Advice Needed deal with JAMIE FERRELL

Old 01-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 133 (100%+)
Default Advice Needed deal with JAMIE FERRELL

Hey guys,

Just need some advice about a deal I did with this member here (his username is his name). I purchased a used RX8 and T8 motor from him. It arrived yesterday and I must say it's in rough condition. Let me rephrase; I've never seen an RX8 in this bad of condition. I was told when I purchased that the only thing needed was a new case for the esc and a rotor for the T8 motor. That's it. Nothing more. The seller claimed everything else was in great condition. So if I only had to purchase a new rotor and case for the esc I would not be posting here.

Let's start with the esc. The case is trashed (and that's fine as I was expecting the worst) however, the case is actually CA glued shut. I do not see any other way to get the case apart other then cutting it open which may or may not damage the PCB's inside. This seller claimed that the case was only cracked around the screws on the corners. I will let the pictures speak for themselves. The other concern I have is there are 4 sections in the ESC wire (signal) that are worn through and showing bare wire. Some of the wire is cut as you can see the strands coming out. The wear I'm most concerned with is where the wire comes out of the case (many strands cut and are showing). I have not even bench tested this thing so I'm not even sure if it turns on.

Now for the motor. The motor has a dent on the rear of the can (fine with me but wasn't disclosed). All 3 tabs are loose as in they have been pulled away from the reinforcement ring. You can actually grab the tab and move it fore/aft and left/right. It's that loose. Again was not disclosed.

Unfortunately for the mods I only have emails from the seller as he will not respond to pm's. I contacted the seller and just simply asked for a refund as this combo was nowhere near the condition he claimed. He has flat out refused and said he has already spent the money on a new system (which is funny if you read his ad he states he has picked up a sponsorship). Now I understand I "only" paid $145 shipped but I also had to purchase a new rotor (which I already did) and it was $47. So really I'm close to $200 for the deal which is right there on some nice tekin combos here on this site. Now adding in an esc cable replecement (assuming that's ALL it needs) and getting the tabs fixed on the motor, I am now way over what I would want to pay for a used esc/motor combo.

My question for you guys is do you think I am being unreasonable for asking for a refund considering the price? The only picture the seller provided in his ad was a shot from above (it showed nothing really, just that it was a tekin esc/motor). I paid with paypal and can open a claim (which I have not done as of yet) but wanted to get feedback from you guys before I did. There are truly some great people on here and I value their opinions.

Pictures below.

Link to for sale thread:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...otor-pics.html

Last edited by timannnn6; 01-27-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

More pics

Last edited by timannnn6; 01-27-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 244 (100%+)

There is no way those pictures match up with the description given by the seller. I would not even trust that equipment in one of my cars. Aside from the glued case, crappy soldering, bare wires and obvious abuse, I would be more worried about it taking one of my rides down with it. How the heck do you even get something in that bad of condition. I say full refund and move on. I would also say get more pictures before buying.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:08 AM

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

I would def. file a paypal claim, you can already tell there was a reason why the seller posted the pic from above. I wouldn't be surprised if the esc was wasn't even working and in the end its going to cost you more for parts/repairs. IMO just file the claim, and send him his stuff back as is and hopefully you can return the rotor as well.

BTW I locked his FS thread you posted so that he could not edit/change anything........
Old 01-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ilanstylz View Post
I would def. file a paypal claim, you can already tell there was a reason why the seller posted the pic from above. I wouldn't be surprised if the esc was wasn't even working and in the end its going to cost you more for parts/repairs. IMO just file the claim, and send him his stuff back as is and hopefully you can return the rotor as well.

BTW I locked his FS thread you posted so that he could not edit/change anything........
Thank you

Edit: PayPal claim filed.

Last edited by timannnn6; 01-23-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Some people

Obviously he didn't disclose the actual condition of the motor and esc. You made a reasonable request for a refund. Smart move would have been to agree and be more honest with the next guy. But now your stuck playing the PP game.

Just another guy using this site as a free ebay

Good luck, hope it goes your way.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The old rule "when in doubt, ask for pics" comes to mind. Buying used electronics is a mixed bag. You are certainly owed a refund and hopefully everything turns out good with Paypal.

If I suspect the pics are fishy I ask for more pics and then I ask for pics of specific things. That way the joker can't just pull them off another post or off google. If things don't match up at that point, it's time to run.

Sorry that happened to you. FWIW there's a seller on here going by syoung298 and I bought a BNIB RX8 T8 from a couple weeks back. Good stuff, and a great guy to deal with. It looks like he bought a boatload of Tekin stuff, or maybe he knocked over a Tekin truck, I don't know and I actually don't want to know but it's worth a look if you still need some electronics.

