Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > For Sale/Trade Forums > Buyer/Seller dispute and discussion forum
need your opinion guys, please respond >

need your opinion guys, please respond

need your opinion guys, please respond

Old 07-03-2011, 01:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default need your opinion guys, please respond

Ok, here is the deal. I recently sold a Kyosho Stallion Shin edition to a guy on here. We both have perfect feedback on here. I have 81 and he has 27.

I started off asking 200.00 for car and parts and 2 bodies shipped, item is properly described on the thread and that has not been an issue with him. After getting very few inquires about it from anyone, he contacts me and offers 125.00 shipped. I accept that, and he pays my paypal after 8:00pm on Wednesday night the 29th of June. I think I saw it about 9:00 or so, and I respond with a Thanks, it's yours PM.

He never once asked me about which shipping service I was going to use or what delievery speed, like ground service or Priority Mail, or even when it will ship, which I think he should have at least inquired about it if he was expectimg it so quickly, I know when I buy something I usually ask about the shipping and service used.

So Thursday at work was crazy, I had to man the office by myself and I got home later than normal and to make matters more difficult we were having company stay at my house for 2 days, starting that day, so it was crazy at home too, but in a good way.

Friday comes all to soon and now my boss and I are both trying to get things done so we can have a nice holiday with our families, he is on a bit of a rampage because he was needing to submit court documents (he's a lawyer) and he normally doesn't have to do that in his practice. Usually, I can check rctech during my work day for a few minutes at a time and I usually do, but I still need to get my work done. I think it was at this point that I received a PM from my buyer wanting to know if it had shipped and what the tracking was. I did not respond as I really didn't have the time to give him a proper update while I was at work. I again have to leave work later than normal which was a bummer but that is the way it was but we both got everything done.

Today, Saturday I had to leave the house early and my visiting family members were leaving so things we be going back to normal. I got back to my house in the mid afternoon but the post office closes at 1:00 on Saturdays. I log on to RCTECH a little later and he sends me another PM which says that wants an update, which is understandable and I send him detailed response saying that I now have a good box to ship it in and I will be shipping it first thing on Tuesday morning which is the next time any service would be able to ship it. I told him in the PM, what has created this problem, and I offered to ship it Priority Mail with USPS at my additional cost, this service would get it to him by next Thursday or Friday at the latest. If I had shipped it by UPS it probaly would not have arrived any sooner going by ground service. Please keep in mind it's the 4th of July holiday so it would take even longer than normal. I think this is a pretty decent thing to do to get the car there to him in basically the same amount of time.

In addition to the upgraded service, I also said that I would be including at least one free item and possible more to him that he is not expecting to recieve, it's a small token of a guesture to make it up to him.

Instead he says this is unacceptable and wants a complete refund and makes a comment about having to "track" me down which is complete bull. I have the many PM's saved to prove it. Except for one PM, the one I got at work which I already explained, hardly any time past between responces to the others.

I have now refunded every penny to him, less than 2 hours since he requested it and the only reason it took this long was I could not believe that this is what he wanted and he would not accept my offer or explanation.

Lastly, despite that I don't agree with him and the position he is taking, he remained very civil. Neither of us called each other names or any of that sort, in fact he probably is even a good guy but I feel he has unrealistic expectations about shipping. The biggest issue is this took place mid week and with a Holiday coming to boot. If he had paid me on a Monday than it could have shipped by mid week even if all the other things had still occured. Holidays are great except for what happens to mail and shipping of packages

So I ask you huys to chime in, but be reasonable to both parties. I explained what happened in timely fasion to him and kept him updated in a acceptable time frame as well, I can't live on here, no one can. I even offered upgraded shipping (at my cost) and some free usefull items to him but instead he only wanted a refund which I have already provided. I am curious to hear your thoughts.

Steve

Last edited by corallyman; 07-03-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
Ok, here is the deal. I recently sold a Kyosho Stallion Shin edition to a guy on here. We both have perfect feedback on here. I have 81 and he has 27.

I started off asking 200.00 for car and parts and 2 bodies shipped, item is properly described on the thread and that has not been an issue with him. After getting very few inquires about it from anyone, he contacts me and offers 125.00 shipped. I accept that, and he pays my paypal after 8:00pm on Wednesday night the 29th of June. I think I saw it about 9:00 or so, and I respond with a Thanks, it's yours PM.

He never once asked me about which shipping service I was going to use or what delievery speed, like ground service or Priority Mail.

So Thursday at work was crazy, I had to man the office by myself and I got home later than normal and to make matters more difficult we were having company stay at my house for 2 days, starting that day, so it was crazy at home too, but in a good way.

