Wiki Posts
Search

Paypal Scam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 03:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Paypal Scam?

I've got a couple of items listed. I got a PM response offering me $$$ for one of the items. So I accepted the offer and PM'ed my paypal ID back to him. I go to check my paypal tonight, and I have to reset my password, have new security questions answered, etc, etc. Does that mean this clown tried to hack my paypal account? Anyone else have this happen to them?

If so, I will post his user ID on here so other people can avoid him. I've always tried to deal locally to avoid things of this nature, but you can get alot more activity on here.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Before you do anything harsh or potentially hazardous to yourself or others,
contact Paypal independantly (I.E. Call them from the number listed other than in the email you got) .. See what they say.. It could be legit! or it could be a 3rd party scam.. and yes it may infact me someone through this very site.

Call Paypal directly.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

also if you got a email from paypal saying you have a problem with the account never click on the link to sign in,it is some one phising how ever you spell it. trying to get your user name and password.

if you gave you paypal ID for payment it could have been this buyer or some one else at random. always make your password letters & numbers!! never click on any links tha tare emailed to saying you have a problem with your paypal account it's a fishing email to lure in to logging in from the link provided buy the scammer/thief to get your log in info.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Contact PayPal there was a scam going around and if you clicked the link to what was supposed to be your account it was a mirror setup and when you entered your info it gave them all your info. They could then get on your paypal account. Never click a link to to PayPal from an email.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Yeah. I always log in through PayPal, never through a link. I just made a sale to a legit customer and shipped his order. Payment was good. No issues. Then this happens, and I wonder if one of the offers on the radio Im selling is legit. Great experience, then a crappy one. No good deed goes unpunished, I suppose.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Also it's a good idea to fwd any e-mail you think suspicious to pay pal, It's called [email protected], you can access this link also on their site under Security and Protection.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Exclamation paypal email scam

Yep, here it is:

Dear PayPal Member:

Attention! Your PayPal account has been limited!

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal account.We requested information from you for the following reason:

Our system detected unusual charges to a credit card linked to your PayPal account
Reference Number: PP-559-197-791

This is the Last reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible. Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access.

Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.
Click here to activate your account

If you didn't add this email, let us know right away. It's important because it helps us make sure no one is getting into your account without your knowledge.

Sincerely,
PayPal

Watch out!!!

Last edited by Precision1; 02-02-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

If you did everything independently of any email/PM (i.e. you logged in to Paypal directly, not through a link) it is more likely that your account was just prompted to update security.

If you have an older Paypal account, you may not have had any of those security levels in place.

A lot of ecommerce sites randomly select member profiles for security info updating. It helps keep the database more secure.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I don't see a link in there. Mine came with a link and like a fool and clicked on it. After that it asked for my SIN! Then I knew something was up and cancelled CC, changed password, reported it, etc, etc. NEVER AGAIN.

Bottom line Paypal told me is NEVER click a link in an email from someone claiming to be them.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

There was a link in there, I highlighted it. It was a scam.

If you get this email go directly to paypal, don't click the link.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Whoops. Better go get checked for color blindness.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

thats why i have my paypal linked to 1 of those green dot prepaid cards and i usualy spend the funds i make almost right away
Old 02-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Thanks for the heads up.
just got this email and I can see how some one would just click on it with out thinking.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 187 (100%+)

Yeah its a pretty old phishing scam. I doubt the person he was dealing with sent him the e-mail. It was probably just a coincidence.

Be careful out there people. This time of scam happens for all different companies. Credit cards, Ebay, Bank accounts, even Facebook!!