i was sold a dud

Old 05-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default i was sold a dud

So o recently posted a wtb ad for a Mamba Max pro, used or new. After find a new one for a decent price I got a pm from another member who will remain anonymous for now about a used one he had. I struck up a deal and payed him and received it very fast. I was happy until this point. He had informed me has had Re soldered a motor wire to the esc but it still worked.

Fast forward to the day I got it. I opened it up, all looked OK, he had cut the connector of the esc so I wired up a traxxas connector and replaced the motor wires heat shrink. Go to power it on, nothing? I email him 3 times. Open the case, checked continuity on the receiver wires, all good. Had power from lipo on the esc PCB. I email him again.

He responds that may have wired the polarity wrong ...this isn't my 1st esc or my 1st time soldering. Everything was good. He then emails me back again and says bummer he doesn't know what I did wrong and it worked before he sent it...

I emailed him twice and pm's him and told him I'd be willing to split the cost of a castle out of warranty repair ($70) and I would cover shipping. No response yet. Am I in the wrong here? I informed him every step of the way even before I opened the esc for checking it with my multi meter.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

you are doing the right thing. leave the PayPal case open. i hope he agree's to 1/2 the cost of out of warranty for castle.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Tech Addict

I haven't even opened a PayPal case yet, hoping I wouldn't have to and he would work with me. I feel I'm being morr than fair by offering half the cost even though I didn't do anything to the esc that no one else normally would. It just plain doesn't work
Old 05-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CerberusVI View Post
I haven't even opened a PayPal case yet, hoping I wouldn't have to and he would work with me. I feel I'm being morr than fair by offering half the cost even though I didn't do anything to the esc that no one else normally would. It just plain doesn't work
Open one now. Don't wait. Even if you close it later it doesn't go against either of you, just don't close it until everything is done and over with.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:24 PM

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Originally Posted by catogtp View Post
Open one now. Don't wait. Even if you close it later it doesn't go against either of you, just don't close it until everything is done and over with.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

The only problem with opening a case right away, Is if he agrees to split the $70 repair fee how can he send the money if a case is open? Other scenario say you open the case, he agrees to send the $35 (His half) then you cancel the case and wait for payment and he decides he does not want to do the $35 anymore no more case and almost nothing else you can do at that point since you have already opened and closed a case.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Tech Addict

Well shoot..I guess i didn't think about that and I just opened a case..that makes a lot of sense though ...well I also notes that I would be willing to return the esc for my $$$ back
Old 05-01-2012, 05:06 PM

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Seller can respond to case and offer a partial refund, in this case $35. You accept, get $35, paypal closes case and everything is good. Not a difficult situation lol.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:15 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Ah thats great news, I did not know that Paypal had implemented that feature I have never been scammed before so I have never had to do a chargeback. Great news for the OP if the seller is willing to refund a partial amount.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Tech Addict

The seller had responded quite angerly and told me "you have just made things 10x worse" as well as letting me know hes not ignoring me.I told him I can still close my claim with no problems
Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Keep the claim open, Do not close it no matter what he says, if he says he's going to give you a full refund then let him do it the official Paypal way. Do not close the claim to let him send it to you because how he responded does not bode well for you getting a refund. If he refunds you send the item back as you received it and be done with it.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

That is exactly why I suggested you open the case now. He's ignoring you for a reason: He knows he is wrong.

Last edited by catogtp; 05-02-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I agree with everything already posted. Keep your claim open until it is resolved completely. If you close it for any reason before receiving money, getting a refund, whatever, then he is not obligated to resolve the situation any more. And you can't open a new claim.

This situation is why I would be cautious of ever buying a used ESC. Any time it starts with "all I had to do was solder a new..." you have no idea what happened. Unless you're buying it for a steal of a price and plan on a warranty repair going in, you're better off buying new.