Friday comes all to soon and now my boss and I are both trying to get things done so we can have a nice holiday with our families, he is on a bit of a rampage because he was needing to submit court documents (he's a lawyer) and he normally soesn't have to do that in his practice. Usually, I can check rctech during my work day for a few minutes at a time and I usually do, but I still need to get my work done. I think it was at this point that I received a PM from my buyer wanting to know if it had shipped and what the tracking was. I did not respond as I really didn't have the time to give him a proper update while I was at work. I again have to leave work later than normal which was a bummer but that is the way it was but we both got everything done.

Today, Saturday I had to leave the house early and my visiting family members were leaving so things we be going back to normal. I got back to my house in the mid afternoon but the post office closes at 1:00 on Saturdays. I log on to RCTECH a little later and he sends me another PM which says that wants an update, which is understandable and I send him detailed response saying that I now have a good box to ship it in and I will be shipping it first thing on Tuesday morning which is the next time any service would be able to ship it. I told him in the PM, what has created this problem, and I offered to ship it Priority Mail with USPS at my additional cost, this service would get it to him by next Thursday or Friday at the latest. If I had shipped it by UPS it probaly would not have arrived any sooner going by ground service. Please keep in mind it's the 4th of July holiday so it would take even longer than normal. I think this is a pretty decent thing to do to get the car there to him in basically the same amount of time.

In addition to the upgraded service, I also said that I would be including at least one free item and possible more to him that he is not expecting to recieve, it's a small token of a guesture to make it up to him.

Instead he says the is unacceptable and wants a complete refund and makes a comment about have to "track" me down which is complete bull. I have the many PM's saved to prove it.

I have now refund every penny to him, less than 2 hours since he requested it and the only reason it took this long was I could not believe that this is what he wanted and would not accept my offer or explanation. Maybe he found another car, I have no idea but I sure that has happened before.

Lastly, despite that I don't agree with him and the position he is taking, he remained very civil. Neither of us called either of us names and any of that BS, in fact he probably is even a good guy but I feel he has unrealistic expectations about shipping. The biggest issue is this took place mid week and with a Holiday to boot. If he had paid me on a Monday than it could have shipped by mid week even if all the other things had still occured. Holidays are great except for the expecting of packages

So I ask you huys to chime in, but be reasonable to both parties. I explained what happened in timely fasion to him and keep him updated in a acceptable time frame as well, I can't live on here, no one can. I even offered upgraded shipping and some free usefull items to him but instead he only wanted a refund which I have already provided. I am curious to hear your thoughts.

Steve

Problem is I still have yet to find a good box,
He's right, you slacked on shipping him his stuff. You claim to have been busy but that's not his problem. You could have had ups and/or fedex pick up from your office you say you were stuck at. I bet you found time to eat lunch each day.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PFKAOG View Post
He's right, you slacked on shipping him his stuff. You claim to have been busy but that's not his problem. You could have had ups and/or fedex pick up from your office you say you were stuck at. I bet you found time to eat lunch each day.
Thanks for your opinion, and I never said that I did everything that was humanly possible but what difference is it if I paid for a more costly shipping method to make it up. You quoted the whole post but did you read it. I was working with him to make it up to him but he did not want it so I refunded the money to him.

Again, please explain how can you expect to get what you want when you do not set any expectations with a seller. How long would it have taken for himto ask these details, not any longer for me to answer them.

Do you ever favor the seller in these disputes, it seems like you always defer to the buyers? Do I have you confused with someone else.

and yes I did find time to eat. I bring my own healthy lunch to work.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:43 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
Thanks for your opinion, and I never said that I did everything that was humanly possible but what difference is it if I paid for a more costly shipping method to make it up. You quoted the whole post but did you read it. I was working with him to make it up to him but he did not want it so I refunded the money to him.

Again, please explain how can you expect to get what you want when you do not set any expectations with a seller. How long would it have taken for himto ask these details, not any longer for me to answer them.

Do you ever favor the seller in these disputes, it seems like you always defer to the buyers? Do I have you confused with someone else.

and yes I did find time to eat. I bring my own healthy lunch to work.
The first line of this thread asks for opinions. I gave one. Sorry if you dont like it. He paid on Wed and you let 3 days go by without shipping the goods...

Last edited by PFKAOG; 07-03-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PFKAOG View Post
The first line of this thread asks for opinions. I gave one. Sorry if you dont like it. He paid on Wed and you let 2 days go by without shipping the goods...
I honestly thanked you for it, that was not sarcasm, the food line was though

Ok so I did research, this is straight from UPS's website. If I had mailed it by Thursday the 30th of June by 5:00 o'clock, I would paid 14.45 for it and he would recieve by end of day July 6th a Wednesday. The solution I propossed would have gotten it to him on Thursday (one day later) and it would have contained some free items.

Again, maybe I could have pounded the garage harder for a box and skipped out on family visiting but was my solution not working towards a fair deal. And again, he never asked about shipping details, that would have most likely resolved all of this.

