I took the add pic and the above pic and compared them. It may not have been too bad when sold, but maybe the air flight puffed it even more.
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8245/bg68.png

ETA I have purchased used batteries here before and had good luck with them. So it's kind of a crap shoot I guess.

Last edited by spookie; 12-29-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

delete
Old 12-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I would ask for a refund, a total refund. seller honesty is important.

If you want good, cheap lipos; check out SMC. great lips, at great prices.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ThePanda
I would ask for a refund, a total refund. seller honesty is important.

If you want good, cheap lipos; check out SMC. great lips, at great prices.
I gave him the option of a partial refund since the other battery seems fine (although I don't have a way to test it yet) or a full refund and return shipping. He has refused either. I am hoping that PayPal will see it my way.

Thanks for the tip on SMC.

Last edited by rok55; 12-30-2013 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Add text
Old 12-30-2013, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rok55
I gave him the option of a partial refund since the other battery seems fine (although I don't have a way to test it yet) or a full refund and return shipping. He has refused either. I am hoping that PayPal will see it my way.

Thanks for the tip on SMC.
FWIW, I do not think it is allowed to ship a damaged lipo battery. Not sure that it is "illegal" but any shipper will have that as policy and could lead to additional headaches.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

IMO, he obviously only posted a top view picture for a reason.

NOT cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.