Like Tree2Likes

USPS Tracking Problem?

Old 04-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default USPS Tracking Problem?

Recently sold a brand new receiver to a member here and shipped it on Monday the 8th. First class with tracking. I gave the buyer the 22 digit tracking number that is on my receipt and also added it to the paypal transaction.

Problem is, when you enter the tracking number on the USPS website....it says "Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office."

I saw the postal worker put the barcode on the package and the only thing I can think of is they never scanned it in the system. Anyone else have this problem before with USPS? This is a first for me.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 122 (100%+)

It always says that until they have it in there system.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

No worries man, it got here today no problem. Its rare but sometimes the package doesn't get scanned or mis-scans. Its all good!
Old 04-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Suspended

USPS's tracking system is notoriously poor, hit and miss at best.

I can't tell you how many times I've been waiting on a package, only to plug in the number I've been sent, and have it appear that the number had been applied for electronically, and yet the status remain in limbo until after I finally receive it. Same thing with packages I've sent.
I've even had packages that made it into and moved in their system, and appeared to have moved from the initial shipping point, only to remain in limbo (apparently not moving) for days at a time at another location - with a "expected delivery date" that's been passed by days. Then the package shows up, essential late.

It's no wonder USPS is bankrupt, their systems don't work any better than their counter employees (who all seemingly move like they're 127 years old).
Old 04-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

USPS is fine, i ship up to 50 packages a week and have had maybe 1 or 2 problems a year..
Old 04-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigbadbasher View Post
USPS is fine, i ship up to 50 packages a week and have had maybe 1 or 2 problems a year..
+1
Old 04-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I believe that if you ship a package via a flat rate box or envelope you do not get "real time tracking" rather delivery confirmation. Items shipped regular priority do. Don't know if this was the case here but thought it might be worth mentioning.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I keep getting the same notification from the USPS site as well. It seem's to be an internal problem.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I only use fedex when shipping now. Tracking is much better, plus you can set it to require a signature, So you can prove it was received! If you have a fedex store the prices are on par with the USPS for shipping.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Issues with the USPS too. Entered a trade deal where I am to receive 2 sets of 1/8 scale wheels and tires. It says "electronic shipping info received" on 4/18, but there has been no more updates as of 2 minutes ago. When should I start worrying? Guy I traded with says his local post office is notoriously bad, and he has a ton of good feedback so I'm not really worried about a scam. Is there anything else I can do, or just sit here and hope I get my tires before outdoor season begins?
Old 04-25-2013, 05:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 107 (100%+)
Arrow

Sometimes it will not show until the package reaches the next hub. I usually see scans like acceptance, dispatch, processed, & depart. Remember that your package might go through 2 or 3 hubs to get where it's going.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

This has been happening since USPS began including tracking by default with all shipments. If the post master does not know any better and ships your package "first class" then highlights the tracking number on the receipt you will get this message. I found that the tracking number they were highlighting was for internal use only and you have to call the post office and have them check the status. You must tell them you want tracking on first class packages (tracking is not included on first class, but the post master might assume) and fyi the price for first class tracking has gone up. These changes happened within the last few months.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by youwish16 View Post

Problem is, when you enter the tracking number on the USPS website....it says "Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office.
That happens to me alot when i get an email from USPS saying my package has been processed, takes a few days before it actually shows up on the website, and by the time it shows as leaving the distro center its already arrived.
I think the system they use is screwy. Try contacting USPS.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pablo040 View Post
USPS's tracking system is notoriously poor, hit and miss at best.

I can't tell you how many times I've been waiting on a package, only to plug in the number I've been sent, and have it appear that the number had been applied for electronically, and yet the status remain in limbo until after I finally receive it. Same thing with packages I've sent.
I've even had packages that made it into and moved in their system, and appeared to have moved from the initial shipping point, only to remain in limbo (apparently not moving) for days at a time at another location - with a "expected delivery date" that's been passed by days. Then the package shows up, essential late.

It's no wonder USPS is bankrupt, their systems don't work any better than their counter employees (who all seemingly move like they're 127 years old).

Funny thing is USPS used to turn profits every year until 2000ish. It was the only government agency doing so. When it got privatized it started hemoraging money and stamps started rising in price.

Edit: Removed second half because I couldn't dig up a link as evidence.

Last edited by SSG.House; 04-30-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Well, it turns out the USPS sat on my shipment for 9 days at the point of shipment before it was sent. Not really sure why. I received my package on 4/30 after it was shipped Priority on 4/18. Oh well, at least I got it. Guy I traded with was actually heading to the Post Office to rustle some feathers when the website finally updated the shipping info.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service