Steve
Old 07-03-2011, 02:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

well you have to understand alot of good traders go bad but family and work comes first. yes I know he paid, but patience goes along way you offered some extras and he didnt want it. so you refunded he money no harm done his lost.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by xl8er View Post
well you have to understand alot of good traders go bad but family and work comes first. yes I know he paid, but patience goes along way you offered some extras and he didnt want it. so you refunded he money no harm done his lost.
Thanks for your opinion, I do appreciate. I still feel like I did a solid job of working with him but maybe I learned something as well

Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-03-2011, 03:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

What might have concerned him was seeing you online or seeing you had been online and not answered his PM.

Shipping on Tuesday would have been 5 days that had past after payment. Unless a seller specifically contacts me and lets me know it will be late, I expect tracking info within 3 days.

If you had been proactive as a seller and communicated to him that you had a busy schedule until the following week I am sure there would have been no issue. Constant communication makes for a smooth transaction. It isn't hard to take 5 minutes to send a PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

I think you were very reasonable. You tried to make it right. I have no problem with a seller taking a few extra days to ship if they keep me informed. Getting an item within a week of buying it on a forum is pretty good in my book. In this age of instant gratification, people have gotten where they expect stuff yesterday. I don't care how good of a seller you are, you'll never make everybody happy. With the number of feedback you have, you've obviously been doing something right. Keep up the good work .
Old 07-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

I wont comment on the issue, but I will say this: Once a buyer pays you for something, you have entered a contract to do your part of shipping it, as soon as possible IMO. If you order something from Amain, or any other retailer, and they waited three or four days to pack it, and then ship on the forth day, how would that sit with you? I wouldn't like it too much.. May be the instant gratification thing, but changing the culture is going to take a long time..The seller, once paid is a retailer, and if there is a problem, then you need to communicate with the buyer, as you now have his/her $ and his/her item, and it's your responsibility to assure him/her that you are not going to keep both-ever get the uneasy feeling after you buy something online from a private party? Unless there is communication-tracking.. etc. then the buyer doesnt' get reassured that they will get what they paid for, and things will usually go downhill from there unless you let them know what's going on.. A tracking # is like communicating with the buyer, they can (usually) see the item has been sent, so there is no more worries-(again usually)-I try and make sure the buyer gets the tracking info asap, and I usually ask for it after payment has been made..

just my --->
Old 07-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flame56mx View Post
I wont comment on the issue, but I will say this: Once a buyer pays you for something, you have entered a contract to do your part of shipping it, as soon as possible IMO. If you order something from Amain, or any other retailer, and they waited three or four days to pack it, and then ship on the forth day, how would that sit with you? I wouldn't like it too much.. May be the instant gratification thing, but changing the culture is going to take a long time..The seller, once paid is a retailer, and if there is a problem, then you need to communicate with the buyer, as you now have his/her $ and his/her item, and it's your responsibility to assure him/her that you are not going to keep both-ever get the uneasy feeling after you buy something online from a private party? Unless there is communication-tracking.. etc. then the buyer doesnt' get reassured that they will get what they paid for, and things will usually go downhill from there unless you let them know what's going on.. A tracking # is like communicating with the buyer, they can (usually) see the item has been sent, so there is no more worries-(again usually)-I try and make sure the buyer gets the tracking info asap, and I usually ask for it after payment has been made..

just my --->
Well said !! Sometimes things come up with shipping a day later than promised,but communication is key.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Whenever I sell something, be it here, other forums, eBay etc... I take a plethora of pictures ... Use a few for the ad and have extra detailed ones on hand if asked for some later. That in itself saves me lots of hassle and time during a deal.

I also safely wrap and pack item/items in a box completely taped up only needing an address to be shipped and THEN place the ad where ever it may be to try and sell or trade it. THIS method absolutely saves a LOT of grief, rushing around and delay when sold.

I also consider a sale or trade online SUPERIOR to the rest of my life. If everything I just mentioned is in line... Seriously .... How much hassle is it to then write a name and address on the package and drop it at the post office?
Honestly.... Barring a death or extreme family emergency, getting that package out ASAP is #1 priority... As I believe it should be.

It sounds like in your case... You had no serious emergencies, you were in and out of your home numerous times and could have swung in a post office for 2-3 minutes at any time during any of your outings, and if you seemingly work for a lawyer.... You could have easily handed the package to the postman that handles the mail.

My $.02. You dropped the ball and I would also be kind of upset. I think the fact that you couldn't take a brief moment to explain to the buyer your situation the first day when it should have shipped and instead didn't respond to him for days...3 was it? You say you responded to him in a "timely fashion"?... I bet you most likely checked and responded several times a days trying to sell it. But once you had payment, 3 days is a timely fashion?

