HELP ME OUT I NEED INPUT

Old 02-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 293 (100%+)

I would probably help him with his settings and see if there is maybe something he has set wrong.

Looking at your listing, you don't really have anything in there stating a seller policy concerning your items. It may benefit you in the future to have something stating what your terms are for items you sell used.

I personally would think that since he tested it and said it was okay already you would be in the clear, but, what I think versus what paypal may think are two different things.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Default what kind of car is it in?

out of curiosity, what esc/motor and car is it in? is he using it on carpet?
we are in south bend indiana racing, and we have a really bad static issue at our indoor capret track. installed my backup tekin rs in my touring car, (after i fryed my rs pro) and ran my car. 3 minutes into my heat, the esc was acting like it was not seeing the sensor wire. (it blew a phase). when i picked my car up, i got a static shock from it. again, the same thing happened to my rs pro. there is nothing you can do to fix it. it must be replaced. so im wondering if the buyer has had this issue.

but i agree that these things happens and unfortunately, electronics are always at risk for failure.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

if it was a novak a bad sensor wire would make it not work
Old 02-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Man...I feel for Ya. Not a great position to be in. Do your best to help. If nothing else, it might help to actually find the cause of the failure or fix a problem that he's missing.
You did your part though. Bench testing should have been enough to see problems like bad solders but once it's at the track things like faulty sensor wires or bad gearing or shorting a battery can and DO happen. Thats not in your control.
Start with the simple things. Change the sensor wire. One of my club drivers had this issue and it drove him nuts for weeks. Then I pressured him to change it at the track one day. Another driver had a spare. Worked fine and is STLL working fine. Cheap fix. From there things get worse unfortunately. Good Luck, you got plenty of support. Get him on the forum too...maybe all these experienced voices can help.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Well here is THE side of the story that is missing.

xtremespeed43 is our customer here at Track Star and with my advise I told him that the Grand Turismo 1.0/1.1 is a great ESC for what he was intending to use it for so he purchased it from Jaypeezy.

Upon receiving it he called me to let me know that he had received it in the mail and was installing it. The first thing I asked him to do before even touching it was to smell it. If it smelled burnt stop and bring it here. He said it did not so it was installed in his 2wd buggy with the 17.5 and it lit up and the throttle worked and it had power to the servo. He asked if I was going to our local track on Wednesday so we could meet up to get some tires he needed to finish his buggy. We agreed to meet there.

At the track while he waited for his battery to charge, I glued up his tires mean while he was showing me the great deal he got. With everything done I walked his car over to the track set him down and he went out. He got roughly half a lap through and the car shut off, completely. No steering nothing. So a marshal grabbed it and brought it over. I pulled the body off of it and turned the switch off and back on. It came back to life. I wiggled the switch, checked connections, looked at the sensor wire. Nothing made it shut off. So I set it back down and off he went. He made it about a turn after where it quit before and quit again. We pulled it off of the track.

Frustrated he packed up and left. Next morning he called to ask me if there was a setting that he could maybe change with the setting box that came with it. I told him before he even touches it to get a hold off the seller and see what could be done. That was the last I heard until he forwarded me this thread to look at and read. With all of the conjecture that is being posted it is our decision to help xtremespeed43 and have this esc repaired if Speed Passion will or can (being an older model). If not, we will sell him a new one at cost so he can finally run his buggy.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Well here is THE side of the story that is missing.

xtremespeed43 is our customer here at Track Star and with my advise I told him that the Grand Turismo 1.0/1.1 is a great ESC for what he was intending to use it for so he purchased it from Jaypeezy.

Upon receiving it he called me to let me know that he had received it in the mail and was installing it. The first thing I asked him to do before even touching it was to smell it. If it smelled burnt stop and bring it here. He said it did not so it was installed in his 2wd buggy with the 17.5 and it lit up and the throttle worked and it had power to the servo. He asked if I was going to our local track on Wednesday so we could meet up to get some tires he needed to finish his buggy. We agreed to meet there.

At the track while he waited for his battery to charge, I glued up his tires mean while he was showing me the great deal he got. With everything done I walked his car over to the track set him down and he went out. He got roughly half a lap through and the car shut off, completely. No steering nothing. So a marshal grabbed it and brought it over. I pulled the body off of it and turned the switch off and back on. It came back to life. I wiggled the switch, checked connections, looked at the sensor wire. Nothing made it shut off. So I set it back down and off he went. He made it about a turn after where it quit before and quit again. We pulled it off of the track.

Frustrated he packed up and left. Next morning he called to ask me if there was a setting that he could maybe change with the setting box that came with it. I told him before he even touches it to get a hold off the seller and see what could be done. That was the last I heard until he forwarded me this thread to look at and read. With all of the conjecture that is being posted it is our decision to help xtremespeed43 and have this esc repaired if Speed Passion will or can (being an older model). If not, we will sell him a new one at cost so he can finally run his buggy.

