Tips on shipping to Canada

Old 10-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 260 (100%+)
Default Tips on shipping to Canada

hey guys,

I am thinking of selling some items to someone in Canada. haven't done that in a long time, so was curious if anyone has any tips on shipping to Canada?

I plan to use USPS, but the main things I need are

- tracking with signature confirmation of some sort
- Insurable for high dollar amount (say $500 or more)

Also, does paypal have any special clauses about seller protection when shipping to Canada? Just want to make sure if I accept payment its covered by seller protection policies like in USA.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I don't think you can get any tracking with signature confirmation from USPS, it stops at the border..and they can't really tell you how long customs has it for. I would look into FedEx or UPS maybe they can do better, do to the fact that they have people in Canada and the postal
Service doesn't.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

USPS transfers directly into the hands of Canada post as a package comes through customs. Also you can track a USPS tracking # via canadapost right from origination in the states. I have had quite a bit of stuff coming up from Amain hobbies and various ebay chop shops this summer and where possible i pay the extra to get the USPS Priority Mail International 6-10 day service and it had been very good to me.

The regular USPS whatever its called (flat rate shipping) can take up to 3-4 weeks to arrive. Biggest hassle now is the Customs declaration shenanigans. Both to Canada and from Canada to the states that paperwork is a hassle.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 260 (100%+)

thanks for the info!
Old 10-14-2011, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

USPS is the way to go. We do it daily. Its inexpensive, trackable (priority) and reliable.