Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > For Sale/Trade Forums > Buyer/Seller dispute and discussion forum
Getting close to 45 days... should I file a claim? >

Getting close to 45 days... should I file a claim?

Getting close to 45 days... should I file a claim?

Old 07-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Getting close to 45 days... should I file a claim?

I paid for an rc truck over a month ago. For one reason or another I didn't get a tracking number, but figured no big deal since I have 45 days to receive it, or claim it.

Last Friday the seller told me the truck was returned to him because of "incomplete address". Seller said he didn't see street name & number (even thought it was sent complete from Paypal) and thought it wasn't needed for Canada, said it's his first time shipping to Canada. That's possible, no biggie.

But assuming the truck goes out today, it will be cutting it close to the 45 day mark by the time I receive it.

Should I file a claim with Paypal "just in case"?
What if I say I didn't receive it, and the seller gives Paypal a tracking number... will the case be automatically closed or can I keep it open until I receive it in case it doesn't arrive as described?

Or should I do something else? I did not pay by "gift" (and seller never asked me to).
Old 07-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Just file a claim just in case. If the item shows up, then simply close the claim.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Will Paypal close the claim if seller gives a tracking number?
How long can I keep a claim open for?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I thought Canadian Post was on strike?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Tech Regular

Strike ended in June.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 186 (100%+)

I would file a claim, and the seller should provide a tracking info as soon he shipped that's the proper way to do it. Do it before the allowed time to do it end.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Tech Regular

In his defence I never made it part of the deal (that he must get a tracking #) when we were discussing the details. However, is it even possible to send something that large and not obtain a tracking number?
In Canada any package over 1kg or so will automatically have a tracking #, even if sent by the absolute cheapest way.

Last edited by Gweedz; 07-25-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gweedz View Post
In his defence I never made it part of the deal (that he must get a tracking #) when we were discussing the details. However, is it even possible to send something that large and not obtain a tracking number?
In Canada any package over 1kg or so will automatically have a tracking #, even if sent by the absolute cheapest way.
It should be trackable no matter which way he sends it to you... If he ships UPS Canada Standard (Ground) it will have a tracking number. If he ships it Priority Mail International I believe it will come with a delivery confirmation # by default and those are the two least expensive ways I know of that he could ship it to you.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My opinion: stop wasting time asking "should I...what if...is it even possible..." and get the claim in. Explain to the seller that you have to submit the claim now, or you won't have an opportunity to. It's nothing personal against him, but that you have to protect yourself.

If/when the package arrives, you can close your claim.

If seller provides a tracking number, and that tracking number does NOT show "successful delivery" then the claim should remain open until it is resolved.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Tech Regular

You're right. I was trying to cover all my bases in case he came up with excuses, but no point in worrying about that unless it happens.

I'll post back here if I run into more problems. Crossing my fingers...

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

Just now I happened to get this email from him:

Package shipped again still no tracking info it was extra and I already have $65 dollars in shipping sorry that it didn't go well.

$65 is way too much - I really hope he didn't have to pay twice because it was returned!

I still have no reason to believe he's not 100% honest - he's been a good guy to deal with, but I've been burned too many times, I really can't afford to take a hit on this one, so I'll be filing a claim just in case.
I feel like an ass doing it though LOL
Old 07-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 186 (100%+)

Just now I happened to get this email from him:

Package shipped again still no tracking info it was extra and I already have $65 dollars in shipping sorry that it didn't go well.

$65 is way too much - I really hope he didn't have to pay twice because it was returned!

I still have no reason to believe he's not 100% honest - he's been a good guy to deal with, but I've been burned too many times, I really can't afford to take a hit on this one, so I'll be filing a claim just in case.
I feel like an ass doing it though LOL
I would let him know what you are doing and why, that way at least he knows you arent trying to pull one over on him.

If it gets returned then yes you have to pay again for shipping, and yes shipping to Canada is expensive, and yes the cheapest way to ship they dont provide tracking info.

I'm not taking his side, just stating what is possible. Stuff like this can happen when shipping out of the country, which is why i dont like to sell outside the U.S.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Once I get it I'll pitch in for the extra shipping.

If regular shipping is around $30, I don't think that's too different than shipping an RTR truck within the US. And I'm sure if you sent it without a street address it too would be returned. So this has nothing to do with shipping to Canada. But I don't want to turn this into a Canada/US thread.

I may direct him to this thread so he sees the reasoning behind my claim.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Once I get it I'll pitch in for the extra shipping.

If regular shipping is around $30, I don't think that's too different than shipping an RTR truck within the US. And I'm sure if you sent it without a street address it too would be returned. So this has nothing to do with shipping to Canada. But I don't want to turn this into a Canada/US thread.

I may direct him to this thread so he sees the reasoning behind my claim.
I've shipped three RTR's within the US. One was insured, and all of them were parcel post with delivery confirmation. (cheapest way) The most expensive truck was $20 to ship and the other 2 were $15.00

Yes, it's more to Canada and if you are willing to help with shipping upon arrival I would say your more than a stand up guy.

Good luck with a completed sale!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

not a tracking number will not work to canada. the SEller will have to provide the Custom forums number to the OP! if he shipped it he should have filled out a customs forum. ask for the custom forum number this is like a tracking number.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.