Search

HELP ME OUT I NEED INPUT

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default HELP ME OUT I NEED INPUT

thanks for looking.

I sold a gentleman a brushless speed controller with a 17.5 motor in perfect working condition. He gave me a positive rating saying "awesome" seller.Then 2 days later said he installed it and bench tested it and it worked. Then he went to track and says it ran for ten seconds and quit. What shoul I do or what would you do. If I refund his money then I'm out the cash and I have my speedo back in non working order.

Anyone that might have a suggestion on how i could resolve this but keep both parties involved happy.

thanks for your input
Old 02-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Honestly after he did all that with the esc and motor I wouldn't refund the money. There are a lot factors that come into place. This is a very tough situation because you don't want to be a jerk about it, but you don't want to be out the motor/esc and the money.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 1210 (100%+)

That's a hard one. If it ran, it worked. You have no control over what happened once it hit the track. He could have completely rewired the ESC to fit his application and had something short??? There is no winner in this situation, but is the risk that is taken when buying used electronics. The only "nice guy" thing to do is offer a 50% refund on the value of the ESC, but then again you have no idea what happened after he got the ESC...
Old 02-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

it may suck for the buyer but I think you are completely in the clear.

you delivered working goods and the buyer confirmed it as working; you have no way of knowing how the ESC or motor was installed, what it was geared at, if the soldering was done correctly, if a dying/defective servo killed the BEC, if wires were pulled on too hard or damaged, if something was bound up or dragging in the trans/drivetrain.... all you know is that the buyer received it in working condition and that a short time later, it failed for unknown reasons.

presuming it was the SP esc you listed a week or so ago, they are not exactly known for super-solid reliability anyways; so every time you use one it can be a bit like russian roulette. even brand new electronics fail (i'm sure we've all blown up a new ESC at one point or another). it is just the nature of the beast.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Could it be that he is using NiMh batteries and the speedo is in lipo mode? Need to ask that cause that what it sounds like, or he over geared it or he did something with the installation that caused the malfunction. Ask for pics of his set up and what he is using for batteries. It is not always the speedo's fault.I would not refund anything, it worked on the bench??? Need to install and run these things when you get them. And also this should be in the Trader Feedback section not For Sale/Trade.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Sorry rock333 I wasn't aware of that thread thanks for the info
Old 02-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaypeezy
thanks for looking.

I sold a gentleman a brushless speed controller with a 17.5 motor in perfect working condition. He gave me a positive rating saying "awesome" seller.Then 2 days later said he installed it and bench tested it and it worked. Then he went to track and says it ran for ten seconds and quit. What shoul I do or what would you do. If I refund his money then I'm out the cash and I have my speedo back in non working order.

Anyone that might have a suggestion on how i could resolve this but keep both parties involved happy.

thanks for your input
he bought used, and he knows that it worked when he received it. What's the difference that it lasted 10secs (btw, doubt that), he still used it to race which can kill even a brand new esc. It sucks to be him, but it sounds like he got what he paid for. Honestly, you have no idea if he overgeared it, ran it into a wall and kept the throttle on, etc. I say your hands are clean.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Tech Adept

he blew it & wants a freebee, not your fault used market price has its risks.
crude but thats the truth.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 411 (100%+)

If it was in perfect working condition when he took possession of it, you are not responsible for what happens after that point. Most manufacturers are able to fix them for a reasonable fee or will offer a replacement at discounted rate. If you wanted to go ABOVE AND BEYOND you could throw a few bucks toward a repair or replacement, but you are in no way obligated to do so. It is unfortunate for your buyer, but any reasonable person would not expect a seller to warranty a used electronic product after it is received in perfect working order.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Correct me if am wrong but... used rc parts is buyer beware. You know, due to the nature of this hobby refunds are not allowed. I buy stuff all the time on here and I know that Im hoping for the best but expect the worst. I would say that 99.5% of people are honest and they let you know what your getting before you buy. So if you told him what he was getting, he got it and tested it, and it was good at that time then you should not feel bad. But if you decide to do something then go no more then a 50% refund.

Just my 2 cents

Smitty
Old 02-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's unfortunate, but as others have indicated, you don't owe him a refund.

Everyone here should know that when they buy gear, used or NIB, it could break 10 seconds, 10 minutes or 10 hours after they start using it. Nothing we buy comes with any assurances that it won't break.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Honestly you delivered it as stated, he received it in that same condition and confirmed it worked then your clear. When you buy used its always a gamble.
(just my two pennies)
Old 02-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gawith0413
Honestly after he did all that with the esc and motor I wouldn't refund the money. There are a lot factors that come into place. This is a very tough situation because you don't want to be a jerk about it, but you don't want to be out the motor/esc and the money.
I agree , after then bench test I would have let my gard down. The is now nothing left. Once installed in the RC to many factors that could have contributed to failure not to exclude running to many cells, bad esc, shorted wires. My personal favorite bad solder job.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shortbusallstar
he blew it & wants a freebee, not your fault used market price has its risks.
crude but thats the truth.
nice...short and sweet....i think your buyer is out the money.
its not your fault, you gave it to him working...stuff happens
like he said used marketplace has its risks
i wouldnt give him a dime if you sent it out working to him
Old 02-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

The other REAL possibility is; he did a crappy job soldering it up, and one of the several connections he made may not have held up. You can bench test a motor with alligator clips, but put it in a car with that same level of connection and it's going to break connection as soon as any real current passes through. Ask him to recheck his battery connector wiring, his motor wiring, and if he has the means check to see if the esc is getting power. Did he try it with a different battery? I had a turnigy 2S that took a charge, but when you plugged it in and turned on the esc, no juice. A connection inside the battery had come undone, and I had to redo it. Worth a shot. ESCs don't "kinda" work, they either do or don't. so if it bench tested alright, then it either fried afterwards (meaning there was nothing faulty with what you sold him), or he has a wiring-up issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.