Good luck with your PP claim.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Definitely not what I would have expected to receive. PayPal claim and ship back. It is unfortunate that you bought the rotor and hopefully you can return it also or keep as a spare. I understand why you bought it but you can't totally put the rotor on him. We all know that used stuff is a crap shoot but not all used is abused.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fullwatts View Post
The old rule "when in doubt, ask for pics" comes to mind. Buying used electronics is a mixed bag. You are certainly owed a refund and hopefully everything turns out good with Paypal.

If I suspect the pics are fishy I ask for more pics and then I ask for pics of specific things. That way the joker can't just pull them off another post or off google. If things don't match up at that point, it's time to run.

Sorry that happened to you. FWIW there's a seller on here going by syoung298 and I bought a BNIB RX8 T8 from a couple weeks back. Good stuff, and a great guy to deal with. It looks like he bought a boatload of Tekin stuff, or maybe he knocked over a Tekin truck, I don't know and I actually don't want to know but it's worth a look if you still need some electronics.

Good luck with your PP claim.

if a seller is too lazy to take good pics of the stuff in the first place I won't even bother asking.
there's something they're hiding guaranteed. the forum has an attachment option so there's no excuse of I don't have an account at flickr or photobucket etc to upload pics to. there's a lot of that lazy bs in the for sale section of this forum.

if I was a mod I'd make photos, price and 100 posts count a must to sell something
Old 01-26-2013, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtpocketsracing View Post
if a seller is too lazy to take good pics of the stuff in the first place I won't even bother asking.
there's something they're hiding guaranteed. the forum has an attachment option so there's no excuse of I don't have an account at flickr or photobucket etc to upload pics to. there's a lot of that lazy bs in the for sale section of this forum.

if I was a mod I'd make photos, price and 100 posts count a must to sell something
If you were a mod you would know that those options are not up to you..us

We moderate the site, we don't own it. Some things are not in our control.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Wanted to give you guys an update. I escalated the dispute to a claim on the 23rd and within 5 minutes (yes literally 5 minutes) I received an email saying PayPal had sided with the seller. I then had to call PayPal (at work I might add which I'm really not supposed to do) and file an appeal. My case is now under investigation. I really cannot believe Paypal sided with the seller with ALL the information I gave them (including a link to this thread). I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will keep you guys posted.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by timannnn6 View Post
Wanted to give you guys an update. I escalated the dispute to a claim on the 23rd and within 5 minutes (yes literally 5 minutes) I received an email saying PayPal had sided with the seller. I then had to call PayPal (at work I might add which I'm really not supposed to do) and file an appeal. My case is now under investigation. I really cannot believe Paypal sided with the seller with ALL the information I gave them (including a link to this thread). I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will keep you guys posted.
did you use a credit card through paypal? I've always heard that going through your credit card bank is the best way to do it. they don't like scam artists. paypal is known to side with a seller about 90% of the time. getting a email 5 mins later just proves that. there's no way they investigated anything.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
If you were a mod you would know that those options are not up to you..us

We moderate the site, we don't own it. Some things are not in our control.
I'm used to being on a forum where one of the members is the owner. this one appears to be owned by vertical scope or something of the like judging by all the advertisements. am I right?
Old 01-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Not defending the seller by any means, but IMO as the buyer you probably should have asked for more pics and info. According to the ad, both the motor and esc were damaged to some extent. That right there would have made me ask tons of questions and request more pics from all angles, if I didn't pass on it altogether.

While the items are definitely in worse condition than the seller's description claimed, it didn't sound like good equipment regardless. He may not have known about the chewed-up wires considering they were routed (poorly I should add) in the vehicle. Requesting more pics would have probably made the wire issue obvious. Then again, if I were selling something and discovered an issue like that after payment was sent, I would notify the buyer and let them know about it. Deceptive selling practices for sure!

Good luck with the appeal. Either way, this sour deal should be a good lesson for future purchases.

Last edited by harry697; 01-26-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
Not defending the seller by any means, but IMO as the buyer you probably should have asked for more pics and info. According to the ad, both the motor and esc were damaged to some extent. That right there would have made me ask tons of questions and request more pics from all angles, if I didn't pass on it altogether.

While the items are definitely in worse condition than the seller's description claimed, it didn't sound like good equipment regardless. He may not have known about the chewed-up wires considering they were routed (poorly I should add) in the vehicle. Requesting more pics would have probably made the wire issue obvious. Then again, if I were selling something and discovered an issue like that after payment was sent, I would notify the buyer and let them know about it. Deceptive selling practices for sure!

Good luck with the appeal. Either way, this sour deal should be a good lesson for future purchases.
Seller stated that the only 2 items needed was a case for the RX8 and a rotor for the motor. He assured me that everything else was in great condition. In fact he said he had just won a race with this exact system (hard to believe anything he said now especially with the motor having a damaged rotor). But I do agree this is a HUGE lesson for me and asking for more proof of condition before sending payment. Up until this point all of my transactions have gone off without a hitch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service