Scam or not?

Old 05-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default Scam or not?

Anybody else see this in the FS section http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...l#post10762165 ?
It SOOO reeks of a scam, but I don't want to hound the guy with nothing proven. But really, he just happens to "find" a rare kyosho blizzard in his garage and is willing to sell it for hundreds less than they commonly sell for? Same goes with all the other stuff that keeps dropping down in price. It's one thing to not really need money, it's another to be giving away a fortune. Forum rules say I should keep my yap shut, but someone has already sent him money for one thing. Hope it's not, but I'm betting it is..
Old 05-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i felt the same way when i looked at it earlier. his only posts were in that thread and the prices are suspiciously low.

it isnt my place to police for sale threads, so i bit my tongue.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Tech Regular

yeah, I need to just let it go. Hopefully it's just someone stupid selling their stuff for nothing.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I wouldn't buy anything. Not worth a good deal for that much of a chance at getting scammed. Pics on request? I would feel more comfortable if he posted them in the actual thread.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Sometimes you can't save people from themselves, marvin.

Let's hope you're wrong, for the buyer's sakes, but yeah, I can see why you were suspicious.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Seems cheap but.... There is times I get tired of things and sell them local for dirt cheap . Just sayin
Just remember paypal gives protection as long as it's not a gift.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hotrod87 View Post
Seems cheap but.... There is times I get tired of things and sell them local for dirt cheap . Just sayin
Just remember paypal gives protection as long as it's not a gift.
that's very true as long as you don't pay as gift or money order your protected
Old 05-22-2012, 07:07 PM
No9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I agree it sounds very fishy but also the seller has done nothing wrong at this point and because of that we have no right to hijack his for sale thread.
If this is all above board and i hope it is those who sore fit to post in his for sale thread will look very stupid.
I believe that there should be a minimum of 50 posts required before you can use the for sale section.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by No9 View Post
I agree it sounds very fishy but also the seller has done nothing wrong at this point and because of that we have no right to hijack his for sale thread.
If this is all above board and i hope it is those who sore fit to post in his for sale thread will look very stupid.
I believe that there should be a minimum of 50 posts required before you can use the for sale section.
I'd like nothing more than to be totally wrong on this one, since that would mean no one got scammed. I'm still skeptical though. I'll watch from afar, instead of saying anything more in his thread.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marvinbeaverdip View Post
Anybody else see this in the FS section http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...l#post10762165 ?
It SOOO reeks of a scam, but I don't want to hound the guy with nothing proven. But really, he just happens to "find" a rare kyosho blizzard in his garage and is willing to sell it for hundreds less than they commonly sell for? Same goes with all the other stuff that keeps dropping down in price. It's one thing to not really need money, it's another to be giving away a fortune. Forum rules say I should keep my yap shut, but someone has already sent him money for one thing. Hope it's not, but I'm betting it is..
I wouldn't hijack his thread, bud. The Mods will flip you like a cheese omelet for that. Personally, I wouldn't touch that ad with a 15 ft. pole. Zero feedback, no pics, 9 posts and ridiculously low prices? "Danger Will Robinson....Danger...."
Old 05-31-2012, 05:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I hate to say it but you may have been right Marvin. Looks like one guy paid and still hasn't gotten his tracking information. The seller hasn't responded to any PMs either.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blade329 View Post
I wouldn't hijack his thread, bud. The Mods will flip you like a cheese omelet for that. Personally, I wouldn't touch that ad with a 15 ft. pole. Zero feedback, no pics, 9 posts and ridiculously low prices? "Danger Will Robinson....Danger...."
100% correct

if anyone has questions about a F/S thread you all know the questions to ask without calling the seller out as a scammer.

Your post was a little touchy, just skirting through without getting you in trouble Marvin..but in the future keep the questions in here not in peoples threads.

Buying here has always been "buyer beware". If people want to take the chance on buying from a FS thread like that it's their choice. Might be a foolish one but it's theirs to make.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
100% correct

if anyone has questions about a F/S thread you all know the questions to ask without calling the seller out as a scammer.

Your post was a little touchy, just skirting through without getting you in trouble Marvin..but in the future keep the questions in here not in peoples threads.

Buying here has always been "buyer beware". If people want to take the chance on buying from a FS thread like that it's their choice. Might be a foolish one but it's theirs to make.
That's why I didn't push it. It does look like it was a scam though, so I guess if my comment helped push even one person away from becoming a victim I'm ok taking some heat for it. As a general rule I resist commenting in the FS threads out of respect for the rules, but I just couldn't resist this one. Not saying anything feels a bit like passing by an alley while someone is getting mugged, but continuing to walk by. This rule about only letting established members sell here really needs to gain some traction. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but it seems like there's just too much of this stuff.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

you went as far as you could and still try not to get yourself in trouble, so I left you alone on the subject Sure as heck looks like a scam to me

The post count rule has been pushed up as far as it can, by myself and the site admin. I've even asked for a more lacks 50 post count rule. It's up to IB, I'm not holding my breath. Until something changes....BUYER BEWARE..as always.