Nothing against either You or the seller but from your description it appears you've actually tried nothing but visual inspection. Quite honestly, these symptoms are exactly what my driver went through. I truly believe you should try changing the sensor wire. At the very least, as I mentioned earlier, it's a inexpensive way to eliminate 1 possible cause. Irregardless, this still doesn't sound like a problem seller situation. The buyer bench tested and notified the seller all was good.
I hope this works out to the buyers satisfaction. It is ,unfortunately, the risk we all take when buying used electronics. Jaypeezy has great feedback and more transactions than alot of forum users. By all indications he would be a trustworthy seller.
Good Luck to everyone involved. I hope it turns out to be something simple.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

I guess this comes down to honesty. If you ran this sytem yourself before selling it and knew for a fact it ran as it should have. Then your in the clear. Maybe it was user related or it was just it's time to die. Nothing last forever. But if there's a question about it functioning and running and maybe you got it in trade and never ran it, well then... I could see a set up run with no load for a second, but keep cutting once installed. If you sent it not knowing than maybe a refund is in order, if you know it was ready to rock then your good.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Looking at it, Getting mad and leaving do nothing to help solve what the actual problem could be. Check the sensor wire, power cables (especially for "plug in" type batteries with bullets on the battery itself), Sensor wire, ALL solder joints then check to see if ESC is in LiPo mode with a Nimh or has an uncharged LiPo in it.

If all that checks out fine remove it from the vehicle and bench test it, If it fails there grab a known good ESC, motor and battery and test each part individually. Also isn't Speed Passion actually rebranded Hobbywing? If so there could be led's on it that will signal problems.

It's good you guys are offering him a replacement at cost but most likely it is a simple fix or operator error that is the problem. If it doesn't smell burnt it's probably a minor fix.

Just my newbie 2 cents

P.S. - Jaypeezy: If it worked good for you and had no problems then you should not feel bad or refund anything really, There are a TON of factors that go into running and maintaining RC cars that can cause issues and since you were not there when it broke or helping him install the system you are not accountable at all.

Last edited by OrigJoker; 02-03-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: added comments...
Old 02-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I think him just posting this thread shows what kind of seller he is. Honest! Someone who was trying to pull off a shoddy deal wouldn't go advertising it. IMO. I agree it sucks that it happened. Also agree it was very per-mature to go and ask the seller for a refund of an item that hasn't even been inspected, or sent off for repair. Like a lot of of others have said check all points of failure first. So nice of a hobby shop owner to reduce his overhead at cost.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Agree that the seller is in the clear. A LHS owner posts trying to make it seem like he is offering more info, but only offered minimal info. The buyer is obviously new to rc. The post offering more info did not say if any of the wiring/soldering was checked for continuity (a visual inspection and wiggling of the on/off switch? lol), did not say what kind of batteries were used, if anyone bothered to try a different set of batteries, etc..

I have had servos go bad that caused shutdowns, had a spektrum rx that did the same thing (thought it was the esc), and had bad battery connections do the same thing. Why wasn't any of this checked, especially if there were supposedly experienced people there to help him?

Sorry to sound like I am ragging on anyone, it is not my intent. Anyone that has experience knows there are many things that can cause an rc to run like crap or not at all, and these things should at very least be ruled out before blaming a seller and saying defective merchandise sold.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 187 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badaml
Agree that the seller is in the clear. A LHS owner posts trying to make it seem like he is offering more info, but only offered minimal info. The buyer is obviously new to rc. The post offering more info did not say if any of the wiring/soldering was checked for continuity (a visual inspection and wiggling of the on/off switch? lol), did not say what kind of batteries were used, if anyone bothered to try a different set of batteries, etc..

I have had servos go bad that caused shutdowns, had a spektrum rx that did the same thing (thought it was the esc), and had bad battery connections do the same thing. Why wasn't any of this checked, especially if there were supposedly experienced people there to help him?

Sorry to sound like I am ragging on anyone, it is not my intent. Anyone that has experience knows there are many things that can cause an rc to run like crap or not at all, and these things should at very least be ruled out before blaming a seller and saying defective merchandise sold.

+1000

Check everything humanly possible before trying to blame the seller. If you dont know how get some help. I do find it a bit humorous all the shop owner did was wiggle the on/off switch...

I had a dumbass file a claim against me putting my paypal -$450 saying i sold him a defective truck. Turns out the idiot didnt know you have to calibrate the esc to his radio. I walked him through it and got it working ,and he removed the claim. I wouldnt have bad mouthed him but he was a complete douchebag during the whole process.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Next morning he called to ask me if there was a setting that he could maybe change with the setting box that came with it. I told him before he even touches it to get a hold off the seller and see what could be done.
You've got to be kidding me the LHS store comes in to put his long written paragraphs of nothing LOL. So he didn't even bother making sure it was set right before running it, is what your saying?

To the OP: dude your clear, but unfortunately Paypal isn't always fair to the seller. Helping pay for repair would be nice, but you're not obligated IMO. Unless if you knew beforehand that it had problems then you're good IMO.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You have no responsibility to refund anything. If he had bought it from a LHS and got it home and it quit the buyer would be in the same situation. At least my LHS will not accept refunds or returns on ESCs and batts, you have to deal with the manufacturer at that point.