What is up with all the lowballers????

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Everybody take a deep breath and relax a little, continue your "conversation". Just don't let it go the way of the political threads in the chat lounge.......trash can
Old 06-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badaml View Post
That's because you are buying them before anyone gets to see the ad

Just kidding
No doubt..
Last few deals..haven't gone the way they should have that's for sure..their are some stand up guys in here and a few buyers that I would never deal with..a few years ago I got burned selling a radio on eBay..learned a lesson on that one....
Old 06-25-2012, 11:56 AM

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis View Post
No doubt..
Last few deals..haven't gone the way they should have that's for sure..their are some stand up guys in here and a few buyers that I would never deal with..a few years ago I got burned selling a radio on eBay..learned a lesson on that one....
I typically won't sell to anyone brand new to the site. Too many new people expect it to work perfectly out of the box, no setup needed, and they will drive like a pro because they watch the guys at the track do it and it looks like fun and looks easy.

Which is ok with electric (sometimes), but anyone in rc for any period of time knows that a fast electric can get away from you in a hurry.

I had a BRUSHED Slash a buddy of mine was selling, a guy at work was interested. Lunch time comes around, we go outside, and I demo it for him. You want me to put it at 50 percent power? Nope, he knows how to do it and it doesn't look anywheres near as fast as my Vorza, he will be fine. 5 seconds later he plows into my lunch, my drink, the curb and finally stops at my shin. Lol, true story

He didn't buy it either Apparently there was something wrong with it and it just wouldn't stop.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i only make offers on stuff im really interested in buying. Yes sometimes i take a stab at a lowball offer. Doesnt hurt to try. If they say no i usually raise my offer.

Ive dont some good deals on here. got some good stuff. ive been burned a couple times but usually that is on the less than 60 bucks stuff where its not a big deal anyway.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I was in the market for a Reedy Wolfpack lipo for my VTA car.

Team Associated Website: $114 + Shipping
LHS Price : $95 + Tax
Amain: $90 + Shipping
Lowest NEW Ebay: $53 + Shipping
Used on RCTech: $65 shipped

MY opinion, a used Wolfpack is worth $35-$45 depending on condition, knowing I can buy a new one on Ebay (US seller, $4 shipping, more then 10 available) for under $60. According to the RCTech seller who bought it from Amain, he is already giving an awesome deal.

Needless to say, I bought it on Ebay. Someone did buy the used pack here as well.

Just keep in mind, one person's lowball offer could just be a result of someone else doing more research. Does not mean you will not get your asking price, but assuming that the buyer is trying to "screw you" is not always the case.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I haven't sold anything for a while, so I forgot how bad the lowballers can be. I'm getting my fair share of ridiculous offers for an RX I'm selling. I used to respond, now I don't even counter. If I'm asking $70 for a $100 item and you offer $45, I'm not going to meet you in the middle. uggh...
Old 03-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Actually the price of RC stuff is cheap... Its just a ridicoulous mark up for retail... Usually the mark up is like 60 to 80 percent.. So really before you even sell the item used you were already ripped off by the store...
Old 03-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Everyone is just looking for the best deal. So the old adage if you don't ask ..... or all the can say is no...... really fits . I get beat up all day long lime this at work so I get kinda irritated when I get hammered with it on here . I have to stop sometimes and take a deep breath and realize these are just toys. We do this for fun.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Everyones looking for the best deal possible, even if its unreasonably low.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hotrod87 View Post
Everyone is just looking for the best deal. So the old adage if you don't ask ..... or all the can say is no...... really fits . I get beat up all day long lime this at work so I get kinda irritated when I get hammered with it on here . I have to stop sometimes and take a deep breath and realize these are just toys. We do this for fun.
+1

Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
Everyones looking for the best deal possible, even if its unreasonably low.
The problem is defining what is "unreasonably" low. I follow the for sale stuff a lot and have a decent idea of what a lot of items go for. Some people do their research but others do not. I know the last several items I have bought, I have offered exactly what the person was asking for. I felt they were good deals and did not want to lose them through negotiations of to someone else offering full price. Not everyone is in that same boat.

Keep in mind, in the world of supply and demand, the value of an item is based on what someone is willing to pay for it, not what a seller wishes to get out of it. Seasonality affects things too. As we move out of onroad indoor carpet season, now is where you find deals on 12th scale pan cars and the like. Offroad items on the other hand are picking up as we start looking at spring and summer and people move outdoors.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ryan90 View Post
Actually the price of RC stuff is cheap... Its just a ridicoulous mark up for retail... Usually the mark up is like 60 to 80 percent.. So really before you even sell the item used you were already ripped off by the store...
If you're talking about hobby shops, ya no not even close. I worked at the hobby shop and want to talk low ballers? If someone spent a dollar in there they thought they should be getting discounts and free services and specials etc etc. "Well I know you're making big money look at the price of these things" when a car that sells for $600 cost us $475-500 plus shipping, and an hour or two showing you every car twice thats $50.00-75.00 profit thats if you can buy direct. I would say on average hobby shops make say 10-20% profit on items over $100. Next time your at the hobby shop trying to lowball the sales guy because you bought a car there before realize you're one of a hundred people that ask for the same thing.

Just a heads up, if you spend WOW $5000 at your local hobby shop over the past 5 years, most of the employees spend MUCH MUCH over that in a year easy, so your not that special, and there are some guys that spend 10-20k a year or have been with us for years and they get it at the same price.

Andy
Old 03-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

For every lowballer, there's also the seller who puts an extraordinarily high sell price. They're no better. No I'm not going to pay you $500 for something I can buy new for $450 just because you did some hackneyed "upgrade" that I'll have to buy parts to fix.

"That guy" is just as bad as the lowballer. Lowballing can be done right. Recognize it's a lowball and dont get mad if the person doesn't take it.

Both these behaviors happen in EVERY form of selling, whether it's RC's or furniture. When you're selling, you just have to understand they are out there.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 346 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scottgir View Post
For every lowballer, there's also the seller who puts an extraordinarily high sell price. They're no better. No I'm not going to pay you $500 for something I can buy new for $450 just because you did some hackneyed "upgrade" that I'll have to buy parts to fix.

"That guy" is just as bad as the lowballer. Lowballing can be done right. Recognize it's a lowball and dont get mad if the person doesn't take it.

Both these behaviors happen in EVERY form of selling, whether it's RC's or furniture. When you're selling, you just have to understand they are out there.
WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know how many times ive seen people jack up their asking price because it has a few aluminum extras on it. Just because you spent 150$ on new aluminum hop ups, does not mean that it adds anywhere near that value to the vehicle.

Its every members right to make their own asking prices for their products, but don't get mad when someone makes a fair offer for your vehicle.

The "used once" thing always drives me nuts as well. 90% of the time that is not true, and it is still used so dont expect new value out of it.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I KNOW! I offered a guy 45 shipped for a used tekin gen 1 motor, and he called me nuts
Old 03-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 129 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scottgir View Post

+10000000000

what some people think is a "lowball" offer is ridiculous. if i offer you 80% of your asking price, that isn't a "lowball" offer. i offered just that about a week ago. never got a reply from the person and in his FS thread he put "sold to the first non-lowball offer" or something like that. i quickly put him on ignore so as to avoid upsetting his delicate sensitivities again.

when i put something up for sale if i get what i consider a lowball offer, i will still reply to that person and it won't be a smart alek response. i simply say "no thanks. appreciate the interest" and move on. conversely, if i offer someone a lower price than they're willing to accept and they reply cordially to me, i will say "thanks for the reply, good luck with the sale". is it really that hard to be civil?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service