Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > For Sale/Trade Forums > Buyer/Seller dispute and discussion forum
Want some opinions on a purchase, what would you guys do? >

Want some opinions on a purchase, what would you guys do?

Want some opinions on a purchase, what would you guys do?

Old 07-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 186 (100%+)
Default Want some opinions on a purchase, what would you guys do?

Hello All, I purchased 2 used soft pack lipos. According to the seller they were both used for only about 6 months and 20 charges, and that they work awesome and had no puffing issues. If this was true they should have plenty of life left.....

When i got the packs i noticed both packs had worn through the insulation on the positive wires where they go into the pack, the wire looked ok, so i was a little displeased, but figured i could heatshrink or tape them.

I charged them and they both charged fine, however I when i got to use them after about 10 mins I had to make a repair, so i stopped my car and i noticed both packs were slightly puffy, not hugely puffed, but definitely enough for me to be like WTF. The Batt's are 2s 40-50c and 5000mah so i shouldn't be taxing the batteries beyond their abilities. they were run in 4s configuration with a mamba monster and 1800kv motor, it was about 80 outside. For reference I have mostly 2s 30c 4000/5000 mah packs and never had an issue before with my other packs.

what do you guys think, is a slight puffing after use normal? Are they safe to use for now, or should i try and return them. I dont think I should be responsible for the shipping costs to ship them back considering the sellers description.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Not to down play your deal... But the last lipo deal I made on here the lipo arrived puffed.
I politely asked the seller about it and his response was
"No clue what happened... Must have puffed during shipping"
After a lie and response like that I just figured it wasn't worth the arguement.
Shame on me I guess for buying a used lipo in hopes of getting something I could use.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

It's hard to say. Slightly puffy to one, to another is they are fine no issues. I never purchase batteries used. If the funds aren't available for better batteries and actually even if they are, I usually buy the turnigy or gens ace and they are so reasonable brand new I don't see a need to buy used.

I don't sell used batteries either as I can in no way state that they are fine and are going to "last" you. I'd rather hand them off to a kid in need or trade for a pop, burger, or race entry?

You could inquire and see how the seller feels about returning them. Used batteries, it's such a tough sell/buy.

edit: you asked if slight puffing is normal after use. I've only been back to RC's now for a few months. From my weekdays at the track I would say half of the guys have packs that puff up a bit. 1/3 have packs that look like a peeps in the microwave...(scary, and if you read this fella's I'm not talking about you ) Mine are rather fresh batteries and have a hard case around them.. I'd get some more feedback about it.. perhaps it's more common and there is still plenty of life left.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Kylar View Post
Hello All, I purchased 2 used soft pack lipos. According to the seller they were both used for only about 6 months and 20 charges, and that they work awesome and had no puffing issues. If this was true they should have plenty of life left.....

When i got the packs i noticed both packs had worn through the insulation on the positive wires where they go into the pack, the wire looked ok, so i was a little displeased, but figured i could heatshrink or tape them.

I charged them and they both charged fine, however I when i got to use them after about 10 mins I had to make a repair, so i stopped my car and i noticed both packs were slightly puffy, not hugely puffed, but definitely enough for me to be like WTF. The Batt's are 2s 40-50c and 5000mah so i shouldn't be taxing the batteries beyond their abilities. they were run in 4s configuration with a mamba monster and 1800kv motor, it was about 80 outside. For reference I have mostly 2s 30c 4000/5000 mah packs and never had an issue before with my other packs.

what do you guys think, is a slight puffing after use normal? Are they safe to use for now, or should i try and return them. I dont think I should be responsible for the shipping costs to ship them back considering the sellers description.
Depends on how puffy they get and if they start to get warm.... I would ask for a refund since they came with messed up wires and are puffy.... There is no reason for them to puff in 10 minutes if they were not already messed up. Also I know you are not here to screw around and are a straight shooter.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

That is normal for a battery to puff a little. Did it go back down? My lipos do it everytime i run them. What was the temp on them. And the guy mite not have seem the bare wire. My lipos get up to around 140 degrees and what does heat do? There is nothing wrong with a little puffing
Old 07-12-2011, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

Kylar is definitely not out to screw anyone. I would chalk it up to a difference of opinion. I know you take good care of your stuff, the seller maybe not as much and in turn they viewed the lipos as good etc.

I've never had a lipo puff on me. I've owned 2 used (which I got in a local pick up and were in really good shape) and 4 new. Given the prices of hobbyking or hobbypartz, I only will buy new now (unless a used one is included in a package deal etc).

I would look to return them, you might have to eat the $5.70 shipping but you should get a full refund aside from that.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Lipo Puffing

This past race day it was well over 100(105'ish) and I had a hardcase lipo 4s puff on me. I have never had any problems out of the battery before. After I let the battery sit and cool off, the puffing went away. I balanced charged it, and raced it in the 2nd round. No problems....actually now that I think about it more, I turned my fastest lap with this battery. It did not puff up again, but at that point the sun/heat was going down...
Old 07-12-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Addict

Seeing that others have stated that kylar isn't out to screw anyone.. I agree with that wholeheartedly. I hope I didn't come across that it's his fault in any way. Please be nice to that servo I bought from you that your shipping today.

With that said, I guess it shouldn't even matter what the cost of the batteries was. If the description of the batteries stated NO PUFFING at all then you have a valid reason for return. I can't say for sure the seller will cover/should cover return shipping but as stated, I assume it won't be much to parcel post them with delivery confirmation.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the support guys!

I'm still not sure, some say a little puffing is normal, some say they should never puff at all...lol Yes the puffing did go back down, they are normal now.

I guess i'll give them another try and see how it is, if they still puff up i might send them back. The seller did offer a refund if i return them.

Normally i dont buy used lipos either, but these were suppose to be in great shape and they were really cheap, like 2 for 1 type of deal
Old 07-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eri3f0g View Post
Seeing that others have stated that kylar isn't out to screw anyone.. I agree with that wholeheartedly. I hope I didn't come across that it's his fault in any way. Please be nice to that servo I bought from you that your shipping today.

With that said, I guess it shouldn't even matter what the cost of the batteries was. If the description of the batteries stated NO PUFFING at all then you have a valid reason for return. I can't say for sure the seller will cover/should cover return shipping but as stated, I assume it won't be much to parcel post them with delivery confirmation.
lol, its all good. I understood what you meant.

Yes i shipped the servo out this morning i'll pm you with tracking info
Old 07-13-2011, 07:23 AM
Tech Addict

ahh, good...

So that image of you stomping "my" new servo before you throw it in the mail bin can be let go...

lol!

Old 07-13-2011, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eri3f0g View Post
ahh, good...

So that image of you stomping "my" new servo before you throw it in the mail bin can be let go...

lol!

I would never stomp a servo!!

I just swapped it with a Futaba 3003

lol, j/k!!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Tech Addict

as long as you swapped the sticker from the better one.. who would even notice?