In a nutshell... I feel waiting 3 days to hear from you after paying IS "tracking you down"
You still not having it already shipped 3 days later is upsetting.
The buyer then have to wait a full week from the time he paid until the package even hits a post office is wrong.
Holiday or not.... That fact should have made you make the sending of package even a bigger priority knowing the extra delay it would cause for him to receive what he paid for.
Saying he never specified what kind of shipping was to be used is nothing more then grasping at straws for an excuse.... Of course he wants it fast as possible... Who would ever buy something and choose the back of an arthritic turtle compared to a supersonic rocket ship?

Either way... You wanted $200 and quickly dropped to $125?
Seems you could re list it and sell it very fast at the $125

Last edited by Joe_Dirt; 07-03-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jacsac View Post
What might have concerned him was seeing you online or seeing you had been online and not answered his PM.

Shipping on Tuesday would have been 5 days that had past after payment. Unless a seller specifically contacts me and lets me know it will be late, I expect tracking info within 3 days.

If you had been proactive as a seller and communicated to him that you had a busy schedule until the following week I am sure there would have been no issue. Constant communication makes for a smooth transaction. It isn't hard to take 5 minutes to send a PM.
You are right and Thanks! I will be a little better next time. In the past, I have sold many items here and received plenty of positive comments. I was online during everyday and we sent and received many PM's back and forth. I think I received over 7 and sent the same amount back to him.

Keep in mind that this is a holiday weekend so shipping delays are to be expected. I found a solution that would have gotten his car to him only one day later than if I had shipped it the next day. I did respond to him all of this very quickly actually. Only one Pm was not answered that quickly and I as explained, I was at work and it would have taken time to write a detailed pm like he wanted. Jobs are scarce in what I do, and I can't stay on RCTECH for long periods of time during the work day.

Steve
Old 07-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Joe_Dirt View Post
Whenever I sell something, be it here, other forums, eBay etc... I take a plethora of pictures ... Use a few for the ad and have extra detailed ones on hand if asked for some later. That in itself saves me lots of hassle and time during a deal.

I also safely wrap and pack item/items in a box completely taped up only needing an address to be shipped and THEN place the ad where ever it may be to try and sell or trade it. THIS method absolutely saves a LOT of grief, rushing around and delay when sold.

I also consider a sale or trade online SUPERIOR to the rest of my life. If everything I just mentioned is in line... Seriously .... How much hassle is it to then write a name and address on the package and drop it at the post office?
Honestly.... Barring a death or extreme family emergency, getting that package out ASAP is #1 priority... As I believe it should be.

It sounds like in your case... You had no serious emergencies, you were in and out of your home numerous times and could have swung in a post office for 2-3 minutes at any time during any of your outings, and if you seemingly work for a lawyer.... You could have easily handed the package to the postman that handles the mail.

My $.02. You dropped the ball and I would also be kind of upset. I think the fact that you couldn't take a brief moment to explain to the buyer your situation the first day when it should have shipped and instead didn't respond to him for days...3 was it? You say you responded to him in a "timely fashion"?... I bet you most likely checked and responded several times a days trying to sell it. But once you had payment, 3 days is a timely fashion?

In a nutshell... I feel waiting 3 days to hear from you after paying IS "tracking you down"
You still not having it already shipped 3 days later is upsetting.
The buyer then have to wait a full week from the time he paid until the package even hits a post office is wrong.
Holiday or not.... That fact should have made you make the sending of package even a bigger priority knowing the extra delay it would cause for him to receive what he paid for.
Saying he never specified what kind of shipping was to be used is nothing more then grasping at straws for an excuse.... Of course he wants it fast as possible... Who would ever buy something and choose the back of an arthritic turtle compared to a supersonic rocket ship?

Either way... You wanted $200 and quickly dropped to $125?
Seems you could re list it and sell it very fast at the $125
Joe,

Thanks for your comments as well. He sent his first communication to me on the 28th of June offering me his money late at night. In total he sent 11 PM's to me. I responded back to 9 of them. One of them did not get responded to because he sent two in back to back fasion and I responded to both in one PM. The longest period between a unaswered PM was less than one day, I will check the exact time here shortly. I did communicate with him and tried to solve his issue for him and we remained civil. He requested his money back and he got it after a PM exchange of probably 4 PM's back and forth alone. That request to get him his money back took less than 2 hours, and it took that long because I needed to make sure that is what he wanted, and when he assured me it was then I sent it 3 minutes later after that PM.

Thanks for your comments though.

Steve
Old 07-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

At 10:05 pm, last night he requested his money back. At 11:19 last night, I had sent a PM stating that I had completed the refund request with Paypal, there were about 4 PM's between us during the first and last PM, that I just referred of. We were in constant communication.

Steve

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.